The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Judging Questions

There was a judge at a trial that told Clint "...you were tap dancing with your dog (Mirk) on the line..." he was shocked because he doesnt use that method of shuffling his feet to turn a dog...one of his long time friends in the gallery told him "...welcome back to the field trial game,that's how they call them now.."
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

Quote Originally Posted by HiRollerlabs View Post
    The Field Trial Rules state: During the period from the moment when the handler signals readiness for the birds to be thrown until the dog’s number is called, the handler of the working or honoring dog shall remain silent. Also, in all marking tests during such period, the handler’s hands shall remain quietly in close proximity to his body. A handler who projects his hand during such period, whether for the purpose of assisting his dog to locate a fall or otherwise, should be considered to have used a threatening gesture, and his dog penalized accordingly. I could not find the regulation for AKC Hunting Tests--not saying it isn't there, just that I could not find it.
    I have seen many handlers drag their feet to move the dog's attention and to my knowledge, no one has been dropped for it. HANDS---However, the rules do state that the handler's hands "shall" remain quietly, and goes on to say that use of hands "should be" considered a threatening gesture. I have noted two times recently where a handler tapped his/her leg to draw the dog's attention and the dog's head moved in the direction to see the mark--at two different trials and two different handlers. I believe in both instances, the dogs would have stay focused on the flyer station and would not have looked towards the dead bird mark. Both handlers/dogs were carried to the next series, and I did not hear any warnings from the judges. I was waiting to run. (Sorry, but my return key doesn't seem to work on RTF so my posts get run together. )
    Last edited by HiRollerlabs; 06-10-2013 at 05:14 PM.
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

It's kinda like Bending over the dog, hands to your side watching the dog's eyes what I do at a trial never called on it, intimidation I dunno. Standing facing a dog's heel side , left or right, maybe back to the judges not blocking the view of the birds coming down with hands clasped together. Putting a dog on a down position on the honor. On and on, if the technocrats would just judge dogs and not make judgement calls or beat someone over the head with the Rules/Reg the dog work is what it's
    all about. Scraping the foot is kind of Mickey mouse, but, if a handler does it, is it just good handling or ? Judged lots, never threw anyone out for the Chicken S--t stuff. Let the dogs put themselves out or give a warning if you think it is that important. Same goes for dog and handler send from the mat, one foot has to be on the mat as you handle, geeze. If the dog creeps reheel your dog sir or mam, if a dog lines or two whistles a difficult blind and steps off the mat, you gonna throw them out. Kids games like touching goal or musical chairs. My thoughts on it.
    Earl Dillow

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

The foot drag I saw this weekend made plenty of noise which is not silent. Anything making noise would not be silent.

Again I would not drop a dog for the foot drag it is just a pet peeve of mine. Patting your leg.....you might get a warning. Why should some people be allowed to do it and others don't because of the rule book saying they must stay silent?
    Mike Peters

Quote Originally Posted by HiRollerlabs View Post
    I have seen many handlers drag their feet to move the dog's attention and to my knowledge, no one has been dropped for it. HANDS---However, the rules do state that the handler's hands "shall" remain quietly, and goes on to say that use of hands "should be" considered a threatening gesture. I have noted two times recently where a handler tapped his/her leg to draw the dog's attention and the dog's head moved in the direction to see the mark--at two different trials and two different handlers. I believe in both instances, the dogs would have stay focused on the flyer station and would not have looked towards the dead bird mark. Both handlers/dogs were carried to the next series, and I did not hear any warnings from the judges. I was waiting to run. (Sorry, but my return key doesn't seem to work on RTF so my posts get run together. )
    I think that if the tap is very subtle it probably goes unnoticed, I have done it unconsciously 2 or 3 times in my many years of competition, dropped once on a water quad in Utah 30 years ago. I find the subtle leg tap much less offensive than the 48 inch foot drag and if I can tolerate the foot drag I can certainly tolerate the SUBTLE thigh tap

As a judge, I generally tell the handlers I don't like the foot shuffle, pushing the dog around, etc & remind them they are to stand silently beside their dog once they call for the birds. I don't think I have ever thrown anyone out for any of the above. I have warned some handlers but in general, since I make the statement before the 1st series handlers know what to expect. For marks I generally want the handler on the mat for all sends & for the dog to be on the mat on all blinds. I don't generally have the handler recall his dog if it creeps. I figure that if a handler lets his dog creep without recalling the dog, it's his problem. I don't like to restrict a handler's lateral movement to handle a dog or even forward or backward movement once a dog makes a defined amount of progress. I want handlers to be able to see their dogs to the greatest extent the grounds allow. I wouldn't say what happens at the line is completely unimportant but not near as important as what happens once the dog is released.
    David Didier, GA

Why is anyone as a judge talking to a contestant? You are there to judge the abilities of a dog & handler, not conduct a seminar.

The reason you note the chicken $&*# stuff is to evaluate your abilities as a test setter. If you have to use it to determine placements your tests were too easy .

IMO

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Why is anyone as a judge talking to a contestant? You are there to judge the abilities of a dog & handler, not conduct a seminar.

The reason you note the chicken $&*# stuff is to evaluate your abilities as a test setter. If you have to use it to determine placements your tests were too easy .

IMO
    So you are not concerned about the rule book? If the handler talks is that also ok in your book? I take a lot of notes, most of the time they don't come into play. I have been warned to not tap my leg, I didn't know I had even done it and I don't think it was chicken **** either of the judge to warn me. I was thankfull he didn't send me home for breaking a rule. It has nothing to do with judging the handler either. It is a rule plain and simple.
    Mike Peters

Searchable Judges Directory
    Error
    We were unable to find any judges that matched your search criteria. Please broaden your search and try again.

Offered without comment regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    It's kinda like Bending over the dog, hands to your side watching the dog's eyes what I do at a trial never called on it, intimidation I dunno. Standing facing a dog's heel side , left or right, maybe back to the judges not blocking the view of the birds coming down with hands clasped together. Putting a dog on a down position on the honor. On and on, if the technocrats would just judge dogs and not make judgement calls or beat someone over the head with the Rules/Reg the dog work is what it's
    all about. Scraping the foot is kind of Mickey mouse, but, if a handler does it, is it just good handling or ? Judged lots, never threw anyone out for the Chicken S--t stuff. Let the dogs put themselves out or give a warning if you think it is that important. Same goes for dog and handler send from the mat, one foot has to be on the mat as you handle, geeze. If the dog creeps reheel your dog sir or mam, if a dog lines or two whistles a difficult blind and steps off the mat, you gonna throw them out. Kids games like touching goal or musical chairs. My thoughts on it.
    I Like this^^^^^^..... Common sense is so not common.

Some folks just like to pick the fly sh!t out of the pepper
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA