The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Judging Questions

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

Noise was also noted on my sheets this weekend and had it been close the quiet dog and handler would have got the nod from me.
    Mike Peters

Quote Originally Posted by yellow machine View Post
    I have seen this in Senior HT, handlers sternly warned for just this. One was dropped. For me it is bending the rules and I do not do it.
    In a SR AKC test, the handlers hands should be firmly gripping a gun ( or replica gun ) and shouldering it while the birds are going down. He should not be tapping a leg and could be dropped for improper use of the gun. I would give a warning 1 time and drop for a second.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Peters-labguy23 View Post
    As the rule states the handler SHALL REMAIN SILENT......that's why.
    Was he talking out of his foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Was he talking out of his foot.
    Classic!!!
    Bill Davis

So how does slightly moving your feet make noise? That question is not intended to sound sarcastic. I'm real curious.

Quote Originally Posted by coachmo View Post
    So how does slightly moving your feet make noise? That question is not intended to sound sarcastic. I'm real curious.
    It doesn't. However scraping your foot along with the leg movement is an old trick designed to get the dog to either stay there are turn. I've seen people scrape their foot a dozen times throwing gravel on the judges in the process. You don't want to know what happens in training to get the dog to know what that leg/scraping means.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Thanks! That makes sense.

Saw a guy get dropped Memorial Day weekend for tappinghis leg while the birds were dropping.
    Offered without comment regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Some judges judge the dog work. Some get hung up on insignificant minor details... If it is a problem address it. If not, ignore it.

I once had a dog that was an extremely close heeler. By that I mean he was practically pushing me around half the time and he weighed over 90 lbs. Had this particular judge who shall remain nameless, but he used to live in Alaska. He claimed I was pushing my dog with my leg while the birds were going down and threw me out. I just started laughing. First of all, the birds went down left to right. The dog was on my left. Why would I push him at all? Wouldn't I have jumped over to the other side if I was going to push him? Second, the dog just heeled really tight... Anyone that knows dogs could see what the dog was doing. I never moved towards the dog one inch.

This judge just spent a lot of time focusing on little petty stuff that had absolutely nothing to do with what was going on with the marks and blinds.

I don't want handlers doing the Foxtrot on the line... But who cares if they drag their foot to help their dog out a little. That's good handling... Beats the hell out of standing there like a doofus and watching the bird fall with your dog looking the other way.

Again, keep it in perspective. If its a problem address it. If not, focus on the dog work.

(I'm only talking about Field Trials)
    Bill Davis

To me a finger snap or leg pat or foot stomp is the same as turning towards the mark and saying "here"