The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: PETA drones a trophy prize for US hunters

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,131

    Default

    It seems to me that at one time planes were not allowed to fly within a certain distance of some fur farms ( mink maybe ). Maybe we need to check into the possiblilty that this might apply to drones then we need get a license to breed mink etc.
    charly

    There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

  2. #22
    Senior Member HPL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Coastal Bend of Texas
    Posts
    2,830

    Default

    Some of the proposed legislation would pretty well outlaw what Shark did. It would require that the drone always remain within line of sight, could not fly over a road, would have to have a flight plan filed, and would have to have the permission of any landowner over which the drone would fly or whose property could be seen in the images. If all that passes into law, that will kill what SHARK and PETA would like to do. I believe that the drone involved in the lawsuit mentioned in the video was shot down over private property and may still be in the possession of the landowner who is the target of the lawsuit (but I could be mistaken).
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

    Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

    Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

    www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Time to carry a few turkey loads into the dove field................ Heavy 13's regards.

    Mike

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wetumpka, AL
    Posts
    2,923

    Default

    I did a bit of research on drones and the FAR (Federal Aviation Regulations) and while doing this, saw another story.

    Apparently the FAA does require a permit for drone use. Then I started a general search. I couldn't find anything in FAA regulations but I didn't look too closely (time). However, I found a story in the Washington Times that will hopefully provide at least a status.

    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-sky-near-you/

    http://tinyurl.com/7ylouwp

    The story points out that the FAA is issuing permits and it sounds as though these are being issued on a temporary basis. Apparently, the FAA won't have final regs in place for a couple of years yet.

    I would bet from the Wash Times story, that this is going to be in court very quickly. Given the sorts of absolutely legal activities people do in
    their backyards, there will be a mountain of privacy issues that saying, "Oh we wouldn't watch what we weren't supposed to" won't wash. The use of drones will
    very much call into question a lot of legal issues. If an oil company is using a drone to surveill a pipeline for cracks and it views a murder, that would
    probably be OK. A police drone purposefully watching as a stakeout and seeing something else in the yard next door, maybe not so OK.

    It dawns on me that aerial fireworks would probably be more useful than a shotgun. Up they go and >boom<. They'll have a wider spread than a shotgun blast. However, now I'm wondering whether SHARK and Steve Hindi have a permit.

    Interesting subject.
    Eric

    WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    I did a bit of research on drones and the FAR (Federal Aviation Regulations) and while doing this, saw another story.

    Apparently the FAA does require a permit for drone use. Then I started a general search. I couldn't find anything in FAA regulations but I didn't look too closely (time). However, I found a story in the Washington Times that will hopefully provide at least a status.

    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-sky-near-you/

    http://tinyurl.com/7ylouwp

    The story points out that the FAA is issuing permits and it sounds as though these are being issued on a temporary basis. Apparently, the FAA won't have final regs in place for a couple of years yet.

    I would bet from the Wash Times story, that this is going to be in court very quickly. Given the sorts of absolutely legal activities people do in
    their backyards, there will be a mountain of privacy issues that saying, "Oh we wouldn't watch what we weren't supposed to" won't wash. The use of drones will
    very much call into question a lot of legal issues. If an oil company is using a drone to surveill a pipeline for cracks and it views a murder, that would
    probably be OK. A police drone purposefully watching as a stakeout and seeing something else in the yard next door, maybe not so OK.

    It dawns on me that aerial fireworks would probably be more useful than a shotgun. Up they go and >boom<. They'll have a wider spread than a shotgun blast. However, now I'm wondering whether SHARK and Steve Hindi have a permit.

    Interesting subject.
    Do I remember correctly.......is it against the law to point a laser at a plane ( drone ) ?
    charly

    There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

  6. #26
    Senior Member HPL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Coastal Bend of Texas
    Posts
    2,830

    Default

    Personally what would be illegal on the ground (voyeurism, window peeping) should be illegal from the air, but anything that could legally be photographed from a helicopter or airplane should probably also be legal from a drone. Can't imagine that it would at this time be illegal to aim a laser at a drone except a crashing drone could be a public hazard. Drones are in and of themselves a hazard and that's one reason for some of the proposed regulations concerning flying over roads or in proximity to people or buildings.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

    Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

    Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

    www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

  7. #27
    Senior Member shawninthesticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    north east mo
    Posts
    1,829

    Default

    Sorry HPL ,I dont think you or any other private party should be allowed access to these things. If you cant get in the helicopter ,you dont get the shot.


    One more invasion of privacy. crashing drone isnt a public hazard ...its the ones flying that are the public hazard.
    Shawn White

    HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

  8. #28
    Senior Member HPL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Coastal Bend of Texas
    Posts
    2,830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn White View Post
    Sorry HPL ,I dont think you or any other private party should be allowed access to these things. If you cant get in the helicopter ,you dont get the shot.


    One more invasion of privacy. crashing drone isnt a public hazard ...its the ones flying that are the public hazard.
    Point is I can get in the helicopter or airplane (have shot from both), just don't particularly like it. Also, there are laws against voyeurism. I'm pretty sure that if you parade around in the nude in front of your picture window and I shoot with my 600 from my lawn across the street, I'm not breaking any laws, but if you are sunbathing around your pool protected by a privacy fence and I climb a tree and get the shot, I may have a problem. Where I have a problem with some of the proposed regulations is that as I read them, I could rent a helicopter to photograph your house at your request and in the photo (because of the way angles and optics work) get photos of your neighbors' properties too and be perfectly OK, but if the very same photo was taken from a remotely piloted camera platform, it would be breaking the law. That is just more government intrusion where we don't need it. The real problem with drones is governmental abuse of the surveillance capabilities without just cause.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

    Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

    Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

    www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wetumpka, AL
    Posts
    2,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charly_t View Post
    Do I remember correctly.......is it against the law to point a laser at a plane ( drone ) ?
    In regards to aircraft, yes. As to drones, this is likely something that will require some real thought. The laser couoldn't hunt human eyes in a drone but could potentially mess up the sesors and thereby cause a hazard.

    I think a real issue is whether the permit process will allow a private entity to surveill for legal activities over lands which it has no otherwise reason to surveill, .... Steve Hindi and SHARK. In fact, I wonder if they had a permit for the video shown. To begin, I would expect that the "pilots" have to have some certification. Model airplane flyers do not but drone flyers....I would think so.

    Just found an FAA "Fact Sheet". The SHARK flight was probably not a permitted flight and the folks could face some hefty fines. (See: http://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/...m?newsId=14153) I say this because of the requirement that the drone be visible.
    Last edited by Eric Johnson; 06-06-2013 at 11:11 AM.
    Eric

    WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •