The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: things i learned at my 1st senior test

Default things i learned at my 1st senior test

first thing I want to say this is not a judge bashing [they were great] or a comparison between akc and hrc . as I looked over the test, it looked easy the 1st bird was a flyer about 75 yrds in front then the 2nd came out 45 degrees to the left both landing I pretty heavy cover on the way back from the flyer a diversion was shot then did the blind then honor. I have a 20 mo old clm . the things I was worried about like being nuts coming to the line being steady and not breaking on the honor all of those things he did well. the marks he nailed, then the wheels came off the land blind was about 60 yrds he has been doing these for several months. as I lined him up I could not get him to look away from the last mark he just picked up. in order to run the blind he had to run about 30 yrds to the left of the old mark almost like a poison mark. I sent him to the blind but he onlt took about 10 steps and started towards the old fall, I gave him a quick whistle he stopped but continued to stare at the bird boys blind and the old fall I gave him a cast and that's when he became a independent contractor after 2 more whistle refusal I called him in and we were done. I have ran and judged several hrc seasoned tests an have never seen a line to the blind so close to a old fall . I watched 1 senior test years ago and they ran the marks and turned 180 degrees to get away from the marks. I will train hard and they won't get me the next time. on a good note I met a lot of nice people and got to be a by dog so he got to pick several live flyers . also the judges didn't make fun of me too bad for full cammo and reaching for my broom stick gun when they were going to shoot the diversion. so I will train harder and be back

Great Attitude!
    Your gonna nail your next one!!!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Thanks for sharing that Pat! One question: had you trained on blind drills or pattern blind drills as part of your training regime ? I'm hoping you say "no".

As part of Lardy's program to build up to cold blinds, we've been doing a lot of these drills where the gunner throws mark toward line of blind. Dog gets mark, then sent for blind. Dog is sucked into the gun/aof and handled off of it to the blind. I'm hoping that the fact that we've been doing that will translate at our first ever senior coming up in 10 days. I'm skeert!
    Last edited by Jennifer Henion; 06-05-2013 at 12:01 PM.

Sounds like he likes flyers...a lot. Has he had them routinely in training?

we have been through t and wagon wheel drills also pattern drills I haven't trained on poison birds which is what we will work on next. also there is a drill with a gunner in the field where you set up a pile of bumpers with a gunner off to one side I don't remember what it's called. also he is nuts for birds and bumpers he is a 20 month old 62 lbs little rocket. he some times gets in trouble because he is so fast. if I wait just a little too long to blow the whistle he's already in trouble if I whistle too soon he looks at me like I've got it what's wrong with you. I have talked to several people who have told me they don't usually run blinds that close to marks. the reason I think they did it was we have had a lot of rain in the Midwest and might have been restricted on how they placed them. either war I should not have been in too much of a hurry

Sounds like fun! In our training we pratice running blinds by guns, old falls, sometimes as close as 10-20 feet. We do this often and its invaluable. It always amazes me, somtimes even a mark that we did several days earlier in the same field will still suck him off line. My CLM is 2.5 now - we started him a little late but train almost every day. I feel like right now he is just about at the point where I could expect him to handle a situation like that, but I wouldn't have expected it at 20 months. Takes a while running blinds with different factors before the dog really begins to trust that you are sending him to the correct place.
    Last edited by Meleagris1; 06-05-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Disappointed that you did not observe that the AKC " folks were not as friendly as the "HRC" crowd.
    I think you will find that some of the tests will be a little more technical than the HRC test set ups. Good luck next time.
    Tongue in cheek regards
    MP
    The pain of regret is much worse than the pain of hard work.

There is a simple poison bird blind drill that can be done very quickly that will help you through the transition. When I do it I do it in 3 separate locations usually from almost the same location. I don't have a pic but will describe it.
    Set up a winger and hide 50 yds from the mat. Set 1 blind pole off the backside of the station at 100 yds, set one blind stake where the line takes the dog unde the arc at 95 yds, and set one outside the fall area at 85 yds. To start I run all 3 blinds, then throw the mark, pick up the mark, repeat the blinds. The advanced stage is to then throw the mark and pick up all 3 blinds then the mark. Rotate and repeat set up as grounds allow. As dog gets good scale back on step 1 and 2 until you can do it off 3 wingers with no problem. The proofing phase then is to shoot a flyer out of the gun station and run the 3 blinds then pick up the mark. Usually a few days on this then revisit every week until he dog understands the concept and cues for mark/blind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Perry View Post
    Disappointed that you did not observe that the AKC " folks were not as friendly as the "HRC" crowd.
    I think you will find that some of the tests will be a little more technical than the HRC test set ups. Good luck next time.
    Tongue in cheek regards
    MP
    well it might be best that I failed if I had passed I might have thought I was ready for finished

Pat I am sorry it did not work out
    but we did have fun and thank you for helping us with bye dog
    david Jansma
    The time you spend on earth with your dog is precious; enjoy it to your fullest