The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living/Training/Waterfowl Hunting in Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN Area

Default Living/Training/Waterfowl Hunting in Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN Area

Anyone have any thoughts they care to share about living in the Twin Cities area of MN to include quality of life, training opportunities, and waterfowl hunting? I am considering an opportunity in that area. I currently live in NC. I know there are some very active field trial and hunt test clubs upstate and in Wisconsin. Is there a good area to focus on within a decent commute of the Twin Cities to pick up some land and a house? Other than the long winters, is MN a good place to live?

Any thoughts or words of wisdom would be appreciated!

Thanks

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

I wouldn't live anywhere else. There are good ht/FT clubs all over the state but strongest on the north side of the cities. Plenty of good hunting especially geese. Land is expensive with how high corn and beans have gotten.
    Mike Peters

The twin cities area is a great place to live. Minnesota has tons of opportunities for hunting, fishing and outdoor recreation activities, FT/HT clubs all over the place also.

At least you'd be close to North Dakota.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR BISS GCH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC TDI (Blew)

Come on up and see for yourself. We are a hearty group that loves to be outside all year round. Tons of water and woods. Northwest side is good for clubs and training. Just a hop skip and a jump to the pheasant capital of the world in SD. If you come up bring your dog and you can train on our grounds with us. PM me and we can set it up.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Agree with all the above, and 30 below keeps the riff raff out. Not much for clubs in west metro but north metro has solid clubs. Duck hunting in mn is challenging but very doable.

Plus, SD and ND are close by. Lots of things to do otherwise, sports, food, entertainment, lots of fun places to visit in state. Great fishing for bass and walleye.

We hunt a lot out of state for pheasants, land is hard to get on. We shoot a lot of geese however around the cities. They are considered a nuisance by many. I'm happy to help decline the goose population!

Please stop mentioning how close it is to the Dakotas.
    There are already enough non residents coming over there. When I bought my land up there a few years ago, you would never see a posted sign. Now it is hard to find some ground that is not posted. Too many NR's not acting properly and land owners getting fed up with the hassles. Last year we had a field that was corn stubble that we shot limits of ducks and gees in every 3rd day. Land was posted. Last day of our hunt, we get there to hunt and there are some guys from Minn. that had already set up and were planning to hunt. We told them the land was posted and then an argument ensued. We left and hunted another spot but this is becoming more and more of an issue.
    Now we have oil workers all over the place too.
    MP
    Last edited by Mike Perry; 06-06-2013 at 05:45 AM.
    The pain of regret is much worse than the pain of hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Perry View Post
    Please stop mentioning how close it is to the Dakotas.
    There are already enough non residents coming over there. When I bought my land up there a few years ago, you would never see a posted sign. Now it is hard to find some ground that is not posted. Too many NR's not acting properly and land owners getting fed up with the hassles. Last year we had a field that was corn stubble that we shot limits of ducks and gees in every 3rd day. Land was posted. Last day of our hunt, we get there to hunt and there are some guys from Minn. that had already set up and were planning to hunt. We told them the land was posted and then an argument ensued. We left and hunted another spot but this is becoming more and more of an issue.
    Now we have oil workers all over the place too.
    MP
    Unfortunately Mike, this is America so....

Besides, I am sure Blackjack knows how to use a map. Maybe we should ask the LOW guys about the a-holes from ND fishing there spots. There are a-holes everywhere you go, no need to point fingers.
    Old Oaks Mr. October "Mack"

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Retrievers - NC View Post
    Anyone have any thoughts they care to share about living in the Twin Cities area of MN to include quality of life, training opportunities, and waterfowl hunting? I am considering an opportunity in that area. I currently live in NC. I know there are some very active field trial and hunt test clubs upstate and in Wisconsin. Is there a good area to focus on within a decent commute of the Twin Cities to pick up some land and a house? Other than the long winters, is MN a good place to live?

Any thoughts or words of wisdom would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Been lucky to have visited many parts of the country and would not choose to live anywhere but MN.

Yes sometimes the winters get long, but we have a lot going on during the winter.
    Schools are second to none.
    Taxes over all are pretty fair considering all of teh offerings the state has.

You can run a FT or HT just about evey weekend beginning in April thru September in MN. Or just across the boarder in western WI.

The metro area has several HT/FT clubs and many more are just north of the cities. A great tradition of dog people in this state. Some of the oldest clubs in the country are here and active. My home club is the oldest HT club in the state and ran the 3rd HT eve in the country. ( AKC ) Clubs here have held, and are holding the NA. ( Blackhawk in Mondovi, WI ) There are clubs who own there own grounds and 2800 acres of training ground east of St Paul where you can buy a seasonal pass.

Duck hunting has been poor for quite a few years, but the goose hunting is very good. Fishing is always good. ( 10,000 lakes don't ya know )
    As far as land, just NE of St Paul you can still find a few spots that are affordable.

PM if you want specifics.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!