The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Judging Questions

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

Default Judging Questions

Handler calls for marks (all-age stake), and as marks are going down the dog doesn't move its head towards a gun so the handler taps his/her leg to draw the dog to the station? Do you drop the dog/handler? How about a person who drags or stomps his/her feet on the mat to draw the dog to the gun station for the mark? Do you drop the dog/handler?
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

Could I ? Yes
    Do I or have I ? No

For me it usually a warning to handler( don't do it again) and notation on the page of that dog.

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

I've been told in hunt tests it's intimidation. I would be dropped if I did it again.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

The Field Trial Rules state: During the period from the moment when the handler signals readiness for the birds to be thrown until the dog’s number is called, the handler of the working or honoring dog shall remain silent. Also, in all marking tests during such period, the handler’s hands shall remain quietly in close proximity to his body. A handler who projects his hand during such period, whether for the purpose of assisting his dog to locate a fall or otherwise, should be considered to have used a threatening gesture, and his dog penalized accordingly. I could not find the regulation for AKC Hunting Tests--not saying it isn't there, just that I could not find it.
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

Quote Originally Posted by HiRollerlabs View Post
    The Field Trial Rules state: During the period from the moment when the handler signals readiness for the birds to be thrown until the dog’s number is called, the handler of the working or honoring dog shall remain silent. Also, in all marking tests during such period, the handler’s hands shall remain quietly in close proximity to his body. A handler who projects his hand during such period, whether for the purpose of assisting his dog to locate a fall or otherwise, should be considered to have used a threatening gesture, and his dog penalized accordingly. I could not find the regulation for AKC Hunting Tests--not saying it isn't there, just that I could not find it.

Good Question
    My experience is that the foot shuffle, stomp etc is given far more leeway than hand motion

I have seen this in Senior HT, handlers sternly warned for just this. One was dropped. For me it is bending the rules and I do not do it.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

I am in the same boat as Tim. I will warn on a leg pat for sure and hate the foot shuffle! One handler this weekend during the Open I was judging almost dug a hole. My co-judge who has judged a National had no issues with it.
    Mike Peters

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Peters-labguy23 View Post
    I am in the same boat as Tim. I will warn on a leg pat for sure and hate the foot shuffle! One handler this weekend during the Open I was judging almost dug a hole. My co-judge who has judged a National had no issues with it.
    why?..............
    Bill Davis

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

As the rule states the handler SHALL REMAIN SILENT......that's why.
    Mike Peters

It also says the dog shall too, but I don't know too many judges who will knock a dog for being a lil vocal.