The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Adequan

Luitpold is of no help at all unless they are talking to a vet. Anybody know who has adequan in stock for shipment. KV is now out again. I need the canine, can i use the equain in place of canine? Whats the difference? Thank you, Bud
    Bud Bass, aka akblackdawg

"Your life today is a result of your attitude and the decisions you made yesterday. Your life tomorrow will be the result of your attitude and the decisions you make today." unknown

Fosters and Smith appears to have it in stock.
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

Allivet has some, according to an email I got today.

Equine and canine are the same stuff, but equine may be 250 MG/ML instead of 100, so you would have to adjust the dosage.

The equine intramuscular is identical to the canine version. The equine intraarterial (sp?) version is the 250 mg/ml.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

The equine version has no preservative, the canine version does and is a multi use bottle. If you can be sterile each time you pull out of the Equine bottle....

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

I've used the big bottle of equine version for several years without a problem. I do, however, store it in the fridge, although Luitpold told me there is no partciular need to do so since it does have alcohol in there as a preservative.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Thank you all for your help. Yes, I was able to order some from Foster and Smith. My vet had to renew my perscription, but that was not a problem. However, he called me and we had a interesting discussion about Adequan.

When he first perscribed it for Scout, we started out with twice a week 2 ml injections for about a month. Then backed off to one injection every few weeks. Instructions call for use twice a week. My vet is telling me there is no evidance that adequan stays in the dogs system for more then just a few days. That for it to work, we need to inject much more often then what he told me when we first started out. Its difficult to figure for a layman like me, it has worked for our dog for a couple years now using it as a maintance supplement on a monthly basis. It has made a remarkable improvement to Scouts quality of life in his later years living with hip displaysia, but according to the "experts" it does no good and leaves the system after only a few days. He suggests we might just hold onto it and admister it on "bad days" when he is showing more then normal discomfort, but left it with us to decide and asked to be kept informed on how it is working. Just wanted to post these comments and see what the RTF "experts" that use adequan had to say. FYI, we also give him novox, cosaquin, vitimen e, and free form snip tips on a daily basis. Bud
    Bud Bass, aka akblackdawg

"Your life today is a result of your attitude and the decisions you made yesterday. Your life tomorrow will be the result of your attitude and the decisions you make today." unknown

I have had 2 different vets, one integrative and one rehabilitation, tell me that it stays in their system for about 4 days, and you need to inject it a minimum of once a week, and preferably twice.
    The way it was explained to me, that dose is for dogs with diagnosed problems like arthritis. For people who are using it prophylactically, you can use it much less often.

Barb Gibson
    with
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Sinner gets sub-q adequan injections every 3 weeks. I anticipate increasing the frequency. I do not want to wait for my dog to have a "bad day"...instead, I want to do my best to prevent them.
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

Quote Originally Posted by jeff t. View Post
    Sinner gets sub-q adequan injections every 3 weeks. I anticipate increasing the frequency. I do not want to wait for my dog to have a "bad day"...instead, I want to do my best to prevent them.
    Jeff I was doing every 3 weeks and changed to every 2 weeks a few months back and I'm really happy I did, big difference.
    Brandon Edmondson