The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Syria

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    Israel typically does not "announce" their battle plans to the world prior to taking action (either defensive or offensive)! This is not the case with the Obama Administration!
    During WW2 we had a "saying" in this country ............"Loose lips sink ships". Relatives in the army sent letters home during that time often with parts of them cut out. I can't remember where they were serving etc. but if they forgot and wrote something that was considered "sensitive" it was removed. And those men were not leaking info on purpose ! Our current politicians need to be more careful.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

http://finance.townhall.com/video/vi...syria-n1693442
    Allen West interviews Gen. Vallely. While Allen West has been, so far, an opponent of Syrian intervention, in this interview he is much more neutral, or even giving respectful consideration to the Generals pro-intervention stance.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

I continue to think about Gen. Vallely's assessment. The Gen's position is that there is great risk for failure to act. He lays out what is needed to act effectively.

Yet we do know that Assad has already begun moving the hardware, although he can't move the airports ... but he is bringing in human shields to protect those things he cannot move.

So, what the General's assessment does not address is what happens if we make the military strike, but is not effective? I'd like to hear what "his team" (as he called it in the video) has learned about Assad's actions to limit the effectiveness of an American air strike.

Does the Gen. have assets in place that can keep his team updated on what is happening in that regard? Does the WH have assets on the ground that can provide that information? If the WH has such assets, are they honestly informing Congress of what they know? When Benghazi was being covered up, there was no information provided to Congress. They were given the same lies that the general public was given.

If action can carry more benefit than inaction, then only with honest, accurate information could Congress make an informed decision. Surely there must be someone in Congress who can be trusted with the real information, who is not subject to the "loose lips" syndrome that would endanger national security. If there is someone in Congress like that, whose integrity is respected by a large majority of Congress, this could be a key factor. If the honest, correct information were given to such an individual, and that person could feel convinced of the information's accuracy, that kind of person could be an effective liaison with Congress who believed they could take that colleague on his word, without having to disseminate the exact details to everyone.

That also means that if the administration betrays the integrity of such an individual, there should be hell to pay for the administration.

If national security trumps politics, wouldn't this be one of the ways that sincere leaders would behave? (i.e., tell the truth and rely on integrity)
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

is a more accurate description or more credible info going to change the minds of the American people on what they want to see us do in regard to Syria..its fairly evident by recent polling that the public want NO involvement in another ME conflict, but the media just seems to salivate at the prospect of covering another war, its like they are hyping the pre game before we know if a game is to be played..IF BHO has to talk to the public to convince them that actions are just, thats just pure rationalization

Personally I am growing weary of the way Syria is just dominating the news, Yes its important,but it has wiped out all the other scandalous deeds from the IRS,NSA, and Benghazi off the front page
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Ted Cruz proposes some alternatives to military action.
    Mr. Cruz suggested alternatives to responding to the Aug. 21 chemical attack in Syria, which allegedly killed more than 1,400 people, including cutting off aid to Iraq unless it revokes air rights to Iran, and forcing a vote in the United Nations Security Council to make Russia and China veto it publicly.
    “I don’t think that’s the job of our military to be defending amorphous international norms,” Mr. Cruz said.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz2eKFof1ht

It does not appear that the administration has used as much in the way of diplomatic means as they could.

Cruz deserves some credit for suggesting some non-military alternatives. There has not been much of that from either the opponents or advocates of the military action.

Still wondering why if the Saudis and a few other Arab countries are so interested in having the US do something, why don't they do it themselves? It is, after all, their own sandbox. Over the years, we've supplied them with the military assets to do it themselves.

I agree, Bon, this has shifted attention away from the scandals (not to mention the latest IRS/DOJ scandal of "counselling" black church leaders on how they could campaign for Obama without getting smacked by either IRS or DOJ. And, then there is the looming debt ceiling and continuing resolution debates.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Ted Cruz proposes some alternatives to military action.

It does not appear that the administration has used as much in the way of diplomatic means as they could.

Cruz deserves some credit for suggesting some non-military alternatives. There has not been much of that from either the opponents or advocates of the military action.

Still wondering why if the Saudis and a few other Arab countries are so interested in having the US do something, why don't they do it themselves? It is, after all, their own sandbox. Over the years, we've supplied them with the military assets to do it themselves.

I agree, Bon, this has shifted attention away from the scandals (not to mention the latest IRS/DOJ scandal of "counselling" black church leaders on how they could campaign for Obama without getting smacked by either IRS or DOJ. And, then there is the looming debt ceiling and continuing resolution debates.
    the Saudis are like my old stockbroker,they play both sides and make money on the transaction whether the account holder makes money or not
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by bonmallari View Post
    the saudis are like my old stockbroker,they play both sides and make money on the transaction whether the account holder makes money or not
    bingo ! .............
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Heard today on the radio in the car that Putin has stepped forward to appear as the diplomat on the world stage. Assad will agree to turn over his chemical weapons to international control, and the deal is brokered by Russia.

I'd say the perception would be that if Assad is willing to turn over those weapons, he does not want to use them, and maybe he wasn't the one who has used them previously. Putin looks like a hero since he is offering up a diplomatic solution, while the US is talking hurling missiles.

One of the problems surely seems to be that the Russians have a structured ally to deal with, while dealing with the rebels is kind of like trying to nail jello to the wall, since there are so many different factions involved in that amorphous "group" all coming under the heading of "anti-Assad opposition".

Also have been thinking about the 100,000 casualties of this civil war. Is anyone clear if this is the # of non-combatant casualties? Is this the cumulative # of casualties of military and non-combatants? Is there no chance that the rebel groups have also caused civilian casualties? If so, is the 100,000 the cumulative # of casualties caused by both sides? (I'm thinking, for example, of the Syrian lady who spoke at one of the townhall meetings that mentioned her Christian cousin in Syria was killed by rebels.)
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

I feel so much better now ... today Kerry said that the Syrian operation will be "unbelievably small".
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Secretary of State John Kerry touched off the discussion with an off-hand remark that Syria could only avert military action if it turned over its weapons within a week.

Kerry and his aides afterward claimed the secretary was merely making a "rhetorical" point. But Russia's foreign minister formally proposed the idea to Syria, and the Assad government said it welcomed the plan.

As the United Nations secretary-general and several U.S. allies gravitated toward the proposal, the Obama administration conceded that it would seriously consider it.

Obama went further in his interview with Fox News.

"I welcome the possibility of the development," he said. "We should explore and exhaust all avenues of diplomatic resolution to this."
    He said the U.S. should be able to get a "fairly rapid sense" of how serious the proposal is. "We are going to be immediately talking to the Russians and looking for some actual language they might be proposing," he said.

But Obama said it's important to "keep the pressure on." Roughly quoting the late President Ronald Reagan, he said: "It's not enough just to trust. I think we're going to have to verify."

The president said the idea of negotiating this kind of solution is "something that is not new."
    Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2eRarPyjW

If this kind of solution is "something that is not new", why does it just start getting discussed now?

Why would the administration not have been negotiating this solution with Russia and Syria before threatening a military strike? If they had been, why wouldn't Obama have been touting this solution publicly, i.e. saying that he had offered such a diplomatic alternative to avert a military solution? By doing so, he would have been the "hero", rather than Putin.

I cannot speculate what some other POTUS might have done, but it's kind of scary that what may turn out to be the best solution (that allows both sides to save face) was "stumbled upon" by an offhand "rhetorical" remark.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com