The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: ***GDG--40 Years Ago Today--PERFECTION!!--GDG**

I was 9. I watched it and all of the Triple Crown races when I was a kid. My mom was a big fan even though she has never been to a track.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    Nah! ..I just asked my brother who knows far more than me
    My anal attitude towards horses made me go back and check the facts. You and your brother were close except he lost his first at 7 furlongs after having much trouble.

He was a great horse, definitely top class. I encourage you to google Black Ruby mule. Its a good read. To me her story is similar to dogs. They don't all have to be at the most elite level to be considered great.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

I dont remember his races but do remember watching all of Seattle Slews!
    Secretariat is one of my all time Fav movies. Inspirational.
    Goldens Rule !!!

The greatest of my three most memorabe sports events. I saw the Derby and Belmont live but missedthe Preakness. Nothing can compare to the Belmont. He wasn't a horse. He had to be a "Super Horse", or a horse from the plant Krypton. That or he was a machine. I could not believe what I was seeing. He was faster than a speeding bullit, more powerful than a locomotive. This could not be a mortal horse. I also occasionally go to you tube and watch the race again to see ANY signs of mortality, any sign of weakness. I can see none. When describing that race, "spectacular perfornamce" leaves much to the imagination for it was truely indescribable..

By the was, the US hockey team of 1980(I saw them play the Russians live) and Kirk Gibson's home run against the Athletics in the World Series were the other two most memorable events for me.

Quote Originally Posted by caryalsobrook View Post
    The greatest of my three most memorabe sports events. I saw the Derby and Belmont live but missedthe Preakness. Nothing can compare to the Belmont. He wasn't a horse. He had to be a "Super Horse", or a horse from the plant Krypton. That or he was a machine. I could not believe what I was seeing. He was faster than a speeding bullit, more powerful than a locomotive. This could not be a mortal horse. I also occasionally go to you tube and watch the race again to see ANY signs of mortality, any sign of weakness. I can see none. When describing that race, "spectacular perfornamce" leaves much to the imagination for it was truely indescribable..

By the was, the US hockey team of 1980(I saw them play the Russians live) and Kirk Gibson's home run against the Athletics in the World Series were the other two most memorable events for me.
    Sweet I agree.....

The Triple Crown Trophy is arguably the most difficult trophy to win in all of sportdom. I know a family who owned a triple crown winner back in the late 40's. I have been in the house where the trophies are on display. The first time I saw the trophies was probably about 30 yrs ago. Each of the individual race trophies (which are big shiny things) is displayed on it's own ledge, each in a place of honor. The person with me in the house pointed out each of those trophies but said nothing about the Triple Crown trophy. Finally I asked about the triple crown trophy and she pointed to this angular, three sided silver bowl sitting in the middle of the dining room table with grapes, apples, and bananas in it. Cracked me up. Last time I saw it things had changed a bit. (It's now under glass and sits on motion detectors with who knows what other security measures). ON the other hand, if someone stole it, what could they do with it? There are only eleven of them and anyone that might want it would NEVER be able to tell that they had it.
    Last edited by HPL; 06-12-2013 at 10:31 PM.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    The Triple Crown Trophy is arguably the most difficult trophy to win in all of sportdom. I know a family who owned a triple crown winner back in the late 40's. I have been in the house where the trophies are on display. The first time I saw the trophies was probably about 30 yrs ago. Each of the individual race trophies (which are big silver things) is displayed on it's own ledge, each in a place of honor. The person with me in the house pointed out each of those trophies but said nothing about the Triple Crown trophy. Finally I asked about the triple crown trophy and she pointed to this angular, three sided silver bowl sitting in the middle of the dining room table with grapes, apples, and bananas in it. Cracked me up. Last time I saw it things had changed a bit. (It's now under glass and sits on motion detectors with who knows what other security measures). ON the other hand, if someone stole it, what could they do with it? There are only eleven of them and anyone that might want it would NEVER be able to tell that they had it.
    Come on HPL you have to give me more than that! Who what when where. My envy could be cut with a knife. Four triple crown winners in the 40s I can't stand it. Fill me in.
    Last edited by duk4me; 06-12-2013 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    Come on HPL you have to give me more than that! Who what when where. My envy could be cut with a knife. Four triple crown winners in the 40s I can't stand it. Fill me in.
    You know where I live. You should be able to figure it out. Wonder why there were so many in that decade, how the war may have affected the availability of quality race stock.

Back 30 yrs ago I could actually have taken a piece of fruit out of the triple crown trophy. Still cracks me up!!

Although I have photographed hundreds (perhaps over a thousand) horses in my career, I can't say that I am a big race fan. Unfortunately a few years back I saw two or three races on one of the sporting channels where horses snapped their front legs on the track and that pretty well killed it for me. I'll still watch re-runs of great races, but just don't want to see another horse trying to walk with its front feet flopping.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    You know where I live. You should be able to figure it out. Wonder why there were so many in that decade, how the war may have affected the availability of quality race stock.

Back 30 yrs ago I could actually have taken a piece of fruit out of the triple crown trophy. Still cracks me up!!

Although I have photographed hundreds (perhaps over a thousand) horses in my career, I can't say that I am a big race fan. Unfortunately a few years back I saw two or three races on one of the sporting channels where horses snapped their front legs on the track and that pretty well killed it for me. I'll still watch re-runs of great races, but just don't want to see another horse trying to walk with its front feet flopping.
    Yes it is a horrible thing.......but we've had that discussion before. I will do my research.

I graduated from high school that year.... LOL. Also had just achieved my dream (don't all little girls dream it) of having a horse. Watched all the big races and loved them all, but Secretariat was special. Eventually quit following racing after watching poor Ruffian break down during her match race with Foolish Pleasure. The awful story of Barbaro still haunts me. I still watch the video after a big race, but I just can't watch them live any more, too traumatic.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ