The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Cotton Mouth

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    I've learned from this thread. I'm afraid I killed quite a few that I thought were moccasins but were harmless. My guilt overwhelms me.
    Now ya got me feeling guilty to.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

I need a group hug.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

If you really want to feel guilty, just think of the snakes still alive. They CAN'T hug.
    -Barton Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Bartona500 View Post
    If you really want to feel guilty, just think of the snakes still alive. They CAN'T hug.
    Annacondas can.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Quote Originally Posted by rboudet View Post
    I dont believe this is a WM. or the one on the left in the first picture. Looks more like a banded water snake. Also, in most states it is against law to just kill snakes unless you are in danger.
    I would think if you saw one of those snakes listed you are in danger. I am north of the border training. None of those here to my knowledge.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

[QUOTE=Rick Hall;1112410]Fwiw, this is a water snake, perhaps trying to pose as a "triangle shaped" headed venomous snake:

And these are some little cottonmouths showing their signature flattop, like the old hair cuts with straight sides and flat top meeting at acute angles:

(Another "signature" that one displays is that they frequently, though not always, swim or float with much of their bodies out of the water.)

(Those last two wee ones also show the yellow tail tips they sport as babies.)[/QUOTe

OMG !!! I am not afraid of snakes but do you get these alot??? How can you safely train the dog?? Making me think twice about the south. Are they out in the winter when it is cooler???
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

[QUOTE=Laird's Retrievers;1112606]Originally Posted by John Kelder
    Attachment 13482Friendly neighborhood that Demopolis is
    I dont believe this is a WM. or the one on the left in the first picture. Looks more like a banded water snake. Also, in most states it is against law to just kill snakes unless you are in danger.

The picture of snake listed in master c is not a cottonmouth. It is a nonvenomous water snake.

I'm sure the woman who was surprised in the holding blind will be glad to hear that It was left at Master C for that YANKEE judge to check his grit !! who promptly hung it out of the trunk of his rental car like the EXXON tiger tail . And after that , I was told I could come back anytime I left it like I found it , DEAD.....regards.....
    SEMPER FI . FROM MY COLD , DEAD HANDS .

www.bashakilllabradors.com

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Kelly, you needed to get out more while at NT...I lived in Lake Dallas, just down the road and I could show you where we had cottonmouth's both in Denton and on the north edge of the lake off Shady Shores road near Corinth...as for Central TX , we had quite a few on Decker Lake aka Walter Long Lake especially near the power plant, used to fish there as a kid when my oldest brother would sneak me in while doing his chemist stuff for the city, also shot them at the lease near Creedmoor...where there is water in TX, there is always a chance of stump tails
    I got out. Lived in Lewisville when I was in high school. (Does any high school have a dorkier looking mascot than the Lewisville Farmer?) Used to swim in Lewisville Lake before it was all built up. As a grad student, I did the vegetation surveys of the Lake Aubrey area before the dam was closed and the land was flooded. I didn't say cottonmouths didn't occur there, just that they aren't too common.

Sometimes, a fellow grad student or two would come along when I did my vegetation transects. Invariably, they'd ask beforehand if I ever saw snakes. Virtually never, I'd say, which was true. And danged if we didn't see snakes practically everytime someone came with me. Maybe I should have explained that I don't see worth a darn.

Interesting that cottonmouths make it to San Angelo. That's pretty far west and must be close to the western limit of their range.
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

Quote Originally Posted by PalouseDogs View Post
    I got out. Lived in Lewisville when I was in high school. (Does any high school have a dorkier looking mascot than the Lewisville Farmer?) Used to swim in Lewisville Lake before it was all built up. As a grad student, I did the vegetation surveys of the Lake Aubrey area before the dam was closed and the land was flooded. I didn't say cottonmouths didn't occur there, just that they aren't too common.

Sometimes, a fellow grad student or two would come along when I did my vegetation transects. Invariably, they'd ask beforehand if I ever saw snakes. Virtually never, I'd say, which was true. And danged if we didn't see snakes practically everytime someone came with me. Maybe I should have explained that I don't see worth a darn.

Interesting that cottonmouths make it to San Angelo. That's pretty far west and must be close to the western limit of their range.

You were correct, there werent many, but one year when the water came way up to the bottom of the IH35 bridge,it flooded within a mile of the house, it was great for duck hunting because we shot a ton of birds in areas that were usually high and dry, but we had snakes for about a year afterwards...I also hear there is an occasional sighting of a gator in the lake...Wont comment on the Lewisville Fighting Farmers, but I do miss the Grandy's Fried Chicken
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Stroyan View Post
    Iowa has few poisonous snakes, no gators, no africanized bees. This thread makes me glad for winter.
    I'm with you Keith! Think I will take ice, snow and black flies any day!!
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc