The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Judging Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Rnd View Post
    I Like this^^^^^^..... Common sense is so not common.

Some folks just like to pick the fly sh!t out of the pepper
    Agreed........
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Searchable Judges Directory
    Error
    We were unable to find any judges that matched your search criteria. Please broaden your search and try again.

Offered without comment regards

Bubba

Bubba, you are about 5 or 6 years behind the power curve on your search of Marvin's site. But, you probably knew that.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Peters-labguy23 View Post
    So you are not concerned about the rule book? If the handler talks is that also ok in your book? I take a lot of notes, most of the time they don't come into play. I have been warned to not tap my leg, I didn't know I had even done it and I don't think it was chicken **** either of the judge to warn me. I was thankfull he didn't send me home for breaking a rule. It has nothing to do with judging the handler either. It is a rule plain and simple.
    I believe what was said was clear. You are not there to conduct a seminar. & from what was posted it was evident that some dogs had been the victims of folks who were at the best, unknowledgeable.

Error
    We were unable to find any judges that matched your search criteria. Please broaden your search and try again.

Bubba
    The sport is getting there - those experienced with "dogs in the field" willing to put up with the sport as it has become are becoming less & less.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    I believe what was said was clear. You are not there to conduct a seminar. & from what was posted it was evident that some dogs had been the victims of folks who were at the best, unknowledgeable.

The sport is getting there - those experienced with "dogs in the field" willing to put up with the sport as it has become are becoming less & less.
    HAAAAAAA! I heard that same statement 35 yrs ago!!!!!
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

I've judged quite a few. I don't worry too much about it. Over the years, I have figured that most likely the dog that does not watch the birds go down, will show out in the field.
    I also look at it as I am not going to get ticky tacky about the line. It usually works itself out. When I am calling for the birds, I do not change the timing. I do this for every dog. If the handler is busy trying to get the dog to the next mark, they usually miss it all together. On the other side of the coin, the dog goes out and sticks the birds. On to the next series.

There are subtle infractions that merit a comment and there blatant infractions that merit elimination. The "knowledgeable" judge recognizes the infraction and judges it for what it is. The "experienced" judge remembers this is a gentlemens sport and comments accordingly.

JMO

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

Error

Bubba
    I get the feeling you're trying to comment regards...

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Some judges judge the dog work. Some get hung up on insignificant minor details... If it is a problem address it. If not, ignore it.

I once had a dog that was an extremely close heeler. By that I mean he was practically pushing me around half the time and he weighed over 90 lbs. Had this particular judge who shall remain nameless, but he used to live in Alaska. He claimed I was pushing my dog with my leg while the birds were going down and threw me out. I just started laughing. First of all, the birds went down left to right. The dog was on my left. Why would I push him at all? Wouldn't I have jumped over to the other side if I was going to push him? Second, the dog just heeled really tight... Anyone that knows dogs could see what the dog was doing. I never moved towards the dog one inch.
    This judge just spent a lot of time focusing on little petty stuff that had absolutely nothing to do with what was going on with the marks and blinds.

I don't want handlers doing the Foxtrot on the line... But who cares if they drag their foot to help their dog out a little. That's good handling... Beats the hell out of standing there like a doofus and watching the bird fall with your dog looking the other way.

Again, keep it in perspective. If its a problem address it. If not, focus on the dog work.

(I'm only talking about Field Trials)
    I have the exact same dog, he heels so tight he pushes up against my leg, I have to be careful about how I approach the line. I once ran a Qual, same situation as you, memory birds on the left with the flyer go bird on the right, my dog was so focused on the memory bird I had to do the shuffle to clue the dog in there was another bird (flyer) that he needed to watch. After he did a good job the judges approached me and said I kicked my dog. I don't know if I was dropped for kicking my dog, but I wasn't called back.

Re: The shuffle, as a new judge I remember wondering about why the shuffle was considered a smart, general accepted handling technique, while any tapping of the thigh, snapping of fingers or speaking to your dog was dealt with by either a warning or being dropped. After much thought and talking with old judges I respected, I just accepted the seeming contradiction as a traditionally accepted evolution of the sport. In the real world of judging I have noticed that the dog that responds to a quiet, subtle drag back of the off foot, is a good team player and more likely to succeed, while the guy who is going berserk pawing the ground like a wild bull isn't going to get his dog's attention no matter what, so it all works out in the wash anyway.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    I get the feeling you'retrying to comment regards...

/Paul

Nope- just repeating what a search of the AKC judgesdirectory returns.
    Appears to me that the verdict is in regards

Bubba

PS- you going to Glide? Stay outta my beer!!!!
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    HAAAAAAA! I heard that same statement 35 yrs ago!!!!!
    You would be correct in that there was an issue at that time, though not of the magnitude of today. The band aid approach to correcting the judging issue has only made it less acceptable. But the RAC continues down that path, ever wonder why?

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!