The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: ***GDG--40 Years Ago Today--PERFECTION!!--GDG**

One fabulous horse. Used to ride horses myself so we watched the race, our family. He was the greatest. He never even looses stride.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

I remember watching Secretariat on TV in all 3 of his Triple Crown races, but didn't realize how spectacular his Belmont run was until later. It's still amazing to watch 40 years later. About 20 years ago, I sold a horse farm for the heirs of the deceased owner, who'd been a small time Thoroughbred breeder. They let me have a jockey's bat autographed by Ron Turcotte. I have no idea if it was ever actually used on any horse, much less Secretariat, it was far too clean looking to have been used much if at all. But I never used it when I was riding regularly. However, when I found it about 6 or 7 years ago in a box in my tackroom, I started using it as a heeling stick for the dogs. Just noticed this wk. the autograph is wearing off....maybe I should put it back on display. FYI jockey bats make fabulous heeling sticks and most are gaudy enough they'd be hard to lose.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

I watch the videos of this race on YouTube two or three times a year. There is another video fifteen minutes long that shows all the drama leading up to and after the race.

I was alive and remember the race well. I have studies the history of this race. There is so much I could tell you. The first thing that comes to mind, did you notice how tired the horses were at the finish of the Belmont this weekend? Secretariat was still accelerating past the finish line; he ran the tenth past the finish line in record time.

Also, watch his head along the backstretch, right before he goes into turn three and is just passing Sham. I swear I see him turn his head just a little and look at the track ahead into the turn, and then he begins to dig hard. Incredible horse. Greatest ever.
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    Hey' duk4me,
    Horses for courses.. Then lets include Sea The Stars!!! Never lost a race over 6, 7 furlongs.. A mile mile 1/4. Mile & 1/2 mile & 3/4... So if its various distances & surfaces that makes the best ever!!! Than it must be him!!! I not a great historian but I ask the yanks if they have ever had 1 like this???
    Yes any horse that wins the Arc, argueably sp the most prestigious race in the world, deserves mention.

This isn't a pissing contest merely a celebration of a great moment in American Turf history. Interesting though Sea The Stars pedigree is about as international as it gets. Ireland, Germany, and USA. A great horse. Actually he did lose a race. He was 8 of 9 if I recall correctly.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    This isn't a pissing contest
    Not intended to be! I apologise if you have been offended. I shall exit and leave Y'all to celebrate Nationally.
    ATB.
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    Not intended to be! I apologise if you have been offended. I shall exit and leave Y'all to celebrate Nationally.
    ATB.
    No offense taken. I follow racing on both sides of the pond. The horses you mentioned are truly great.

So I have to ask did you google Black Ruby mule?

Someone involved in the ponies told me that some races in Europe run clock wise.
    He feels it effects injury and longevity.

Is this correct?
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Someone involved in the ponies told me that some races in Europe run clock wise.
    He feels it effects injury and longevity.

Is this correct?
    Virtually all of their races are run clockwise. The overwhelming majority of their races are run on turf. I don't think the direction has anything to do with injury or longevity.

There training methods are completely different than ours. Also, their medication rules are very restrictive compared to our ridiculously lax rules. I think those two factors are the real reason their horses tend to be sounder.

A great horse from a great state! I remember back in elementary school in '73, that the big horse from across the river in Caroline County was the talk of the nation. One of Virginia's finest sons.

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    So I have to ask did you google Black Ruby mule?
    Nah! ..I just asked my brother who knows far more than me
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever