The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Service dog litter born a couple of days ago...

Thumbs up Service dog litter born a couple of days ago...

Just thought I'd share:
    I donated a breeding to Warrior-Canine Connection (http://warriorcanineconnection.org/), in Maryland, a 501c3 nonprofit organization that trains and provides service dogs for our veterans. We originally planned for a litter this past year, but Superstorm Sandy resulted in a delayed shipment (held up in Indianapolis) from CA to MD, so they went with a back-up stud dog. This time, there was also a delay, as the FedEx plane carrying our shipment had problems. However, it arrived, and their yellow labrador girl Olive whelped a beautiful litter of 9 black and yellow puppies the night before last, sired by our Rogue. These little guys are little miracles for many people.

Here is the link for the live puppy cam for those who are interested:
    http://explore.org/#!/live-cams/play...ce-puppy-cam-2

Enjoy! They don't do much other than sleep and eat at this stage, but they're still cute and Olive is a wonderful mama!
    -Julie, Monty (2005 YLM), Rogue (2009 BLM), and Eddy (2013 BLM)

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Anon

LIFE IS GOOD. "Do what you like, like what you do."

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

Interesting. Right here in Maryland and I hadn't heard anything about the organization.
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator
    http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

Thank you for your donation. As a Vet with friends who are in that position , mobility issues and severe PTSD, I know how much that human-animal bond helps with everything. It's half the reason I bought my dog, to help make the rough days a little easier.

Senior Member RailRoadRetrievers's Avatar

That's freaking awesome

Thank you doesn't seem adequate. What a great thing you are doing.

Very cool and an awesome gift of giving! Hope you'll share their progress with us!
    Denise Jepson
    Centerfield Retrievers

Five Star Fielders Choice MH
    Centerfields My-Oh-My SH
    Centerfields Waterfowl Wizard

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference! -Winston Churchill
    There's those that just TALK about doin' it and those that just DO IT!

Great that you could contribute to such a worthy cause, and the pup cam is awesome! Looks like someone rang the lunch bell (except for that one on the front that zonked out while feeding).
    Ron
    www.portlandlabrador.com
    A Lab has no appreciation for the artistic value of a bonsai tree, but does appreciate their potential as chew toys.

What an awesome gesture!

Richard
    SHOOT EM' IN THE LIPS..........

HRCH Otter Sloughs Bronze Gander " Gander"
    Docheno's Raising A Ruckus "Ruckus"

www.ducksloughkennel.com

Romans 8:28

Thank-you for such a generous donation!

I am a disabled veteran who considers my dog a therapy dog. She gave me the motivation to learn something new and kept me moving with a disease that makes both learning and moving very difficult.
    Paula

HR Dixie's Southern Comfort IV, MH

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is it will not be needed until they try to take it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Vicky Trainor View Post
    Interesting. Right here in Maryland and I hadn't heard anything about the organization.
    They're a wonderful organization and while I haven't visited personally, I know someone who donated a dog for breeding a few years back who visits regularly and raves about their facilities and organization. They do full clearances on their breeding dogs, do pretty thorough temperament screening on their potential stud dogs and so forth, and since starting to work with them, I hear more and more things about them and the wonderful things they do for our veterans. They appear to be one of the more well-known service dog organizations who produces specifically for our veterans. I know the pedigree of this girl and most of their dogs quite well and many breeders would be proud to have these dogs in their programs.

I also donate breedings for Guide Dogs of America who is another 501c3 organization where I worked as staff doctor for 4.5 years so I know the ins and outs and wholeheartedly believe in their program and the seeing eye dogs they produce as well.

I wish more people with healthy dogs of sound temperaments would consider donating breedings to some of these reputable non-profit organizations who help out our fellow humans. There *are* some somewhat sketchy groups out there where I wouldn't do this for, but there are so many who do such great things for people.... And seriously, if they're paying vet costs (this one due to timing was a surgical AI), shipping, boxes/extenders etc anyhow, all we have to do as stud dog owners is collect and prepare semen and ship it out and possibly give them the opportunity for a nice litter of really healthy service dog puppies with perfect temperaments.
    -Julie, Monty (2005 YLM), Rogue (2009 BLM), and Eddy (2013 BLM)

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Anon

LIFE IS GOOD. "Do what you like, like what you do."