The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Syria

Hey........What happened to: Benghazi, IRS, NSA scandals, Egypt, the failure of Obamacare enforcement, the tragedy of the White House-drafted sequestration or the upcoming debt limit vote?

Just askin'

Henlee, the question I have is if we intervene, aiding the rebels is a move toward regime change by strengthening the rebels. Meanwhile, we are likely to hurt a whole lot of innocent people; cause much more misery for non-combatants; not gain any friends in the region (both sides already dislike us).

A bunch of Innocent people are going to get hurt either way. It is a moot point. There are more than two sides though the rebel factions are fighting towards a common goal. After they win (if they win) there will be another conflict peaceful or not for control of the country. I would think a lot of the rebel violence is from the groups supplemented by Al-Qaida. They have a history of being "aggressive" in Iraq and Afghanistan. This will weaken their position in the long run, but hard to watch. That is also only speculation because the news doesn't break down all the important nuance. I do believe with this late intervention we are not likely to make friends, but we can kill bad guys and everybody ought to like killing bad guys. If the rebels win and are able to keep fighting among themselves for control of the country, we may be able to do something to gain an ally there, but judging by the way we act it is not likely either.

I do not advocate for regime change by us. If we happen to destroy the Syrian air force and the rebels are able to win then so be it, but with the tactics that they are planning on using and the timetable they have set for themselves regime change should not be a goal. We would fail or get drawn into a much larger campaign.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

About saving face ... we don't save the POTUS' face, or the country's, by making the situation worse. The $ would be better spent by giving even more help to those who have been displaced by this conflict. If there are any positive ends to be gained, it would be from giving humanitarian aid. I'm not sure that doing that will make things much better, but at least it won't make things worse.

If we are not going to give them the chance to save themselves then let them die quickly to end their suffering. They are willing to fight for themselves, they just need the tools to do it.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

A bunch of Innocent people are going to get hurt either way. It is a moot point.
    But do we have to help kill more of them?

If we are not going to give them the chance to save themselves then let them die quickly to end their suffering. They are willing to fight for themselves, they just need the tools to do it.
    There is good evidence that the rebels have been supplied with weapons by many. They just don't have an air force.

If the Saudis are willing to bankroll the US intervention, why are they not willing to send their own air force? Doesn't that give you some pause? The people will be told that American missiles did the killing. Will they every know that they did so at the bidding and paid by the Saudis (and their allies)? I'd venture that the Saudis were not exactly planning on Kerry telling the world who would be bankrolling this?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...t-g-20-summit/
    So, whatever damage US does to Assad, Putin will replace it. Additionally, they would complete delivery of the missile defense system they are selling to Syria.

Does this effectively remove any argument for damaging Assad's military position? And leave only the goal of "saving face"?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

The Saudis will pay us to do it so they don't have an uprising on their hands like the one in Egypt, Syria, Lybia, etc. They is probably a whole bunch of additional promises that are being made. Of course, those in power feel we are to stupid to understand why we need to do this
    Mioaks Southbound Sammy JH
    Leatherwood's Here's Your One Chance Fancy

"Luck is the residue of design"- Branch Rickey

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Hey........What happened to: Benghazi, IRS, NSA scandals, Egypt, the failure of Obamacare enforcement, the tragedy of the White House-drafted sequestration or the upcoming debt limit vote?

Just askin'
    Many Americans have short memories. I think it ties to the instant gratification gene. Once the next issues appears the previous one is ignored irrespective of it being resolved or not.

Just MHO
    What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Published by the Wall Street Journal:
    The U.S. has intercepted an order from Iran to militants in Iraq to attack the U.S. Embassy and other American interests in Baghdad in the event of a strike on Syria, officials said, amid an expanding array of reprisal threats across the region.

Military officials have been trying to predict the range of possible responses from Syria, Iran and their allies. U.S. officials said they are on alert for Iran's fleet of small, fast boats in the Persian Gulf, where American warships are positioned. U.S. officials also fear Hezbollah could attack the U.S. Embassy in Beirut.

While the U.S. has moved military resources in the region for a possible strike, it has other assets in the area that would be ready to respond to any reprisals by Syria, Iran or its allies.

Those deployments include a strike group of the USS Nimitz aircraft carrier and three destroyers in the Red Sea, and an amphibious ship, the USS San Antonio, in the Eastern Mediterranean, which would help with any evacuations.

The U.S. military has also readied Marines and other assets to aid evacuation of diplomatic compounds if needed, and the State Department began making preparations last week for potential retaliation against U.S. embassies and other interests in the Middle East and North Africa.
    Has anyone else noticed how relatively quiet Israel has been on all of this?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Israel typically does not "announce" their battle plans to the world prior to taking action (either defensive or offensive)! This is not the case with the Obama Administration!