The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cotton Mouth

somewhere between Boca Grande and Nova Scotia

Look at the bright side, a snake bite is a lot better than a gator bite.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Bartona500 View Post
    How many of you deal with these during summer months? Water work has become "let's go shoot the moccasins for an hour and, when we don't see any more, we'll train." I am using two ponds close to one another, I've shot nearly 15 in 3 weeks. Killed these two tonight.

Second, how many have had one of these bite your dog? I see all the rattle snake posts... What ab these suckers?

Attachment 13479
    Im right down the road in Amory and i have already had two run-in's with Snakes this year. One struck at my pup and missed "thank god". The other snake was in the water with my pup
    SHR Goodwins Hat Creek Hound "Gus"

A majority of what folks think are cottonmouths are not. Probably the most mis-identified snake around here. People assume that if it's near water then that's what it must be. I've only had two small ones around here lately. Had one of my dogs get bit about 3 years ago, 3 strikes on her throat and one on the nose. She has a big scar on her throat and survived just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad B View Post
    A majority of what folks think are cottonmouths are not. Probably the most mis-identified snake around here.
    I stick to my simple taxonomy of snakes:
    If it rattles, it is a rattlesnake;
    If it is in the water, it is a water moccasin;
    If it is on land, it is a copperhead.

We were training this spring and heard a noise in the tree above the line and saw a snake crawling around. It didn't fit easily into the taxonomy, so since I was born in Okinawa, we just assumed it was a Habu preparing to drop down and kill us

Believe me I am not a snake fan, but "shoot 'em all" is not exactly an appropriate response. Brown water snakes catch hell because they resemble moccasins. Lots of good snakes out there folks that eat rats and mice and all sorts or other undesirables. I try to identify snakes before I dispatch them and if they are in an area away from my house or dogs I leave them alone. An anvil shaped head is a pretty good indicator of venomous snakes. Came through my living room last week and saw something slip behind the bookcase... a yellow rat snake, came in through the dog door on the screen porch and then into the living room. Now, snakes in the house...that really creeps me out, but once I saw what kind it was I removed it and took it well away and let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    I stick to my simple taxonomy of snakes:
    If it rattles, it is a rattlesnake;
    If it is in the water, it is a water moccasin;
    If it is on land, it is a copperhead.

We were training this spring and heard a noise in the tree above the line and saw a snake crawling around. It didn't fit easily into the taxonomy, so since I was born in Okinawa, we just assumed it was a Habu preparing to drop down and kill us
    I like your taxonomy of snakes.......
    I try to stick to this; every snake is the ever elusive RattlinCopperMocasinViperCobra, and the only way to verify if they are poisonous is to shoot them in the face till gun is out of ammo. Then reload and repeat till all available ammo has been consumed.

Iowa has few poisonous snakes, no gators, no africanized bees. This thread makes me glad for winter.

Quote Originally Posted by awclark View Post
    Believe me I am not a snake fan, but "shoot 'em all" is not exactly an appropriate response.
    I don't shoot 'em all. Sometimes I have encountered one of these killers without a shooting thingy (Popper loads do work well at close range though) or other means to defend myself. In those cases, I strip down to my chinchilla thong and run the other way, screaming like a little girl.

Came through my living room last week and saw something slip behind the bookcase... a yellow rat snake, came in through the dog door on the screen porch and then into the living room. Now, snakes in the house...that really creeps me out, but once I saw what kind it was I removed it and took it well away and let it go.[/QUOTE]

I would have been trying to explain to the insurance company how my whole house mysteriously burnt to the ground. “no sir it has nothing to do with this empty gas can and this box of matches”

I have never encountered a cotton mouth in this area. Knock on wood. Copperheads and rattlers but not while training. Some have told me that there are not any cotton mouths west of the Trinity River. I don't know whether to believe this or not.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired