The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: SoCal Training Groups

Default SoCal Training Groups

Potentially relocating to SoCal. I am just wondering what the training group, testing and trialing scene looks like. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Brian

SoCal is a very big area. You need to be more specific. Also HT or FT?
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice ***
    I Ain't No Tin Lizzy

Quote Originally Posted by labsforme View Post
    SoCal is a very big area. You need to be more specific. Also HT or FT?
    Work would be in Compton Both HT/FT.

Here are some of our area clubs to help get you started:
    http://inlandvalleyretrieverclub.com/
    http://www.pradobasinhrc.com/
    and this local lab club holds monthly training days as well.... many are members of all 3.
    http://lrcsocal.org/wp/?page_id=22 (this club has members active in all different competition venues, and holds 2 annual hunt tests)
    Fun group of folks, and most of us train at Prado (see below) because there is definitely an absence of land and water (besides ocean) where dogs are allowed around here. :/

Here is the link to Prado: http://prado-recreation.com/
    Most of our area retrieving events are also held here, as well.
    -Julie, Monty (2005 YLM), Rogue (2009 BLM), and Eddy (2013 BLM)

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Anon

LIFE IS GOOD. "Do what you like, like what you do."

BTW, I don't do field trials and am still a relative newbie (just an 8 yr old JH dog who I've been doing agility classes with lately, a 16 wk old pup, and a 4 yr old who is up north right now training in the Pacific NW with a dear friend), but I live in San Pedro and am not terribly far away and am more than happy to learn if you're interested in training groups/carpooling/etc. I have some wingers with remotes, BB doubles, and various other equipment up for use.

Apparently, Compton has a lot of horse property... I hear they are really improving the area from the "Compton" of decades past.
    -Julie, Monty (2005 YLM), Rogue (2009 BLM), and Eddy (2013 BLM)

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Anon

LIFE IS GOOD. "Do what you like, like what you do."

Heh, I work in the Compton area from time to time but spend most of my time in East LA for work. Not as bad as it once was for sure.

I live in Ontario, about a 15 minute drive from Prado. My dog was hurt for a while so I haven't trained the last 3 or 4 months but he's back to 100% and we're ready to get training again. MH/Qual level.

Let me know if you come out, or anyone else that would like to train on the weekends.
    Rick Curtis ~ Currently in Ontario, CA by way of Spokane, WA and Northern CA.

Little Man Caught It On The River SH ~ "Ace"

Handlers Handle, Dogs Dog, Judges Judge

"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    ~Rex Carr

The Inland Valley Retriever Club has regularly scheduled meetings/training days the first Saturday of each month at Prado. The next would be Saturday, August 3rd. It gets pretty hot so it might be lightly attended but you are more than welcome. There is plenty of water so we can always find things for the dogs to do and still keep cool.

We run AKC and NAHRA Hunt Tests. Our next scheduled test is NAHRA in November.

Prado Basin HRC does HRC events (duh). We have an upland test scheduled for the Fall.

I belong to both clubs and run all the tests I can. My pup and I love the game.

Hope you will join us. Look forward to meeting you.

For Fielt trial there is San Diego Retriever Club, NorCal Retriever Club and SoCal Retriever club. Actually FT are at Lost hill CA and Niland,CA where there are privately owned training grounds. I am in AZ but go to train in Niland. Trials start in OCt.
    Field trialer. I have an FC Golden Retriever and running trials Casey and a retired FT black lab Lightning.
    Marie Annette Doherty

SoCal Field Trials:

Southern Calif RC & Calif South Coast RC hold Spring & Fall trials at Lost Hills.

San Diego Retriever & FT Club, Phoenix RC & Southern Ariz RC hold trials at Niland.

There are usually 9-10 trials per year in Southern Calif.

Thanks for all the replies, folks. I was concerned that choosing to live in or around LA would reduce my choices. Sounds like great groups of great people.