The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Coyote danger? (GDG)

There's a video going around on youtube via FB showing a coyote trying to take a small dog right on the driveway of their house. Just as you're thinking that little dog is done for, here comes a Rottie, who hits that coyote in a cloud of dust and runs it off. If I can find the link I'll add it here. Never underestimate the lowly coyote, they are fearless.

Here it is.
    Last edited by Pam Spears; 06-08-2013 at 08:19 PM.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

Very often a lone coyote is not alone. They will sometimes try to lure a dog further away where another two or three are waiting. Do not take chances with your dogs regardless of size. We have a lot of coyotes here and they are very bold in residential areas. Last year while dove hunting we watched several just on the fringe of some vineyards. They were definitely interested in the dogs. All were Labs, 70 lbs+ The coyotes were not too intimidated and never far away.
    Denise Jepson
    Centerfield Retrievers

Five Star Fielders Choice MH
    Centerfields My-Oh-My SH
    Centerfields Waterfowl Wizard

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference! -Winston Churchill
    There's those that just TALK about doin' it and those that just DO IT!

I'm a little skeptical. I find it hard to believe that neither dog would have made a sound when a coyote came near. Maybe a coyote could have grabbed a dachshund and killed it before it got a squeak out, but a 20 lb lab? If there were a lot of prairie dog holes around, it's possible the dachshund went into a hole, which is what they were bred to do. I've heard of terriers going into holes and getting themselves wedged in so they couldn't back out. Prairie dogs attract badgers, too. If the dachshund went into a badger hole, I doubt he'd come out, except as badger poop.
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

I have also heard of one coyote luring a large dog out to the woods, where a pack were waiting and finished it off....
    Liz Macpherson
    Rowantide Tollers
    www.rowantide.com

CH Kare's Ocean Tide CDX WC JH (1999-2009-RIP)
    HRCH UH CH Rowantide's Taylor Maid CDX SH, CDN/US WCX (2 MH passes!)
    HR CH Rowantide's Quikkr Pikkr Uppr CD JH, CDN/US WCX
    HR CH Rowantide's Remember Me CD WCX
    UH HRCH CH Rowantide's Celtic Cap WCX
    CH Rowantide's Quack Addict WC
    Rowantide's 1 More 4 the Road
    UH Trinity Just'Nuther Redhead

Anyone can train a Lab......
    maybe even a Toller person....

I know the danger from coyotes is no joke but...
    Here's a clueless fat ass chocolate dog and (luckily) a coyote who's a bit chicken.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CvrGxR9...eature=related
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

That dog would have fed Wiley and his family for a year! I don't think we have badgers here, but there is no way to know what happened. When the lab pup disappeared it was following the older dog out of the yard. So was not near enough to hear a fight if there was one. Who knows, but 2 dogs gone in 3 weeks is enough to keep me on high alert.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

How big are the yotes in your area? The ones I have been seeing around here probably don't go 35lbs.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

At least one went at my 85lb lab. Tore his hind end up and needed quite a few stitches to close up the bite. He was no worse the wear after a while. They will send in a female and try and sucker your dog away while the others lay and wait a short distance away. A farmer friend watched them try and lure his St. Bernard away. He was plowing his fields and could see 3 others waiting in the far fence row. The Bernard was no fool and didn't fall for it luckily. They take calves and sheep frequently in my area, so you need to be vigilante. Especially with a firearm at the ready.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Seminole Ben SH WCX
    2NMH 3GMH HRCH Heads Up Lightning Strikes WCX

I started hunting coyotes in the last year and let me tell you they will do whatever it takes to eat! Anyone that thinks their dog is safe and is too big for even a 20# coyote to take down is wrong!!! People are right, they will send in a female to lure another dog away, then it is game over. I saw a video last year of two coyotes taking down a perfectly healthy 200# whitetail buck. If they can take a deer that big down a dog doesn't stand a chance.

Bottom line, try to kill every coyote you see because the one you let go might be the one that takes your dog out.
    Brandon Edmondson

Carol, there is a big deal going on in the front range just north of us with coyotes, people, and pets. Warnings include no unattended pets in the backyard if you are up against open space. My brother-in-law saw two in his backyard; they are up against a horse pasture in the middle of suburbia. His next door neighbor no longer has ducks in the pond in his backyard, and the chickens are gone too (which is probaby why the coyotes were there).

If I can find the link from the Colorado Front Range I'll send it to you. They produced a youtube video about the proper way to haze coyotes as opposed to how not to haze coyotes (shoo, little dog, shoo).

I watched a coyote set up where a single coyote tried to lure a dog out - and there was a small pack of coyotes waiting in the wings. This was when we still ran HT at Bosque del Apache. After a half hour they gave up and the whole pack came out of hiding.

You're 70 lbers could probably take a single coyote. But not 6 or 8.

Several of the stories offered here are exactly correct - coyotes tend to hate domestic dogs and sure like to kill them just like wolves kill coyotes. When I have my dogs out, I have all of six of them running so i don't think any pack of coyotes will try - they never have - but even a big dog

The .223 cure keeps them in line, but without some kind of strong negative reinforcement, they have no fear.

I don't know your county - in Bernalillo County there is no discharge of firearms. Here in San Juan County, its fish and game rules, no discharge within 150 yards of a house without written permission. Bon has the right idea.
    Chuck