The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Coyote danger? (GDG)

I think the problem is worse where there is no more country left, urban encroachment into habitat is a recipe for disaster. We are overloaded with yotes, more get taken out by cars then guns around here. I live in the boonies, lots of space and still they are constantly coming up to the yard from the wetland. Fair game Marvin-if they stay down there and eat geese we could call a truce. As it is-no animal gets to threaten my Weezie.

Quote Originally Posted by Pals View Post
    I think the problem is worse where there is no more country left, urban encroachment into habitat is a recipe for disaster. We are overloaded with yotes, more get taken out by cars then guns around here. I live in the boonies, lots of space and still they are constantly coming up to the yard from the wetland. Fair game Marvin-if they stay down there and eat geese we could call a truce. As it is-no animal gets to threaten my Weezie.
    I understand that Nancy. However, I'm betting Weezie isn't ever put in a position to be snatched. I'm not saying don't protect your territory at all. We are responsible to not put our pets in a position for that to happen. Give the Weezer a big kiss for me........not Bart. lol
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

True. I do the best I can to watch them, use the fenced area etc. Accidents happen and I feel for those who have lost their pets to mother nature. It sucks. Last month we were out in the yard and I see her crouch down funny-look up and imagine my surprise there flys an eagle. Beautiful bird. Small dogs went inside.

Weezie is so kissable!!! Thanks Tim!!
    Last edited by Pals; 06-09-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Tim and Mr. Marvin,
    Normally I would agree with your live and let live approach but the coyotes here wreck havoc on calving heifers. The mama cows learn to keep them away but the heifers are a different story. And this is in a pasture bordered by a paved road on two sides. With high tensile electric fence around the pasture. This isn't just an economic concern but an animal care concern, too.
    Don't bother to just be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.
    William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Mills View Post
    Tim and Mr. Marvin,
    Normally I would agree with your live and let live approach but the coyotes here wreck havoc on calving heifers. The mama cows learn to keep them away but the heifers are a different story. And this is in a pasture bordered by a paved road on two sides. With high tensile electric fence around the pasture. This isn't just an economic concern but an animal care concern, too.
    Becky the cattle farmers need to get a donkey. We have more trouble here with the Mexican buzzards. Turkey buzzards have red heads and won't attack Mexican buzzards have grey wing tips and will take the eyes out. Sorry for the squeamish here.

I guarantee put a female donkey in the field and no coyote will bother a calfing sp heifer. Definite herd protectors and cheap when you consider the cost of a calf.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

We have to be careful the coyote is originally from the SW US and has expanded all over. They're opportunist and will take advantage of every opportunity they get. I saw somewhere that one of the densest population is in Chicago; Ohio State University is doing a research study on them. Just east of me Denison University is doing a study on them and they are not to be killed. Ridiculous if you ask me they need to be trimmed back.

We have coyotes here at my community in north Scottsdale. See them everyday. I can't take Liety for a walk at 5 or 6 am as they will head for us. They don't bother if it is just me. People lose their cats often and small dogs. They can jump a 6 ft fence, no problem. We also have a resident bobcat and havelina. This is not the country, The Bolders resort is across the street. Of course until about 13 years ago they hunted Winfield mountain which is here. Stay alert.
    Field trialer. I have an FC Golden Retriever and running trials Casey and a retired FT black lab Lightning.
    Marie Annette Doherty

I haven't heard about any quail dogs getting taken by yotes around here and you's think that they would be the most vulnerable of the hunting dogs. I had the good fortune of having four different yotes coming to the photo site where I put out trimmings I get from the local game processor for vultures and hawks. This is the third photo contest year that I have baited for the birds and finally, this time I got yotes. I wound up with over 400 images of yotes and was pretty thrilled. Even with me completely concealed in a permanent blind, they were pretty wary and any time I became visible to them they were gone like a scalded cat. Twice I allowed myself to be seen at well over 100yds, and the yotes hightailed it. I will be careful when running my knucklehead out there though. I am really more concerned about Javelinas. They can really tear a dog up.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Spears View Post
    There's a video going around on youtube via FB showing a coyote trying to take a small dog right on the driveway of their house. Just as you're thinking that little dog is done for, here comes a Rottie, who hits that coyote in a cloud of dust and runs it off. If I can find the link I'll add it here. Never underestimate the lowly coyote, they are fearless.

Here it is.

Little late it was posted here last week

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...el-warm-inside
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    Becky the cattle farmers need to get a donkey. We have more trouble here with the Mexican buzzards. Turkey buzzards have red heads and won't attack Mexican buzzards have grey wing tips and will take the eyes out. Sorry for the squeamish here.

I guarantee put a female donkey in the field and no coyote will bother a calfing sp heifer. Definite herd protectors and cheap when you consider the cost of a calf.
    People are putting donkeys in with livestock that could be vulnerable to coyotes around here too. As to the vultures: I have spent something like 30 or 40 hours over the last couple of months watching the various scavenging birds come in to meat that I have put out to allow me to photograph them. There are four species that come to the meat, Turkey Vultures, Black Vultures (the ones you are calling "Mexican buzzards), Caracaras (a type of falcon), and Harris' hawks. It has really been fun watching the interactions. Although the largest bird, the turkey vulture appears to be at the bottom of the pecking order and can usually be chased from a prize by any of the other three, including juveniles. Caracaras and Black vultures are about on par with disputes between them going either way, probably depending on age and experience, but the Harris' hawk is definitely the real tough guy in the group. All the others fight among themselves and with each other, but nobody messes with the Harris' hawk and the hawk can pretty much have whatever piece of meat it wants. It's really funny when something spooks one of the TV as they will jump into the air usually causing such a ruckus that the Black Vultures and Caracaras will spring up too. In response, the Harris' hawks generally pick their heads up from the tidbit du jour, glare around with their steely eyes as if to say "what's all the hubbub, bub?" and then go back to eating.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com