RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Lab Puppy Questions

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Riceman72 
#1 ·
My lab pup is now 8 weeks old and I have a few questions with this being my first time to train. When I first got him I would do fun retrieves in the hallway an he would bring whatever I threw back I would pet and praise him an stop after 3 or 4 retrieves. Now he will still run out to the object and lay down and chew and only come back every so often when I call him and clap my hands. Do I just stop the session when he doesn't want to come back and try again in a couple of days? I don't want to create future bad habits and have switched to different objects and have watched sound beginnings several times for any tips. I know he is still young but any tips would be appreciated

#2 ·
I'm a rookie and only a few weeks ahead of you because my pup is 14 weeks but I'd recommend the following....

First, do some treat training to here. Stay low to the ground and give him a bunch of praise when he comes to you.

Then put him on a check cord when retrieving and give light tugs while giving A LOT of encouragement right when he gets to the bumper. Use the same commands and excitement you did in treat training. Stay low or crouched to encourage him back. Eventually he'll realize he gets a lot if praise and another retrieve for coming back.

Also dont do more than 3 or 4 retrieves per session. Hope that helps, it did for me!

#3 ·
Still very young. Don't push it. Wait a couple of weeks until he knows his name at 10 weeks or so. Don't do retrieving every day. Try about every third day.
Suggest you get Bill Hillmans Training a Retriever Puppy. He starts his at about 11-12 weeks as I recall. He emphasizes the most important thing, at first, is just to get them to chase after the dummy. At first bringing it back is not so important.

Hope this helps.

#5 ·
Right now, he's getting wise on you! You'll eventually some some of this recall problem when you teach "here" and eventually when you force fetch, but right now what he's doing is perfectly normal.

I wouldn't avoid the retrieves. If the pup likes to chase the bumper, throw the bumper. As soon as he gets it in his mouth though, start running away from him while calling his name and making a big deal. He'll eventually come after you, and when he does, show him your approval. DON'T chase a puppy who has something in his mouth. I can speak from experience when I say that this is a REALLY bad idea. If he won't come near you with the bumper, distract him so that he turns it loose, and then don't give him anymore retrieves. The retrieve is the reward. If you use the retrieve as a reward, you'll never have to resort to treats.

#6 ·
A friend told me that it was a sign I would have trouble teaching "here" also...I ordered the Hillman DVD lastnight so maybe that will help...I'm going to try running away and calling him tomorrow when we retrieve ill let you know if I have any luck. Thanks for the tips

#7 ·
A friend told me that it was a sign I would have trouble teaching "here" also...
Why would that be the case? Believe me, what your pup is doing is totally normal. I really wouldn't sweat it.

#9 ·
At this age if you're using the hallway for a fun little chase the bumper, get up and walk away when he doesn't return. He'll run after you wondering where you went. Call it quits when he reaches you. He'll learn the game ends when he stops and lies down. IMO I would focus on teaching him his name and other OB commands, using 5-10 minute training intervals. Tossing the bumper only once in awhile for fun in between OB sessions to keep his chase drive high until he's ready for more formalized retrieval work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.