The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IRS - its 4 divisions (2 have been audited))

Default IRS - its 4 divisions (2 have been audited))

I have been looking at the IRS website which provides sort of an organization chart which says that there are 4 primary divisions:

1. Wage and Investment Div.
    2. Large and Mid-Size Business Div.
    3. Small Business/Self-Employed Div. (that's the division having the scandal over lavish spending for conferences; Faris Fink is the Dep. IRS Commissioner for this division; he was Mr. Spock for the Star Trek video and he stayed in the presidential suite for $3,500/night)
    4. Tax Exempt and Government Entities Div. (that's the division with the scandal over targeting certain groups)

Right now it appears that 2 out of 4 IRS divisions have been audited by the IG and one (Tax Exempt) is now undergoing a full investigation by the IG.
    No telling if scandals involving the other two divisions will surface.

I can't find any information on line as to what division is in charge of selecting individual tax returns, companies, or organization tax returns for audit. For example, it has been testified that donors to some of the tax exempt groups were either audited personally or their companies were audited or both. What is the protocol for auditing a person, their company, or an organization?

Anybody on RTF know?

Helen

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...-gerald-walpin
    This is an interesting piece by someone who once served as an IG, and was fired ... NOT because he wasn't doing his job. He notes other IGs who have been discarded; and the failure to appoint replacements.

It would appear that the administration has effectively reigned in the watchdogs, which would result in enabling the questionable behaviors? If the other IG positions are filled, we might see more spit hitting the fan?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

The Treasury Inspector General for the Internal Revenue Service recently released the results of an audit of the IRS finding that thousands of IRS agents have used government credit cards illicitly and at least 325 were caught writing bad checks to cover the expenditures.

Just as we’ve learned of the IRS intimidation scandal we find that a thousand agents don’t care much about paying their own bills! The report reviewed employees of the IRS between 2010 and 2011 and found that fully 1,000 employees misused the credit cards issued to the IRS by Citibank, that 325 tried to pay their bills with checks written on accounts with insufficient funds and that Citibank suspended dozens of accounts for failure to pay balances. The report also determined that the IRS was far too lenient in disciplining those responsible.

There seems to be no end to the fraud and waste among civil servants.

“We found that 15 cardholders with either secret or top-secret clearances had their travel accounts suspended due to their failure to pay outstanding balances. Two other cardholders with secret and top-secret clearances presented NSF [non-sufficient funds] checks to Citibank for payment of their travel card balance.”
    “In addition, 94 cardholders serving public trust positions requiring moderate and high-level background checks wrote one or more NSF checks, and 36 had their accounts charged off [written off as a loss by Citibank] due to their failure to pay outstanding balances.”

“For example a tax compliance officer wrote seven NSF checks in FY 2011 while occupying a position that required a moderate-risk background investigation.”

Government credit cards are issued in two basic types. Centrally billed cards which the U.S. government pays for directly, and individually billed cards, where employees pay the bills and submit a voucher to their bosses reimbursement. The cards in question here are of the latter type.

The IG reported that the IRS charged over $121 million for expenses claimed by the 51,974 employees using the individual travel cards in the time period under review.

In addition, the IRS lacked standard policies for referring employees who misused their travel cards to security personnel to determine if background checks, security clearances, and suitability for employment determinations required reevaluation. As a result, employees who wrote NSF checks or had suspended or charged-off accounts received little or no disciplinary action in response to their misuse and did not have their background clearances reevaluated for suitability for employment.”

“However, we determined that an overly lenient approach was taken in approximately half of the 30 cases we reviewed. The lack of aggressive steps taken to address travel card misuse and the lack of a subsequent reevaluation of employee background checks and clearances reduces the overall effectiveness of controls over the travel card program and provides a reduced deterrent factor for travel card misuse.”
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

If true, I find this interesting:
    J Russell George Went to Harvard with Michelle Obama.
    J Russell George Was president Of BSLA. So was Michelle.
    J Russell George Went on date with Michelle
    Barack Obama went to Harvard and knows J Russell George, too.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    If true, I find this interesting:
    They are all looking out for each other... The people be damned. The only way this is ever going to change (if it ever really does). Is for the folks to start throwing all of the bums out. Starting with all of the ones who have been there the longest.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    .................................................. ............................ The only way this is ever going to change (if it ever really does). Is for the folks to start throwing all of the bums out. Starting with all of the ones who have been there the longest.
    Wish every voter in the USA felt this way.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Quote Originally Posted by charly_t View Post
    Wish every voter in the USA felt this way.
    Judges too. I vote against most of the local incumbents every time. Doesn't do any good though.
    Bill Davis

When I was in Europe with the Air Force, I was in positions that required frequent travel, often with only an hour or two notice and often to some really strange places (Israel, Tanzania, Kenya, are the sort of places...oh yes, and Hawaii). I carried world wide blanket travel orders and an Air Force credit card. I could go anyplace in the world on my own volition and the government's nickel. The only control was that I had to write a travel report when I returned. If I'd run up a bill like this for even one trip, my next trip would have been to the Fort Leavenworth Army Disciplinary Barracks.

What I'm saying is that these trips and the NSF repayments should not have been a function of the IG. These are criminal acts and should have been prosecuted. Maybe they still can be,
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepa...nuses-n1622633
    It seems that the IRS will still be giving out bonuses ...
    The Internal Revenue Service is about to pay $70 million in employee bonuses despite an Obama administration directive to cancel discretionary bonuses because of automatic spending cuts enacted this year, according to a GOP senator.

Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa says his office has learned that the IRS is executing an agreement with the employees' union on Wednesday to pay the bonuses. Grassley says the bonuses should be canceled under an April directive from the White House budget office.

The directive was written by Danny Werfel, a former budget official who has since been appointed acting IRS commissioner.
    Office of Management and Budget "guidance directs that agencies should not pay discretionary monetary awards at this time, unless legally required," IRS spokeswoman Michelle Eldridge said in a statement. "IRS is under a legal obligation to comply with its collective bargaining agreement, which specifies the terms by which awards are paid to bargaining-unit employees."

Eldridge, however, would not say whether the IRS believes it is contractually obligated to pay the bonuses.

"In accordance with OMB guidance, the IRS is actively engaged with NTEU on these matters in recognition of our current budgetary constraints," Eldridge said.

The National Treasury Employees Union did not respond to requests for comment.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...er-on-website/
    The latest bungle of the IRS ... accidentally releasing an estimated 100,000 SS #s publicly on its website.

Ted Cruz may be very right ... abolish this agency and start over! Of course, that would wreak havoc with the unemployment figures. The report was that 195,000 jobs were created in April. Abolishing the IRS might easily wipe out that number.

LOL! Would you hire a former IRS employee?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com