The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: All-Age Judging Question

Default All-Age Judging Question

The trial is complete. The judges have narrowed their decision for picking a winner to two dogs. Both dogs have run a wonderful trial and both have performance merits which standout above the other. Dog 1 has been virtually perfect on 6 tough marks, no hunts. The marks of no other dog comes close to dog 1 except dog 2. Dog 2 has been near perfect on 5 marks with only one small under the arc hunt (so small you might rate it as comparable to dog 1 on that bird) in the 1st series but dog 2 has a rather large hunt on the go-bird flyer shot in heavy cover in the 4th (both dog 1 & dog 2 encountered the flyer to be downed in essentially the same spot on the go-bird flyer). It should be noted that dog 2 ran relatively late with lots of duck feathers blown over the area of fall and beyond while dog 1 ran several dogs earlier but with similar wind direction. Dog 1's blinds were just OK, the land blind work of dog 1 was middle of the pack, with the water blind of dog 1 poor but apparently good enough to get to the 4th series. Dog 2's blinds were near the top of the field in both the 2nd and 3rd series.

From the information you have been provided who is your winner & why?
    David Didier, GA

Unqualified to answer but Dog #2 wins....there was NO poor or mediocre work
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

I'd want to see the work. Marking is of primary importance. Doesn't say that blinds are unimportant though. A small in the area hunt is about the same as a pin so I'm leaning towards dog 2.

But, I want to see it to judge it.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy View Post
    The trial is complete. The judges have narrowed their decision for picking a winner to two dogs. Both dogs have run a wonderful trial and both have performance merits which standout above the other. Dog 1 has been virtually perfect on 6 tough marks, no hunts. The marks of no other dog comes close to dog 1 except dog 2. Dog 2 has been near perfect on 5 marks with only one small under the arc hunt (so small you might rate it as comparable to dog 1 on that bird) in the 1st series but dog 2 has a rather large hunt on the go-bird flyer shot in heavy cover in the 4th (both dog 1 & dog 2 encountered the flyer to be downed in essentially the same spot on the go-bird flyer). It should be noted that dog 2 ran relatively late with lots of duck feathers blown over the area of fall and beyond while dog 1 ran several dogs earlier but with similar wind direction. Dog 1's blinds were just OK, the land blind work of dog 1 was middle of the pack, with the water blind of dog 1 poor but apparently good enough to get to the 4th series. Dog 2's blinds were near the top of the field in both the 2nd and 3rd series.

From the information you have been provided who is your winner & why?
    The dog 2, 4th series "rather large hunt" should have been described as large and lengthy..........
    David Didier, GA

"Relative merits" would tend to favor Dog #2 - owing to his superior performance on the 2 blinds.

Would have to see it. Were you one of the judges or victims?

Is one lengthy, large hunt on a flyer worse than one poor, but passable blind? Almost sounds like a tossup. Did the judges have a long discussion? Or another series?
    Last edited by huntinman; 06-03-2013 at 06:39 PM.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy View Post
    The dog 2, 4th series "rather large hunt" should have been described as large and lengthy..........
    Well this comment has just pushed my vote to dog#1. When the rule books for both Field Trials and Hunt Tests in both AKA and CKC emphasis the importance of marking ability I would honour that when scoring if things were just as described: "Dog 1 has been virtually perfect on 6 tough marks, no hunts. The marks of no other dog comes close to dog 1 except dog 2."

Natural abilities, when truly exceptional, will trump a weak blind relative to the next best dog in my opinion.
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.

Let's say the judges came to agreement & picked a winner from the performances of the 4 series...hypothetical question of course. Just wanting to get an understanding of how folks here would pick a winner from the info provided and why. Particularly interested in how folks view the performances on blinds relative to marks based upon their understand of the rules.

For further clarification, remember dog 1's land blind was middle of the pack and added info, dog 1's 3rd series water blind was not the worst to get to the 4th but not near as good as the water blind of dog 2. It seems to me it boils down to 6 perfect marks, one good blind & one poor blind for dog 1 in comparison to 4 perfect marks, one very good mark, one poor mark & two excellent blinds for dog 2. On that basis who is your winner?
    David Didier, GA

based on that wording I switch to #1

i
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    based on that wording I switch to #1

i
    Can you explain why?
    David Didier, GA