The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: old fall setups

didnt get to run yesterday as i was welcomed home by a fussy 5 month old baby so i stayed and helped the wife.

what do yall think of the dirt clod drill? in particular dodd's practice of it. i was prescribed this by someone and just want to know if dobb's method is the better one? seems to be that converging and hip pockets seem to test the dog's willingness to switch more so than others.

http://www.dobbsdogs.com/library/retrievers/rj26.html

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    radios were dead

shorten overall distance of marks? or throws? throws were 15-20 yards from BB

we were using ducks but point taken. to me in our daily training with bumpers its harder to mark even the white bumpers because they are small in comparison to ducks

singles have been what we throw all week. on weekend training with a group i usually allow this for memory setups. in a week he probably gets 20-25 singles and 5 doubles

point taken. i would consider us in the mid-late levels of transition.
    Part of the communication process! Need to be in contact with each other for successful teaching of the pup!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

went with the dirt clod drill today. unfortunately no dirt clods in sight so i had a backup plan to turn 180* and run a blind as a diversion. so it was memory mark (winger) at 85 yards left to right and go bird (BIrd boy) at 45 right to left throwing converging marks. seperation widtth wise from dummies was 15 yards (length wise obviously 35). the blind allowed BB to pick up mark without dog seeing him. then turn around around and run go bird. i explained to him the drill and said dont watch the dog watch me. when i give you the signal that means he's switching so im about to stop him and bring him back to you so toss it back out then im going to stop and handle back into go bird fall. of course what did he do? watch the dog by the time he saw the signal i had to stop the dog or the memory mark would of been picked up. so i handled back to old fall (birdless) and said to myself lets see if he'll switch again. 2 mins later he switched and i signaled BB he tossed it out and i stopped/nick/handled back to go bird where he retrieved it. didnt allow dog to pick up memory mark.

i didnt work any other marking setups and went into some blinds and worked more on silent casts

thoughts?

also i know should of had radios. but we were 40 yards away. and i dont own radios everyone i train with does so i rely on them

I don't like to over do the dirt clod drill. One a week for a couple of weeks might be all you need.

After doing one, I like another marking set up immediately. One that I think the dog can do without any problems. If there are problems anyway, repeat as singles. I like to have the dog successful on marks after a learning experience and correction. I really don't know if it's necessary or not but it makes sense to me for keeping the dog's attitude up.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

I agree with Howard

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

thanks for the replies. i'll try that next time. i was just going off what was in this thread:

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...20clod%20drill

and this quote from Evan:

Don’t re-run it. Put him up and go run something non-mark related. Come back tomorrow and run another Dirt Clod Drill in another spot, and change the configuration slightly to have a different look for the dog.

I thought i might run it again today but doing hip pockets instead of converging marks i'll judge the dogs attitude after doing some ABC drills/singles

How often do you repeat marks or blinds? Not questioning anyone's training regimen because it works very well for many. Repeats are not a part of my training regimen because in my mind it tells the dog it is ok to return to an old fall.
    Mark Land

no repeats on multiple marks.

singles i repeat IF:

A) the dog avoids a factor leading to a poor mark/line
    AND
    B) i cant encounter that factor anywhere else (levies, multiple water reintries, hay bales, etc)

blinds only repeats are the know 3 legged diversion blinds on a seperate piece of training ground where only those are run.

no repeats on multiple marks.
    So you allow a dog to cheat or do you handle on multiples? I like to handle and repeat. But, I'm a repeater and really wouldn't know how to train if I didn't repeat.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

First let me preface this by saying in the world of all age dogs I have no "pelts" on my wall. I do train very similar to Blake in that repeats are very rare. If I encounter a deviation from the line from any factor, I stop working on that particular setup & try to isolate the factor. Then run 3 peats addressing the issue, handling as needed. If it was an issue that occurred on a multiple then I will add it into a setup on another day. In my mind this is consistent with the Lardy program & makes sense to me.

Many of my training group repeat marks & blinds ad nauseum & it works for their dogs. Simply not how I train.
    Mark Land