The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cotton Mouth

Default Cotton Mouth

How many of you deal with these during summer months? Water work has become "let's go shoot the moccasins for an hour and, when we don't see any more, we'll train." I am using two ponds close to one another, I've shot nearly 15 in 3 weeks. Killed these two tonight.

Second, how many have had one of these bite your dog? I see all the rattle snake posts... What ab these suckers?

image.jpg
    -Barton Ramsey

Hate em. Damn I hate em. I don't see many training but there are a lot were we hunt gators. I use to see a bunch, but less and lees in the last ten years. Knock on wood. As far as dogs getting bit I know three people who have. One was in TX, one in FL, and one in LA. All three ended up fine but had major swelling and I mean nasty swelling. One had a pretty nasty infection from it as well. If I recall he had an indentation in his shoulder after he healed where bacteria had eaten and the vet had removed tissue. None died and all went on to hunt again. One of the people post here owned one of the dogs, maybe they will chime in.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Had one get bit in the face. Looked like a Pug for 3 days. Nasty mouths and meds for infection needed.
    Tom Dorroh

Had one on my heels in early May, but he did not strike my snake proof boots. He was smart because we would have lite him up. all of these snakes scare the retard out of me regarding my dogs. Heat and snakes are a dogs two worst enemies. Then again i know a fella that inadvertently closed his lab in the car only to find him dead later on when he went looking for his missing dog. Mother nature can put a hurting on your dog, but man's complacence can do the same. Always think about your dog from car to house, etc.

Had one crawl up on the back of the boat the other nite fishing. Thot the daughter was going to freak out.

Been dealing with them since early April, believe I have killed 9 to date at the multitude of ponds I have to use. They are fish ponds with smaller fish so it's a great place to find them. Needless to say haven't been back to the ponds since I started killing them.
    Rankin' Retrievers

My husband's GSP was bitten on the top of the front paw when he was five. It was horrible. Scotty had him at the vet's in less than an hour (we are 45 miles away) and they started treatment immediately but the swelling and necrosis was unbelievable. You could see the bones and tendons and all in his paw.
    I think he was at the vet's for maybe nine days?
    Thankfully he did recover but I hope none of our dogs have to go through that again.
    No one can have the part of me I give to my dogs.
    Guy de la Valdene
    For a Handful of Feathers

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    Had one get bit in the face. Looked like a Pug for 3 days. Nasty mouths and meds for infection needed.
    Humm, forgot about that one. I guess I know four people.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Mills View Post
    My husband's GSP was bitten on the top of the front paw when he was five. It was horrible. Scotty had him at the vet's in less than an hour (we are 45 miles away) and they started treatment immediately but the swelling and necrosis was unbelievable. You could see the bones and tendons and all in his paw.
    I think he was at the vet's for maybe nine days?
    Thankfully he did recover but I hope none of our dogs have to go through that again.

Ok,,five people I know.....dang maybe more common than I thought.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    Ok,,five people I know.....dang maybe more common than I thought.
    I've had two bitten by copperheads so 6 and 7 and since a lot of people say I'm an old dawg and been bit make it 8. Not Moccasins but hey copperheads hurt too.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon