The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pup swallowed a sock....

I am with everyone else, that if he is still throwing up, can not keep anything down, take him in. However, we were taking care of a pet Golden one time, eating fine, acting fine, bowel movements fine, no throwing up, then on the third day she pooped out one of her owner's socks and a large mess of stool. The owners were not even phased, they knew that she had eaten the sock before they sent her to our house. She did it all the time supposedly without incident.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Pines View Post
    I am with everyone else, that if he is still throwing up, can not keep anything down, take him in. However, we were taking care of a pet Golden one time, eating fine, acting fine, bowel movements fine, no throwing up, then on the third day she pooped out one of her owner's socks and a large mess of stool. The owners were not even phased, they knew that she had eaten the sock before they sent her to our house. She did it all the time supposedly without incident.
    The trouble is, you just never know. I had one throw up polyester stuffing. It could have only been eaten 2 weeks prior. But her daughter, when she ate a string rug, intestines were start to darken in about 4 hours. Luckily, they pinked right up when the rug material was removed.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Hyg Peroxide had to use it twice on my last puppy. Wife kept leaving her socks on the floor. Thank goodness we caught it right away both times.

I once had a friend who's dog ate a sock but they did not know it until the dog tried to push it out the other end. it started but the dog could not push it all out and then the dog coward in the corner like it was ashamed. they had to help pull the sock the rest of the way out. I would still see the vet. just to be sure.

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

Be very careful "assisting" and pulling anything lodged from the dog's anus. If it is twisted, you could cause damage.
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator
    http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

This happened to me when he was one he took a sock from the bathroom floor I called the vet he said can't hurt so Hyg Peroxide we went. He threw up 2 go figures no idea where the other one came from. He must of swiped it from the laundry basket when she walked by.

Best wishes on the pup Labguy.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Default Sock

Use 2 Tbls of Hyg Peroxide works like a charm....

I hope this pup is ok. My friends dog ate a panty hose they did surgery but lost her because of damage to her intestines. Dont wait to long to get into a vet.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

Quote Originally Posted by tucker View Post
    Use 2 Tbls of Hyg Peroxide works like a charm....
    He posted about 9 hours ago.

I'm not a vet but I personally would only rely upon hydrogen peroxide if it were swallowed within the last several minutes. Not hours.

I've used H2O2 more than once to induce vomiting. But it has been for something that was recently swallowed.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"