The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Radios... Motorola and Midland compatability

Default Radios... Motorola and Midland compatability

I have a pair of Midland 1050 that I got as a gift. Most of the guys I train with are running Motorolas (Not sure the model) for the most part I can hear them, but they cannot hear me. Are there any options or do I need to buy a Motorola? I think it is a privacy issue but not sure if it is on my end or theirs.

Thanks in advance
    God, Family, Country & LSU Football.

Double check they're not on a channel like 5.2 when you're on 5.0. (For example)

i know you got the Midlands as a gift, but I will NEVER own Midlands again. I received some as a judges gift and they crapped out, so I brought them back to Cabela's and got a replacement set, which also crapped out. Then, my g.f. (who thought I liked those radios for some reason) bought me a brand new set of Midlands as a birthday gift. To date: three sets of Midlands and ONE working radio.
    Last edited by KNorman; 06-09-2013 at 01:35 PM.

We have both brands in our training group and they communicate just fine, each channel has two functions on the Midland, maybe the Motorola too so be sure both are set to 5-0, 5-1, etc, my Midlands are GTX and much better acoustics than the Motorolas

Both are compatible in our group also. Motorola quality isn't nearly what it used to be 10+ years ago but that usually happens with big brands.
    Just Win

I always disliked the Motorolas for their short battery life (the rechargeable batteries). That chirping low battery alarm really bothers me. I decided to buy new and the Motorolas still list 8 hour battery life. I bought the GTX radios on ebay for $20 less than in the store and they've been excellent so far.
    Last edited by John Lash; 06-09-2013 at 08:36 PM.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Check the settings of the midland. There is a setting somewhere that allows you to talk just wthn your radios, evn if you are on he same channel. Sounds like what is happening.

I personally have motorola radios, but that is because I got them cheap on amazon. They work great, and battery life is mot too bad. Just have to make sure I set the channel lock or it will scan channels when batteries are low

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    We have both brands in our training group and they communicate just fine, each channel has two functions on the Midland, maybe the Motorola too so be sure both are set to 5-0, 5-1, etc, my Midlands are GTX and much better acoustics than the Motorolas
    I agree on the midland GXT!

Motorolas all the way. Can buy rebuilt for $60.
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him. Gene Hill

Midland GTX about $65 per pair at Amazon

I recently paid a little extra and bought the Motorola "waterproof" radios. The also have "water resistant" at costco now for $65 i think? They seem to work with all the different brands in the group.