The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's been a good run. We are done

Default It's been a good run. We are done

It's been a good run. Started out 10 years ago wanting a gun dog. Discovered hunt tests and achieved a Master Title at 3.5 years, and 8.5 all age points after that. Ok considering he saw only 12 marks on water one year. Under different circumstances Sundance would of been a field champion. Makes me sick thinking about it.
    This game is hard. But even harder if you don't have the time to train. I'm only able to train 4 months of the year on water, no place or people to train with after work, and drive 3 hours round trip to train. Then go to work. Now that I've I have reached a tipping point. Which is no longer gives my dog enough training to make it worthwhile. Trying to run field trials and train two days a week is pointless exercise.
    I'm not retired. Nor am I able to hire a pro. And for me it is pointless to do so. For I like the dogs and not so much the game. For others itís the reverse. Some like both. It just not much fun anymore. So Iím done. Take care.
    What its prominence suggest, and what all science confirms is that the dog is a creature of the nose- A. Horowitz.

I have had to make the same decision for similar reasons. Only I still dearly love the training! I may only get 2 or 3 days a week, i may only have 3 fields and 1 piece of water, (a big rectangular pond) but I love the time I do get to spend with my dogs. I love it when I see them get a concept or do something new very well. I love it when something I have studied and worked on comes together and works for my dogs. The only groups we get to work with are at trials or tests, so I don't think we will be competing much at all anymore. But I will keep on working with them as long as I am able. I do understand where you are coming from. Been very close to it myself for a while.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Just go hunting and enjoy the beauty of watching your dog do what it was bred for.
    During the off season work it when you can to keep fresh the training and keep it fit and trim.
    Enjoy the time spent, and the love it gives you, as the time together is short.
    It's not all about tests and titles.

If mine never makes it passed junior, that's fine, as he is a wonderful companion, and great duck dog.

I like Your approach to it all Mark!
    Good for You and Your dog!

So is this the official notice that you are no longer an amateur? I know a Pro has to do that but didn't realize that needed to be done when you no longer wanted to play the game. Learn something new everyday. If it helps, there are a ton of golden owners out there needing help getting their dogs in water, maybe you could still stay involved by helping them out once in awhile. If its not fun, don't do it.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Losthwy View Post
    It's been a good run. Started out 10 years ago wanting a gun dog. Discovered hunt tests and achieved a Master Title at 3.5 years, and 8.5 all age points after that. Ok considering he saw only 12 marks on water one year. Under different circumstances Sundance would of been a field champion. Makes me sick thinking about it.
    This game is hard. But even harder if you don't have the time to train. I'm only able to train 4 months of the year on water, no place or people to train with after work, and drive 3 hours round trip to train. Then go to work. Now that I've I have reached a tipping point. Which is no longer gives my dog enough training to make it worthwhile. Trying to run field trials and train two days a week is pointless exercise.
    I'm not retired. Nor am I able to hire a pro. And for me it is pointless to do so. For I like the dogs and not so much the game. For others it’s the reverse. Some like both. It just not much fun anymore. So I’m done. Take care.
    I feel your pain and sometimes question my sanity in sacrificing all other hobbies and sports to keep at it. Sometimes the little victories make it worth it, occasionally like a bolt out of the sky we get a blue ribbon, but mostly week after week we do well then fall heartbreakingly short. I still remember having an Open won, would have given my nine year old his title, he had picked up the hard bird in the last series clean, all he had to do was swim across the pond one more time, then up the hill to the easy bird, but I faltered on my send by stuttering his name, everybody heard it but me, he balked and I impulsively picked him up. The judge jumped all over my case next time we met as he considered it confusion and would have let me re-send. Ended up retiring a nice Golden with an Open win but no title.

This is a very hard, thankless sport for most of us, but as a lifelong optimist, I keep training and trialing knowing that this week could be my double header weekend. Good luck with whatever you do next.

John

Sorry to hear your frustration and disappointment. I too am very limited with how many days and where to train. I am on my first field trial lab. I fortunately see improvement every stake we run and time in training.Waiting to finish one. This is a very tough sport but I am still enjoying myself. Have to be positive otherwise it looks futile.
    I hope things look better for you later on.

Jeff
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

I understand, I agree. Many of us are in the same situation and have the same thoughts. It wouldn't take much to push many out of "the game."

I drive 3 hours one way to train on the weekend. It's a tough, tough game. Some leave and come back, some don't come back.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    So is this the official notice that you are no longer an amateur? I know a Pro has to do that but didn't realize that needed to be done when you no longer wanted to play the game. Learn something new everyday. If it helps, there are a ton of golden owners out there needing help getting their dogs in water, maybe you could still stay involved by helping them out once in awhile. If its not fun, don't do it.

/Paul
    Paul, if you ever change careers, you should consider applying to hallmark greeting cards.
    Very touching.
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

Quote Originally Posted by Losthwy View Post
    I like the dogs and not so much the game. For others itís the reverse. Some like both. It just not much fun anymore. So Iím done. Take care.
    There are dog people and there are FT people. They are not one in the same. You will always be a dog person. Time will tell if you ever choose to play the games again. Should we start an O/U?

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!