The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Coyote danger? (GDG)

Quote Originally Posted by ad18 View Post
    At least one went at my 85lb lab. Tore his hind end up and needed quite a few stitches to close up the bite. He was no worse the wear after a while. They will send in a female and try and sucker your dog away while the others lay and wait a short distance away. A farmer friend watched them try and lure his St. Bernard away. He was plowing his fields and could see 3 others waiting in the far fence row. The Bernard was no fool and didn't fall for it luckily. They take calves and sheep frequently in my area, so you need to be vigilante. Especially with a firearm at the ready.
    Yep what he said. There is a reason coyotes have been called the tricksters.

Quote Originally Posted by 1st retriever View Post
    Usually when an animal gets that bold they are starving or have a disease like Distemper or Rabies.
    Not the case with Coyotes... when they get urbanized and realize where the easy prey is there is only one cure.... a .223 to the vitals. They are ruthless and do hunt in packs. Watch all the bad press that the wolves in Yellowstone are getting in regards to killing cattle, well Coyotes may not be as big as wolves. But have the same genetic drive and hunt in the same manner.

Coyotes and Cougars around here will be seen in the foothills and other urban areas. There are three reasons for it, 1) easy food.... the poodle down the street, table scraps ect. 2) They are young, and have been pushed out of prime habitat by a bigger Cougar or Yote and are searching for their own territory. And 3) out west Water Rules.... All creatures need to have access to water, urban sprinklers, golf course ponds, cattle watering ect has water which is necessary to sustain life. THe Coyotes know that too
    God, Family, Country & LSU Football.

It's my opinion that coyotes suffer from a lead deficiency. All they need is a little bit of lead and they are no longer problematic.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Coyotes sure don't like 55 gr. V Max's.

Everywhere, and anywhere, without mercy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Teahan View Post
    Coyotes sure don't like 55 gr. V Max's.

Everywhere, and anywhere, without mercy.
    Nice!!!

You should put a silencer on that AR and really see how amazing it is coyote hunting!!!
    Brandon Edmondson

Still has the sonic crack. No difference in effect!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Teahan View Post
    Still has the sonic crack. No difference in effect!
    Yea ok.....
    Brandon Edmondson

I find it interesting that many of you would move to the country & then attempt to citify your surroundings. Predators are there for a purpose, had nature not intended them to thrive, she would not have nurtured their development. The two legged predators in the city are much worse than the 4 legged & winged are in this setting.

We have always lived where there are not a lot of people around, by choice. The wildlife we view on a daily basis, & their trust in our presence, says something about how one conducts themselves in their environment. At no time do we try to make them so unwary that they cannot exist in their environment.

Coyotes have tried for a couple of our laying hens & gotten a mouthful of tail feathers as a result. Funny how the hens stay by the house when out of their pen, which in turn keeps the household bugs down.

Predators serve a purpose, they eat lots of rodents & feral cats, don't leave things out that they might like to eat & they will no longer cruise your area on a regular basis. A blank pistol, such as you use for training, will make them keep a healthy distance or at the least, eat the neighbors stuff .

You folks remind me of those who move to the boonies, yet expect nothing to interfere with the way of life enjoyed by the city folk. If you don't eat it, shooting it is only the choice of last resort.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

I guess around here the only ones that are killed that have taken a pet is sick and starving. We don't have any (reported on anyway) that are bold enough to do what these are doing. Have heard of it many times but never here. Must have enough space that they have enough wildlife. Well, that and the ones seen around here are usually shot soon after. lol Have lost a dog to a Mountain Lion, and it is a terrible feeling. People have moved into the hills and pushed them down into the country. That and we have TOO many cats around. Should be open season on the cats here!
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    I find it interesting that many of you would move to the country & then attempt to citify your surroundings. Predators are there for a purpose, had nature not intended them to thrive, she would not have nurtured their development. The two legged predators in the city are much worse than the 4 legged & winged are in this setting.

We have always lived where there are not a lot of people around, by choice. The wildlife we view on a daily basis, & their trust in our presence, says something about how one conducts themselves in their environment. At no time do we try to make them so unwary that they cannot exist in their environment.

Coyotes have tried for a couple of our laying hens & gotten a mouthful of tail feathers as a result. Funny how the hens stay by the house when out of their pen, which in turn keeps the household bugs down.

Predators serve a purpose, they eat lots of rodents & feral cats, don't leave things out that they might like to eat & they will no longer cruise your area on a regular basis. A blank pistol, such as you use for training, will make them keep a healthy distance or at the least, eat the neighbors stuff .

You folks remind me of those who move to the boonies, yet expect nothing to interfere with the way of life enjoyed by the city folk. If you don't eat it, shooting it is only the choice of last resort.
    We seldom agree Marvin but on this we do. Coyotes and snakes provide a great service in the boonies. Not to mention I love a coyote song at dark on my back porch. Good post.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon