The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Dry skin

Default Dry skin

My 14 month YLF sheds a good amount, but recently noticed considerable dry skin flakes (dandruff) when brushing her. Currently feeding Nutro natural choice large breed puppy. Considered a change to the Sensitive Skin & Stomach, but the only difference is the protein & carbs...same amount of linoleic acid. The 106 temp today doesnt help or the humidity routinely below 10%.
    Anyone have similar issues with their dog? Using a shampoo that helps or have other suggestions?
    thanks
    Matt
    Matthew Ries, Pharm.D.

Poole's Matador's Maggie May (04/14/2012 - Present)
    Lacakota Super Magnum (02/20/2002 - 07/2010)

Shampoos generally make the problem worse. An excellent non-shampoo cleanser is Virbac Epi-Soothe. Years ago I fed Nutro but with their China connection and the several recalls, I made a change to Purina Performance 30/20 about 4-5 yrs ago. I think there are better feeds than Purina PP but availability is critical when I travel across the country to run trials (& cost too). You might try to add more oil to the feed. I have found that adding 2 tbs of olive oil helps the coat. But 10% humidity will be a tough challenge. Make sure there isn't an allergy component (not food as much as contact) to your issues too.
    David Didier, GA

My 15 week old puppy had dry skin when I first had him. I have been slowly changing his food to the Nutro Natural choice. I mix it 50% with Native Level 3 puppy, which I got from the breeder. I like the native but can't find it within a reasonable drive, so we're switching to the Nutro. I also started adding fish oil to his meal at dinner time at 12 weeks of age. I started small, 3 drops and have worked up to 1\2 a capsule. His coat looks amazing and no more dry skin!

Sorry I thought your dog was 14 weeks not 14 months. I'd still start with the fish oil, but maybe a larger dose than 3 drops.

Yeller dog=massive shedding. Don't know why but every yellow Lab I've been around sheds way worse than a black dog.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth