The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First they came for

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    Soylent green!!!!!!!!!
    Wrong movie - check out "Gattaca." Watch it while you think about what that DNA information will mean to health care (easiest way to control costs is to eliminate people with high likelihood of health problems before they're born) and being subject to random DNA checks as part of criminal investigations. That's the future calling....

Quote Originally Posted by ArtC View Post
    Wrong movie - check out "Gattaca." Watch it while you think about what that DNA information will mean to health care (easiest way to control costs is to eliminate people with high likelihood of health problems before they're born) and being subject to random DNA checks as part of criminal investigations. That's the future calling....
    I think what Paul means is that this is the "wave of the future". Some not so good things happening.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Badbullgator is right. The results of DNA testing can serve many purposes. I am most concerned about a DNA database for medical purposes... care (or denial of care) based upon famial predisposition.

I know only a little bit about DNA testing (Y, i.e. male) for genealogical purposes. I do know that when you test for only 12 markers, males can match 100% in those first 12 markers so relationships can't be relied upon in a 12-marker test. You have to test for more. My husband took the 67 marker test to determine matches with males who had the same common ancestor.

Brothers with the same father could have the same DNA results or they can be off a marker or 2 when taking the 67-marker test. If they have the same mother but different fathers, they are not going to match.

Quote Originally Posted by helencalif View Post
    I know only a little bit about DNA testing (Y, i.e. male) for genealogical purposes. I do know that when you test for only 12 markers, males can match 100% in those first 12 markers so relationships can't be relied upon in a 12-marker test. You have to test for more. My husband took the 67 marker test to determine matches with males who had the same common ancestor.

Brothers with the same father could have the same DNA results or they can be off a marker or 2 when taking the 67-marker test. If they have the same mother but different fathers, they are not going to match.
    Thanks, Helen. I know just enough to confuse me, vbg. My male line is very complicated in that my Father died before we started DNA testing for family research. He only had one brother ( who died about 1957 ). The brother's only son died a few years after that leaving 3 little boys. They are adults but one of them has already passed on and so far we do not have any DNA for either of the other two. The 23andMe website will not downlosd for me anymore ( I have 3 requests sitting waiting for me to compare notes with partial matches ). I've just turned all this stuff over to a niece who is well educated and understands it ! Can you imagine the problems if the government puts people in charge of the DNA work who do not understand it ( and will not admit it ). I see a lot of people doing the genealogy DNA who understand less than I do ! I know my limitations but some people don't know theirs.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~