The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Walk-up in a senior hunt test

I hope it's not scary /Paul, but it does seem scary at the moment, especially knowing you will be there watching!

And Blake, I'm a little crazy and am trying to do both derbies and senior at the same time... we'll see how it goes.

I remember doing akc walkups with Hudson. One time it was on the water double. The one that scared me the most was honoring on the land walkup. You had to walk with the honoring dog at heel about 3-4 steps behind the working dog and slightly off to the side. One of the birds was a flyer. I had never seen that before. I was saying softly "heel, no bird, heel, no bird......" But we got through it and passed.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

I ran an AKC Senior test recently with a tandem walk-up for the honor too- honor dog walked right beside (about 8 ft apart) the working dog on one of the longest walk-up I've seen, 25-30 yards before they fired off the bird. Also have run tests with walk-up on water, walk-up was a flier and even a walk-out run after the double was picked up as you walked away from the line.

Quote Originally Posted by laurelwood View Post
    I ran an AKC Senior test recently with a tandem walk-up for the honor too- honor dog walked right beside (about 8 ft apart) the working dog on one of the longest walk-up I've seen, 25-30 yards before they fired off the bird. Also have run tests with walk-up on water, walk-up was a flier and even a walk-out run after the double was picked up as you walked away from the line.

Holy cow...

Quote Originally Posted by tbro View Post
    Not required but very,very common.
    I just now figured out your avatar is a person sitting against a round bale. All this time I thought it was the nose of an ant eater!!! And I would say "why does that guy have an ant eater for an avatar?"
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Good camo if it makes Bora think it's an anteater instead of a person in camo.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Good camo if it makes Bora think it's an anteater instead of a person in camo.
    Actually, I thought it was an Anteater too. (Or maybe a long nosed Walrus.)

I know. Weird.

I thought it was a hippo head coming out of muddy water.
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

My 1st SH Test was a couple w/ends ago and the walk-up was on water. All of the dogs did well on this.

Expect a walk up anywhere, land, water, or both. I think my first walk ups I did not properly teach my dog to follow the gun (or heal properly), and she would fix on the gun station and not the direction of the hidden gun station mark. If you are too out of place you could miss the walk up mark (or at least we did once). Lots of practice with a very white visible gun station (go bird) with a hidden gun as the walk up, she learned that the visible gun station was not necessarily the first bird down. Anyway, everything goes better with practice.