The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pup swallowed a sock....

He is fine now. Basically got back from the vet and started feeding him a little water/food about a half an hour apart and alternating between the two. Eventually he puked it up. I have never been so excited to see him puke something up in the middle of the living room!! ($1000 surgery just went back into the savings account) But, either way, still glad I went into the vet. Definitely going to be picking up some hydrogen peroxide soon though.

Quote Originally Posted by LabGuy6 View Post
    He is fine now. Basically got back from the vet and started feeding him a little water/food about a half an hour apart and alternating between the two. Eventually he puked it up. I have never been so excited to see him puke something up in the middle of the living room!! ($1000 surgery just went back into the savings account) But, either way, still glad I went into the vet. Definitely going to be picking up some hydrogen peroxide soon though.
    VERY glad to hear!
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

My previous dog had three or four full body xrays before he was 18 months old. Never had to have surgery, but we did discover that stomach acid and intestinal peristalsis make a very effective gold cleaner when he swallowed my wife's necklace and pendant.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Glad to hear it ended well. We had a similar scare at our house about this time last year. Our pup ate a sock during a weekend visit from the trainer's kennel. Hydrogen Peroxide didn't work in this case and so it became a wait and see kind of thing. The original plan was to drop him off at the trainer's kennel the next day which we reluctantly did after a few discussions with him (basically wanted to be sure he didn't think we were dumping our problem off on him). Anyway, the next day I received a text with a photo of a sock that had come out the back end asking if we wanted it back.

I know some say 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide does the trick. My dog seems to require a bit more but I'm sure every dog is different. I've had to do it twice and the best technique seems to be dose once, wait 10 minutes,if no result then dose again.

[QUOTE] Definitely going to be picking up some hydrogen peroxide soon though.[QUOTE]

I think 'picking up' your socks might be equally as important! <g> Seriously - you got lucky this time.
    Don't know size/age of your pup but especially if he is small I would be very cautious giving him
    peroxide for something large as a sock - you don't want him trying to regurgitate something
    that may choke him. So - never hurts to call the vet for advice first.

[QUOTE=riskyriver;1114083][QUOTE] Definitely going to be picking up some hydrogen peroxide soon though.

I think 'picking up' your socks might be equally as important! <g> Seriously - you got lucky this time.
    Don't know size/age of your pup but especially if he is small I would be very cautious giving him
    peroxide for something large as a sock - you don't want him trying to regurgitate something
    that may choke him. So - never hurts to call the vet for advice first.
    Pick up the socks and you won't need the peroxide unless you want to bleach him out to be a yellow dog!
    I ignore stupidity unless you bring it to my attention!
    Crystal Coast Labradors

CCL Return To Sender
    N Sana Te

The best way I found to keep my pup from eating socks, is to get rid of the damn KIDS!!!! Good thing my kids use those small tiny socks that barely reach your ankles. Jackson is only 7 months old and he has thrown up 3 of them and pooped out 4 of them. I swear I am going to beat my kids on the next one!!!

That pup will find anything and everything and it all goes in the mouth and he is lightening fast and sneaky quiet. I started making him wear a bell in the house and it drives everyone crazy but they are getting the picture! I tell them if you are not going to watch him and keep him at your side, put him in his kennel - they then say they feel bad - I remind them how bad they will feel if he eats something and needs surgery. Works for a day or two and then they forget.

My next step is to throw out all soxks!!!

5 socks is the most I have witnessed coming out the top end at one time. Dog hasn't eaten any since that episode with the Hydrogen peroxide.
    Just Win

My pup is always trying to eat my socks. Fortunately, she hasn't swallowed one yet.

I am glad to hear he puked it up. When Zucker was a pup she swallowed a felt scarf. One minute it was there the next it was not...I just knew she ate it. I forced about 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide down her throat and within 5 minutes she began throwing up. I saw a small bit of the scarf and grabbed it and pulled it all the way out. So thankful for the internet and free advice!
    Tracy Wight

www.wightlightningretrievers.com
    HRCH UH Zucker's Wight Lightning MH QAA "Zucker"
    Wight's Goddess of Victory MH QAA "Nike"