The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Sarge goes to FF & CC

Default Sarge goes to FF & CC

Yesterday we went to visit Northern Storm Kennels to do a little training so Jim could see first hand where Sarge was at in training and what it would require of him to CC and FF him. I had been working on HOLD for 2 weeks and he's got it down pretty good now (drops occasionally once heeled upon return). I HATED the idea of not training him myself, BUT after being there and seeing all the equipment and training grounds I couldn't help but think how much better he would be after being there for a few months. I drove up just to train.... and came home without a dog. I truly believe it will make Sarge a more rounded dog and allow him to be tested to his full capability. He's never had to make a retrieve from a launcher before so within the first 10 mins of him being out I asked Jim to launch one into their pond to see how he would react. He stayed steady until I released him and executed the retrieve to hand nicely! I feel like with their knowledge and equipment I will be getting a lot more than just FF & CC during his 8-10 weeks there. It was a rough first night alone, but I know deep down this is a GREAT experience for Sarge and will build his confidence more than I ever could have. I feel very blessed to have met Jim and his son, their training techniques are very similar to how I handle Sarge currently so the transition should be smooth for him!

Our last retrieve together.... I get to go back in 3 weeks, and then every weekend after if I want.
    Sargent Taylor's Hevi-Shot (Sarge)

Great start of a long life together. You will reap the rewards for a long time to come.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Definitely the best decision I have made for my dog. The time will pass quickly and you'll thank yourself down the road. Good luck to you and Sarge!

And HNTFSH took this as an opportunity to recruit an available, dog-less, bird boy so everyone wins!!! Heck - if this works out maybe Jim can keep Sarge for some more advanced work?

You did a good thing for the right reasons and your dog will have a ball at 'camp'! I'll ping you on training.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

^^ lol.... anything to stay in the game! Cant let him go to school while I sit at home getting fat!
    Sargent Taylor's Hevi-Shot (Sarge)