The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Syria

Default Syria

This comes from a Saudi journalist:
    “Evidence of Obama’s narrow approach to the Syrian crisis can be found in statements he made to Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan in their meeting several days ago. [He said that] there was no ‘magic solution’ to the escalating Syrian crisis and that a realistic solution was needed, [namely] a non-ideal political solution. [But Obama] is the one who complicated the Syrian problem and caused the wound to grow deeper, the bloodshed [to continue]… the voices to grow louder and the thugs to interfere, from Hassan Nasrallah’s militia… to the young men who come from all over [the world] to fight jihad in [the ranks of the Al-Qaeda-affiliated organization] Jabhat Al-Nusra.

“[Obama] is responsible for the fact that Syria has reached this level of confusion and loss. Were it not for his hesitancy, his weak approach, his lack of determination and his eagerness to [gain] popularity on Twitter… the Russian ‘Snow Emperor’ Vladimir Putin wouldn’t have dreamt of attaining the role [he has attained], with the Western world ready to charge him with the task of solving the Syrian problem. [Were it not for Obama's weakness,] Bashar Al-Assad would not have said in a recent interview with the Argentinean paper [Clarin] that he felt he was beginning to overcome the intense pressures that have been exerted upon him. [Moreover,] Iran’s arrogance and contempt wouldn’t have grown to the point of making a public announcement that the war in Syria is its own war and [to the point of] ordering its [operations] officer in Lebanon, Hassan Nasrallah, to declare war and launch resistance [actions] – not on the Israeli border but against the Syrians in Al-Qusair, which has been besieged by Assad’s shabiha[5] and by Nasrallah’s fighters for a while, right in front of Obama!

Personally, I don't put much stock in this. The Arabs tried to negotiate something with Assad and the rebels and got absolutely nowhere, so what did they expect a U.S. President to do ... other than take military action?

If military action was the only solution left after the Arabs could not get the parties to negotiate, then the Saudis & other wealthy Arabs certainly have the means to take such action. But they are so "tribal" in their culture, that they obviously couldn't come to any meeting of the minds among themselves.

Arabs keep complaining that the U.S. interferes in their affairs. This time we have stayed out of it (except for whatever is going on sub rosa ... God only knows what that may be), and they don't like that either.

So, Russia and Iran are making hay out of the situation. It does appear that both Russia and Iran are thumbing their noses at the U.S. So, maybe the Saudi is correct about the perception of "weakness."

Truthfully, possibly the only thing that I think we should do is prevent Iran from getting an operational nuclear capability; and let them duke out & let the sheiks and mullahs work out the rest of their problems themselves. It seems possible that the administration has learned something from the botches in Egypt and Libya, and figures that Syria is a another no-win situation.

Any of you have any brilliant insights?

G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

So we fight al Qaeda in Pakistan and Afghanistan, and support it in Libya,syria, and turn a blind eye to it in Saudi Arabia. We just need to get out of there, let Iran build nuclear facilities, tell Isreal that if you stir the "poo" you have to lick the spoon, and get everyone of our soldiers out of the middle east.

A nuclear Iran is less dangerous than an imperialistic United States.

So Isreal is stirring the "poo"! So much for self-preservation!

An interesting analysis of the Syria situation in view of the use of chemical weapons.
    http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/..._atrocity.html

Basic premise is that nobody wants Iran to win this situation ... especially a lot of Arab countries and Russia. If Iran has nukes, a missile would put those nukes within 15 minutes of Moscow. So, this article comes to the conclusion that the only solution is Obama dealing with Putin behind the scenes.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Mary Anne Marsh, a Democratic consultant whose clients have included the late Ted Kennedy and John Kerry, our current secretary of state. Armed with the latest Democratic talking points, she dismissed any need for Obama to consult with what she dismissed as “a special Congress.”
    Marsh is worth quoting at length:
    There is a special Congress that we’re dealing with right now that has the lowest popularity rating in history and Republicans who overwhelmingly would oppose taking any action. The president of the United States cannot be handcuffed by the same Republicans that are holding the rest of the country hostage on every other issue. That is wrong.

Does this mean that Presidents can just avoid Congress if they feel that Congress disagrees with them? Would this not be a dangerous precedent?

I believe that Marie ???, some administration staff member, made a statement to this same effect ... that the President didn't have to get Congressional approval to take military action on Syria. Looked for the link, but couldn't find it.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Bad enough if they do make military moves on Syria ... but are they stupid enough to telegraph it?
    An American military attack on Syria could begin as early as Thursday and will involve three days of missile strikes, according to "senior U.S. officials" talking to NBC News. The Washington Post has the bombing at "no more than two days," though long-range bombers could "possibly" join the missiles. "Factors weighing into the timing of any action include a desire to get it done before the president leaves for Russia next week," reports CNN, citing a "senior administration official."
    The New York Times, quoting a Pentagon official, adds that "the initial target list has fewer than 50 sites, including air bases where Syria's Russian-made attack helicopters are deployed." The Times adds that "like several other military officials contacted for this report, the official agreed to discuss planning options only on condition of anonymity."
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...pinion_LEADTop
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/po...ikes_will_work
    And the fellow who designed the intended plan says it's really not very useful in the absence of a broader strategic plan.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Yep.Go ahead and wag the dog,starting world war three over a bunch of ******** that hate us on both sides,will always hate us.Let them gas each other up ! The youngsters are just future terrorists anyway.

I just don't see where we have a dog in this fight. Seems to me we should stay out or at the most keep the post stirred and let them kill each other at the fastest rate possible. If we could find a way to draw Iran and the Saudis into it (although I would hate to see Saudi oil production interrupted at this point) even better. The more arabs and persians kill each other, the fewer left to bother us. Some good old fashioned wholesale slaughter might be a boon for the rest of the world.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

And the Bman may put us there by ourselves

http://news.yahoo.com/-u-s--ready-to...225630546.html
    What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?