The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Walk-up in a senior hunt test

Default The Walk-up in a senior hunt test

In a Walk-up, is the gunner hidden, then pops out and throws? Is it usually a live bird?

Once you sit the dog, do you wait for the judge to release you for the retrieve?

About how far do you walk from the line before bird is thrown? 5 feet, 15', 20 yds ? I know it varies, but approximately on average?

Are walk-ups only on land or water, too?

Thanks,
    Jennifer

No no yes varies no
    any thing can hapen in a sr not normally a flier for the walk up
    The time you spend on earth with your dog is precious; enjoy it to your fullest

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    In a Walk-up, is the gunner hidden, then pops out and throws? Is it usually a live bird?
    Usually hidden behind bushes or in a brushed up blind. Doesn't pop out... bird just comes out.

Once you sit the dog, do you wait for the judge to release you for the retrieve?
    99% of the time, you will wait for the second bird and THEN the judge will release you.

About how far do you walk from the line before bird is thrown? 5 feet, 15', 20 yds ? I know it varies, but approximately on average?
    Will vary but average is probably between 10 & 20 yds from the holding blind.

Are walk-ups only on land or water, too?
    Never seen one on water but that doesn't mean they couldn't do it. Sounds like a logistical hassle.

Thanks,
    Jennifer[/QUOTE]
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ...​ at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

The gun station might be hidden, gunners out of sight. All the sudden a bird pops up. Do not expect a duck call etc. to draw the dog's attention.

So when you walk up, try and walk some how some way to hint to your dog to look out in the direction of the walk up bird.
    Renee P

Thanks.
    JS, I was thinking the walk-up was a test all in itself, but it sounds like you are saying it is simply just one of the birds in a double?

Good notes Renee! Thanks - I can see that being the big part of the challenge if there's another obvious gunner out there for her to stare at.

I saw a water walk-up in Mondovi, WI last summer during a senior test. The birds landed on land across a body of water, it was a nice set up. Although we did well on the double, we failed due to the blind. That is where I learned what "challenging the blind" meant. I learned a lot about handling during that blind and respect the judges for it.
    Jeff Brezee

HR MHR Brezee Oak's Brother Bear MH "Bear"
    HR Brezee Oak's Keep to the Code SH "Jasmine"

Thanks.
    JS, I was thinking the walk-up was a test all in itself, but it sounds like you are saying it is simply just one of the birds in a double?
    It can be both. Often it is the first bird down, but that makes for a fairly lame memory bird, it being so close and all, so sometimes judges do it separately.

Just keep walking in the direction of the walkup until it is thrown. Then you can give your dog a sit or blow a whistle. it will be very, very obvious when it comes out in your dog's face, so don't worry about not seeing it.

Section 18. Walk Ups. In Senior and Master hunting
    tests, a walk up is used to test a dog’s steadiness. The
    birds represent a surprise situation therefore gunning
    stations must be well concealed, utilizing natural cover
    when possible so that only the bird may be seen when launched. Birds shall be presented at a distance ranging
    from 35 to 45 yards of the dog with no attention getting
    devices utilized.
    As the first bird is thrown in a walk up situation, the
    handler may give either a verbal or whistle command to
    steady the dog once the bird is in the air. Judges shall
    tell handlers in advance of the start of judging when it is
    appropriate to give the steadying commend or whistle.
    There shall be no walk up test situations in Junior
    level tests.

Section 6. Senior Hunting Test. Dogs shall be
    tested in a minimum of four hunting situations that shall include one land blind, one water blind (that may be run as a double blind on land and water), one double land mark,
    and one double water mark. There shall be at least one
    diversion shot and at least one of the hunting situations should include a walk-up. In Senior tests, a double mark is
    defined as two marks presented before the dog is sent to retrieve. Blinds shall not be run between marks in Senior
    Hunting Tests.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Thanks.
    If you're talking about AKC Senior, then the marking series are doubles. The walk-up will typically be on the land series. Per the rulebook, there is not to be an attention getting sound on the walk-up and the distance is 35-45 yds (distance from dog to where bird is launched from).

Although not common, I suppose a walk-up could be done as a single (just not typically done that way). It is normally part of one of the doubles. Walk-up on land, honor on water is likley the most common.
    "Speed of the captain, speed of the ship."

Travis Lund
    Stony Brook Kennels
    www.stonybrookkennels.net
    Foley, MN