The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cotton Mouth

A couple years ago, a friend of mine had her dog down south for training with a pro. The dog jumped in a pond right on top of a water moccasin which bit her hind leg. Saw a vet immediately down south and brought her back home to heal. The damage was so severe, tho, her leg at hip had to be amputated. Wasn't sure if she'd ever want to get into the water again ... but she did and just achieved her MH title.
    Becky
    Life is Good . . . Do what you like - Like what you do.

Hey man, I am from right up the road in Nettleton. They're everywhere. Living in Vicksburg now but go to Nettleton every other weekend and there are tons of them in Vicksburg and Nettleton. I have shot about 10 since mid May. I shoot every snake I see, don't care if its a king snake...the only good snake is a dead one. And Mississippi heat makes them mad. They go after everything.

buddy's dog went into the water to make a retrieve and came out with a cottonmouth wrapped around its flank. at first the dog didnt notice it and was on his way back up land to deliver then it freaked out 10 yards from the bank we assume the snake hadnt bit till just then. rushed to the vet and stayed there a few days with meds to fight infection.

At my new place in Boston, Ga. I have a pond. We cleaned up all around the pond
    with a bobcat and bushog. before the clean up we shot 4 snakes, now they are out
    sunning on the banks, my neighbor has killed more than a dozen in the last month on his evening walk.
    I think they breed like rabbits, chooot'em all.
    Gregg Leonard

Tremblin Earth's Touch of Choclate "Reese" QAA FC/AFC Land Ahoy "Pirate" X Baypoints Dream Maker QAA
    Red Squad's Blue on Black "Jesse" MH QAA NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Dance Hall Gal
    Red Squad's Fifty Caliber "Sniper" QAA NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Maple Creeks Mattie Mae
    Red Squad's Bad Girlfriend "Tinker"FC/AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger X Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA
    Red Squad's Element Of Surprise "Chica" ​NFC-AFC Maxx's Surprise X Red Squad's Blue On Black MH

2012_03_03_0946.jpgFriendly neighborhood that Demopolis is
    SEMPER FI . FROM MY COLD , DEAD HANDS .

www.bashakilllabradors.com

I'd not bet anything I cared for that any of the dead snakes pictured in this thread are cottonmouths.
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2014-2015 season log)

I had to deal with cotton mouth in the early 70's. Once it hits you all you can do is sip some water till it passes. Damm I hate cotton mouth with a passion.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

I see what looks to me like perhaps a few Banded Water snakes now that you mention it.
    Dawgs are like Savings Accounts-
    You only get out of 'em what you put into 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelder View Post
    2012_03_03_0946.jpgFriendly neighborhood that Demopolis is
    Glad someone actually posted a photo of a cotton mouth. Lots of water snakes seen but not near as many are actually cotton mouths. Cotton mouths are very territorial and will be aggressive within their territory (more so than most any other snake IMO). Had one of my Labs bit on the head just above the ear a number of years ago during a warm start to duck season in west TN. Head was swollen bad within a couple of hours as we transported the dog to the vet. Treated there for 3 days (I thought her left eye was going to pop out with so much swelling), then her head pretty quickly returned to normal with no residual issues or evidence of having been bit.
    David Didier, GA

Quote Originally Posted by yellow machine View Post
    I had to deal with cotton mouth in the early 70's. Once it hits you all you can do is sip some water till it passes. Damm I hate cotton mouth with a passion.
    Or the dreaded cold beer helps.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon