The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: What group do you fall into...

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Group A

1 1.41%
  • Group B

61 85.92%
  • Group C

9 12.68%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Judging Marks

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon
    Keith,
    We'll have to Judge together sometime.
    john
    Not sure I'd run a dog, but I'd sure as heck sit and the gallery for two days to watch that.....

/Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Griffith

It is the responsibility of the judges to agree at the end of the day on which dogs pass. Since the Master dog is supposed to be the finished hunting companion, it is critical that judges make absolutely, without-a-doubt sure that the dogs they "ribbon" deserve it. That's why it's important to make notes on the test, draw diagrams, note the sunlight conditions and direction of the wind, etc., so that the factors influencing the test and therefore the dog's work can be properly brought to bear in giving that final evaluation and score.

This is why IMHO test setup and evaluation are the most critical aspects of AKC HTs. If there are sound, challenging, and safe tests before the dogs, then let 'em run and let the scores fall where they may. A lot of judges don't have a clue of what sort of dog work to expect when they set up a test....they just want to make sure they fulfill the requirements of the test level per the AKC....up to and including making sure the average scores of "marginal" dogs add up to passing scores at the end.

Sometimes, the "benefit of the doubt" is misused, and that's a shame.

And again, as always, IMHO.........

Keith Griffith
    Couldn't agree more. I've found it interesting how at the end of the test, when talking about the qualifiers with your co-judge, you have those that obviously passed, those that obviously failed and then there are the "we need to talk" dogs. Those are the ones that your really need to have good notes on. Without them you end up relying on your memory for the past two days, and I think this is where a good portion of the "inconsistent" judging comes from. Dogs get passed that perhaps if better notes had been taken would not have passed, and vise versa. People see it and wham, we have inconstant judging. I like to run a couple of dogs on the tests during setup as well. I run the old robot and whatever soon to be master dog I have in the kennel. That way I get a feel for how it looks, and if it's what my co-judge and I want to from the test. Interestingly during many of the setup days I've attended, judges just go with a basic outline and then try and work the kinks out on test day. I hate that, blows time management out of the water doing it that way...

/Paul

Classic thread some of the newbies might get insight from.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Hopefully they won't miss the fack that you are still a turd.

You running at Gervais this weekend?

Still miss Lisa regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Ya, i'm running a couple of hounds up there. I just needed some good old days threads to read.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

The Thread is a good one just illustrates the non-uniformity of master judging, and brings out many of the unofficial rules. Wonder what would happen if you asked the question of the second series, basically the dog pick up 2 clean in the 1st (10) goes a bit wide but gets to the 3rd (hunts tight, stays in the area but has to be put on the bird) (handle #1), second series nails 2 birds overruns the short bird (dog quickly handled) does the dog see the next series? What if the next series is only a double?

Assume scoring would be 10+10+6+10+10+3/6 = 8.1 math-wise a respectable score in marking. But most of the time 2 handles (out) or no clean triple (out).
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 03-20-2013 at 04:41 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Assume scoring would be 10+10+6+10+10+3/6 = 8.1 math-wise
    One of the reasons I can't judge AKC hunting tests....

.....Can't do the math.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    The Thread is a good one just illustrates the non-uniformity of master judging, and brings out many of the unofficial rules. Wonder what would happen if you asked the question of the second series, basically the dog pick up 2 clean in the 1st (10) goes a bit wide but gets to the 3rd (hunts tight, stays in the area but has to be put on the bird) (handle #1), second series nails 2 birds overruns the short bird (dog quickly handled) does the dog see the next series? What if the next series is only a double?

Assume scoring would be 10+10+6+10+10+3/6 = 8.1 math-wise a respectable score in marking. But most of the time 2 handles (out) or no clean triple (out).
    It depends (LVL ca 2003). What is she wearing and is that good news?

It's all a matter of priorities regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post

Unless my co-judge is adamant about it and has a sound reason to drop the dog, I would probably want to see the dog in the third. I tend to bring a lot of dogs back and sort things out at the end. I'm not a big fan of doubles for the final series of a master. I'm going to be there all weekend anyways. Afew extra minutes of my time is just not that valuable. What's important is to be handing out rosettes to the right teams on sunday. I want to drive home knowing that's what happened.-Paul
    Last edited by paul young; 03-20-2013 at 07:36 PM.
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.