The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Dave Rorem handling seminar was awesome!

  1. #1
    Senior Member mitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    2,368

    Default Dave Rorem handling seminar was awesome!

    If you ever have a chance, GO! Mr. Rorem is a great teacher, and he was incredibly patient with dog-handlers at all levels at the seminar here in Salt Lake City.

    I feared being decimated by his critiques! But he was very gentle, I guess he sort of performs triage on handlers like me! He is also very funny! He really seems to enjoy teaching. His opening remarks stated that we would leave with "no question left unanswered," and he meant it.

    Thanks Purina, Tritronics, Avery and Move the dog for sponsoring the event. Also thanks to the local clubs (Weber River Retriever Club, Wasatch Hunting Retriever Club, Great Salt Lake Retriever Club and Northern Utah Retriever Club) for bringing Dave Rorem to Salt Lake City.

    Last but not least, thank you Mr. Rorem for coming to Salt Lake!
    Renee P

  2. #2
    Senior Member Jennifer Henion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Far Northern California
    Posts
    1,297

    Default

    I was wondering if you were going to go to that! Just bought and watched his videos two weeks ago. That made me look up his seminar schedule and saw Salt Lake.

    With his videos being so helpful, I'll bet his seminars are awesome. Can't believe he is not mentioned more often on RTF. Such valuable information for hunt test and field trial people newbs.

    Any gold nuggets to share from the seminar?

    Jen

  3. #3
    Senior Member mitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    2,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    I was wondering if you were going to go to that! Just bought and watched his videos two weeks ago. That made me look up his seminar schedule and saw Salt Lake.

    With his videos being so helpful, I'll bet his seminars are awesome. Can't believe he is not mentioned more often on RTF. Such valuable information for hunt test and field trial people newbs.

    Any gold nuggets to share from the seminar?

    Jen
    Too many gold nuggets to mention---I have many pages of notes.

    The most critical info, for me, was a drill we did on how to tell where your dog is looking and eye dominance. I have struggled wondering if my dog has picked out the gunners, and sometimes she takes crazy lines on blinds, I think this little drill will help me a lot! Also info on using cues like "mark" etc. and how to position yourself to get a good cast from the dog.

    For more advanced handlers there was lots of discussion about stuff that dogs do that give you a clue about what they are going to do next...I didn't absorb all of that.

    The seminar was very hands-on, it was all about what the dogs and handlers there were doing.
    Renee P

  4. #4
    Senior Member Jennifer Henion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Far Northern California
    Posts
    1,297

    Default

    You lucky duck.

    Care to elaborate on the "looking" drill?

  5. #5
    Senior Member Eric Fryer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    720

    Default

    What a great time we all had! Dave is a great guy, excellent coach, and knows dogs! Thanks for coming to Utah, we are all better for it. Definately not the last Rorem seminar I will attend.... BELEIVE BLUE!!
    God, Family, Country & LSU Football.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Howard N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    7,687

    Default

    drill we did on how to tell where your dog is looking and eye dominance.
    Ahem...... Ya can't leave us dangling like that. Spill.
    Howard Niemi

    You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

    get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

  7. #7
    Senior Member mitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    2,368

    Default



    Renee P

  8. #8
    Senior Member mitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    2,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    You lucky duck.

    Care to elaborate on the "looking" drill?
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    [COLOR=#333333]

    Ahem...... Ya can't leave us dangling like that. Spill.
    It was very simple. You need 3 or 4 helpers. Three "gunners" stand at 1st base, center field/second base, and 3rd base. I think center was about 175 yards away. You point out each gunner to dog, and when you think dog is locked on a particular gunner, you signal the 4th helper (if you have one) who then signals the gunner to wave his arms. If dog moves his head you know you goofed. If dog stays locked you know you had him looking in the place you thought.

    We did this one time with good separation between 1st and 3rd. Then the guns moved closer to each other (like when you have tight guns in a setup), rinse repeat.

    Ideally the 4th helper is someone like Dave Rorem who can help you tell if dog moved its head and help you figure out why you goofed!

    This drill was followed up with some setups where you got to use the new skill.

    I learned that my dog likes to lead with her right eye and therefore barely moves her head if the guns are tight on the right. On the left, it is more clear what she is looking at.

    Oh and watch they eyebrows for clues about where they are looking!
    Renee P

  9. #9
    Senior Member Jennifer Henion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Far Northern California
    Posts
    1,297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    It was very simple. You need 3 or 4 helpers. Three "gunners" stand at 1st base, center field/second base, and 3rd base. I think center was about 175 yards away. You point out each gunner to dog, and when you think dog is locked on a particular gunner, you signal the 4th helper (if you have one) who then signals the gunner to wave his arms. If dog moves his head you know you goofed. If dog stays locked you know you had him looking in the place you thought.

    We did this one time with good separation between 1st and 3rd. Then the guns moved closer to each other (like when you have tight guns in a setup), rinse repeat.

    Ideally the 4th helper is someone like Dave Rorem who can help you tell if dog moved its head and help you figure out why you goofed!

    This drill was followed up with some setups where you got to use the new skill.

    I learned that my dog likes to lead with her right eye and therefore barely moves her head if the guns are tight on the right. On the left, it is more clear what she is looking at.

    Oh and watch they eyebrows for clues about where they are looking!
    That's interesting. Kind of like patterning and sighting your shotgun.

  10. #10
    Senior Member tshuntin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Ogden, Utah
    Posts
    1,098

    Default

    It was such an incredible experience. If you ever have the chance to attend - DO IT! You will learn a ton and you and your dog will become a lot better by doing so. Dave is just a super cool guy. He made everyone feel welcome. Always took as much time as people needed to answer questions. Never rushed through any answer or situation. This is something I will not soon forget. I walked away very motivated and aware of things I can do to improve. I love learning and trying to improve and looking back, I truly feel I learned from one of the best. Thanks Dave, the sponsors and all those that made this happen!
    TRAVIS SKEEN

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •