The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Flea Collar vs. Liquid

Default Flea Collar vs. Liquid

I've been using the PetArmor drops on my BLF and so far they seem to be effective. 3-month's worth costs me about 25 bucks or so. That being said, I hate the white residue that shows up immediately following the application... even though it only last a few days. While at Rural King the other day, I noticed several brands of flea/tick collars. These collars supposedly last 6 months, and are significantly cheaper at just 5-7 dollars each. The active ingredients are different, however.

Anyone use the flea collars on their dog? Are they as effective as the drop? Thoughts... opinions?

Banned

I have been very impressed with the Seresto collar. Same company and chemicals as Advantix, $49.99 less a $20 rebate for 8 months.

The Scalibor gets high marks too.

Quote Originally Posted by SpinRetriever View Post
    I have been very impressed with the Seresto collar. Same company and chemicals as Advantix, $49.99 less a $20 rebate for 8 months.

The Scalibor gets high marks too.
    'That seems like a pretty good deal. Do you ever have issues with too many collars on the dog? i.e. regular collar, e-collar, then flea collar in addition...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by J_Brown View Post
    'That seems like a pretty good deal. Do you ever have issues with too many collars on the dog? i.e. regular collar, e-collar, then flea collar in addition...
    I haven't.

I bought it from Dr. Foster & Smith and did the rebate directly through Bayer. Dr. F &S has a 100% GTY, no questions asked. If you have trouble send it back.

This collar has ridges on the underside so it doesn't move around and its supposed to be sized right against the skin. I don't think you will have any issues. I have really chunky PermaTack collars and they slide over the flea collar really easily.

I am very impressed with it so far.....height of the tick season and not one. I used Advantix for years but this seems like a safer way to use those chemicals, rather than dumping a month's worth all at once.

Can you use the collar and use Trifexis also? I looked on the Bayer website, but cannot find the info.
    Carol

CH HRCH Rippling Waters Lagundo Sula MH - Sula
    GRHRCH Rippling Waters Talladega MH 500 Point Club - Tally
    HRCH Rippling Waters Capt. Marvel - Shazam
    HRCH UH Ambertrail's Bring The House MH 1,000 Point Club - Blitz
    GRHRCH UH Rippling Waters Daytona MH 500 Point Club - Day
    HRCH Rippling Waters Fire In The Hole MH

Big tick battle here so I've been using either Frontline or Certfifect and a Preventic collar. That's only on one dog who's my slowest, oldest and seems to be the pied piper of ticks. Others are getting along well on just Certifect, etc.
    I trained a client dog that was using a collar that was supposed to last 6 months or so but I don't recall the name. It was pretty pricey according to them. Never had any bugs on him. Of course he never sat still long enough to let anything get on him!

Thanks for the tips, guys. I just used up the last dose of Pet Armor that I had so maybe next month I'll look into a collar.

if you buy the collar from a retail chain (petco, petsmart, etc) you can not get the rebate. went to fill out the form today and read the fine print and it says it there at the bottom just an fyi

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    if you buy the collar from a retail chain (petco, petsmart, etc) you can not get the rebate. went to fill out the form today and read the fine print and it says it there at the bottom just an fyi
    Good pick up. I guess they want you to buy it from a Vet's office. Dr. Foster & Smith counts I suppose.

Get on the phone and complain. I bet they send it to you.

I was debating between this or the Scalibor. I went with Scalibor and so far have not had any bugs on the outside dogs. It only lasts six months, but it will be winter by then.

Meagan
    Alexander's Sweet Emma Jo
    "Emma" Born March 31, 2011