The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Malcolm retired gunner

Default Malcolm retired gunner

Anyone out there using the Malcolm Retired Gunner? If so, any thoughts besides the obvious....its expensive?

It obviously is the best thing out there for retired guns. It works off TT or Dogtra (or the new hawx for bb). It allows for retire and reappear, which means for those who train alone, you have the option to have the gunner reappear to help the dog out, if needed.

The downside. IT IS EXPENSIVE. It also is heavy, and a little tough to store, since the pole part that allows for raise and lower is so tall.

BUT, with that being said, the fact you can raise it again if needed is huge.

I just bought one of the retired gunners from Dogs Afield. It is based off of the dog flush model, but has the white for gunner. It measures about 24" x 24" and 10" tall (in storage mode) and raises to about 4-5 foot tall (can not remember right now how tall it is when raised). The only downside is that it works off of proprietary electronics, which are very limited in distance. I think it says works to 250 yards, but I have not tried it out that far. It also is kind of heavy, but seems to work for me.

If I had to pick between the two, without price being the biggest factor, I would choose Malcolm. But, if you want a low price option, the one from Dogs Afield is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by gib View Post
    Anyone out there using the Malcolm Retired Gunner? If so, any thoughts besides the obvious....its expensive?
    Got mine last fall and have used it extensively. The only drawback I have noticed is that the only reliable way to tell when the battery is getting low and needs a charge is that it quits working. It would be nice to have a telltale light to alert to a low battery condition. On the plus side, it has added value when training long guns tight to shorter guns...Malcolm can be raised up and down to get the dog to focus on the longer gunner. I usually pair my Malcolm with a Thunder 500 so that I have 5 shots available in a compact configuration that can be easily hidden behind a very small blind making the retired appearance very inconspicuous. I did get a special blend of an exterior paint in a tree-trunk brown to paint the aluminum riser portion of the Malcolm so that no bright metallic shine stood out at a distance. I have run my Malcolm out as far as 450 yards paired with the Thunder and run by a single TriTronics remote with no distance problems occurring as long as the TT receiver and transmitter are at normal charge level. If you train alone a lot, as I do, Malcolm can be very effective. It will not do as well as an experienced thrower who knows how and when to help a dog but it works well in train alone setups.
    Bruce Bachert Bakbay Labradors
    beb@bakbay.com www.bakbay.com
    Creedmoor, TX (near Austin)

Does anyone know what the cost is for these retired guns?
    Ken Arbogast

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfield Retrievers View Post
    Does anyone know what the cost is for these retired guns?
    Contact information is on their website, as are pictures and video of the Malcolm in operation. They have a blue
    menu on the right at their page http://cphsales.com/. Cost last fall (November 2012) was $425 (U.S. dollars) plus
    shipping. Shipping can be pricey to anyone in the U.S., since they are in Canada.
    Bruce Bachert Bakbay Labradors
    beb@bakbay.com www.bakbay.com
    Creedmoor, TX (near Austin)

I have one and love it. It is pricey but worth it if you are training alone. Shipping was not particularly expensive.

I have a Malcolm. It has proven to be really reliable. The option of having the gun "un-retire" is why I purchased it.