The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 48 of 48

Thread: Judging Questions

  1. #41
    Senior Member Gun_Dog2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Mohawk Valley
    Posts
    8,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post

    Nope- just repeating what a search of the AKC judgesdirectory returns.
    Appears to me that the verdict is in regards

    Bubba

    PS- you going to Glide? Stay outta my beer!!!!
    Hell ya I'll be there. I even pulled Scoop out of retirement to run Senior so I could watch a prominent new superstar from RTF run her dog....I have a backup option for a beer source if your truck runs low....

    /Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

    Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

    https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    4,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post

    Nope- just repeating what a search of the AKC judgesdirectory returns.
    Appears to me that the verdict is in regards

    Bubba
    Interesting that you would be looking - someone posted this several years ago - apparently the 5 year rule did not apply in this case - as judging was not real high on my list of things to do, AKC was not called, but I think that someone who spent some time in an orange suit had something to do with the deletion - as I told a more famous folk than you or I, "I spent my life making instant decisions for the most part, listening to someone complain (though rarely) about what minor thing they thought had been missed to gain a supposed advantage was not high on any list".
    __________________________

    Marvin S

    Everyone's friend is No One's friend

    Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

  3. #43
    Senior Member Jennifer Henion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Far Northern California
    Posts
    1,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    Hell ya I'll be there. I even pulled Scoop out of retirement to run Senior so I could watch a prominent new superstar from RTF run her dog....I have a backup option for a beer source if your truck runs low....

    /Paul
    We're not ready...I just like sticking my head into bear caves to "see what happens". But I WILL have a cooler full of beer and perhaps a flask of Pendleton 1910 to make it all better after the mauling. If you're nice, I will share.

  4. #44
    Senior Member BBnumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fountain, CO
    Posts
    867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HiRollerlabs View Post
    The Field Trial Rules state: During the period from the moment when the handler signals readiness for the birds to be thrown until the dog’s number is called, the handler of the working or honoring dog shall remain silent. Also, in all marking tests during such period, the handler’s hands shall remain quietly in close proximity to his body. A handler who projects his hand during such period, whether for the purpose of assisting his dog to locate a fall or otherwise, should be considered to have used a threatening gesture, and his dog penalized accordingly. I could not find the regulation for AKC Hunting Tests--not saying it isn't there, just that I could not find it.
    As this topic has been discussed many times on this forum, I have reread this section many times, trying to figure exactly what the original writers intended by it.

    The first part "shall remain silent", could be interpreted to mean "make no sound, whatsoever", "give no verbal commands", or "not speak" among other things. The first definition would disallow tapping your leg (if it made noise), or shuffling or dragging your feet (if it made noise), the second and third definitions do not disallow either behavior.

    The second part "hands shall remain quietly in close proximity to his body" could mean "hands remain stationary near the body, making no motion or sound", or "hands remain near the body making no Loud noises", or something else. The second definition does not preclude quiet tapping of the leg. Neither definition addresses shuffling or dragging your feet.

    The third part "projects his hand during such period, whether for the purpose of assisting his dog to locate a fall or otherwise" seems to specifically disallow putting the hand out away from the body to influence the dog, and does not really pertain to either tapping your leg, or shuffling or dragging your feet
    -=#David

    Well, this started off as a really interesting thread. Too bad we couldn't keep it that way. (Rick_C 2009, Classic RTF)
    __________________________________________________ _
    Take what you get and thank them (the Judges) afterwards no matter what the outcome. (Moira Sheehan)

  5. #45
    Senior Member John Robinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bigfork, Montana
    Posts
    3,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBnumber1 View Post
    As this topic has been discussed many times on this forum, I have reread this section many times, trying to figure exactly what the original writers intended by it.

    The first part "shall remain silent", could be interpreted to mean "make no sound, whatsoever", "give no verbal commands", or "not speak" among other things. The first definition would disallow tapping your leg (if it made noise), or shuffling or dragging your feet (if it made noise), the second and third definitions do not disallow either behavior.

    The second part "hands shall remain quietly in close proximity to his body" could mean "hands remain stationary near the body, making no motion or sound", or "hands remain near the body making no Loud noises", or something else. The second definition does not preclude quiet tapping of the leg. Neither definition addresses shuffling or dragging your feet.

    The third part "projects his hand during such period, whether for the purpose of assisting his dog to locate a fall or otherwise" seems to specifically disallow putting the hand out away from the body to influence the dog, and does not really pertain to either tapping your leg, or shuffling or dragging your feet
    I've often thought that interpreting our AKC rules was very similar in what goes on with the Constitution. I don't want to go POTUS, but just take the second amendment, which seems pretty straight forward to me, has that little opening where it muddies the amendment by mentioning militias. That leaves wiggle room for anti gun people to make a case that it is about militias, not individuals, then what is a militia, and on and on. In our case, I kind of like the fact that the rules leave room for judges to use their own judgment, how about that. Then every once in a while you get someone with poor judgment that gets over creative with a test and it puts us all in an uproar to clarify the rule, use more ironclad language. I think the better approach is to leave the flexibility there for good judges and either weed out bad judges, or through forums like this, turn them into good judges.

    John

  6. #46
    Senior Member Gun_Dog2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Mohawk Valley
    Posts
    8,622

    Default

    HT Rule Book

    Page 27 The handler of the working dog shall remain silent
    from the time handler signals for the first bird to be
    thrown until the Judges release the dog.
    The handler of the honoring dog may speak quietly to
    the honoring dog provided the handler does not interfere
    with other handlers, the working dog(s) or the Judges.

    Note: While speaking quietly to the honoring dog is
    allowed, threatening gestures or any form of intimidation
    is not acceptable and shall not be allowed by the Judges.
    Page 58 2. Talking to the working dog – the handler must remain
    silent from the time the handler signals for the first bird to be
    thrown until the judges release the dog.
    Page 24 No handler shall carry
    any exposed training equipment (except whistle) or use
    any other equipment or threatening gestures in such a
    manner that they may be an aid or threat in steadying or
    controlling a dog. Violation of this paragraph is sufficient
    to cause the dog not to receive a Qualifying score.
    Page 59 Threatening Gestures - or any form of intimidation made to the dog.
    /Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

    Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

    https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

  7. #47
    Senior Member Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brookings, South Dakota
    Posts
    6,585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HandyMan1 View Post
    I've judged quite a few. I don't worry too much about it. Over the years, I have figured that most likely the dog that does not watch the birds go down, will show out in the field.
    I also look at it as I am not going to get ticky tacky about the line. It usually works itself out.
    I am sure you've also seen a few that don't need to see the marks go down. Once they see where the gun stations are at they know where they're going.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

    Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

  8. #48
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Buzz,

    Seen that also.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •