The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Standard Club Protocol for Getting Ribbons to Handlers?

Quote Originally Posted by Miriam Wade View Post
    I've only been a HT Secty once, but did mail any absentee owner's ribbons to them. I submitted the cost in my expense report and was reimbursed by the club.
    Same here. But that was twenty years ago when I did the HT Secty thing. Reading all the replies it seems things have changed.
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

I have heard at the presentations that ribbons will be mail for a set fee. $5 is the fee I have heard twice. Do I recall a premium with that listed also? Howard N has the right idea methinks.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

no beef with me if at another stake. but when you see the exit ,stage left time after time regards......
    SEMPER FI . FROM MY COLD , DEAD HANDS .

www.bashakilllabradors.com

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    Perhaps the participant is at another stake ...I think that the club Secretary should send the ribbons .... Or maybe have EE do it

john
    We have a headquaters set up, as do most around here. If you don't get a ribbon with us it is because you 1) hauled azz before the judges signed their books, 2) you didn't ask since all our officals carry a radio and we can find whoever you need to see to get your ribbon. If your time is too valuable to expend a little effort and a few mins time to get your ribbon then I am sure you will have noroblem paying the club to mail it to you. Every penny from an event is needed and sending out ribbons at a cost of at least $3 in postage plus and envelope that will safely mail a ribbon without dammage is in no way beneficial to the bottom line. $5 to have your ribbon mailed is less then cost if you factor time into the picture.
    IF you have an emergency that is a different story, but that is seldom the reason.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Our club lists in the premium:
    If you are not able to stay, it is your responsibility to appoint someone to pick up your ribbon or give the Marshal a self-addressed stamped envelope to have the ribbon mailed to you.
    I have been at other stakes or working when ribbons were handed out and have ALWAYS been able to get them from a marshal or secretary before leaving. I agree that if you didn't leave with your ribbon then it's on you and not the club.
    Denise Jepson
    ​Centerfield Retrievers

Five Star Fielders Choice MH
    Centerfields My-Oh-My SH
    Centerfields Waterfowl Wizard

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference! -Winston Churchill
    There's those that just TALK about doin' it and those that just DO IT!

Our club secretary used to mail ribbons out to those who did not receive them, but it started to get too expensive, costing $40+ each event to send these ribbons out, plus her time to get the envelopes, go to the post office and stand in line, etc.

We just recently instituted a policy that requires any handler who does not receive ribbon at the awards ceremony, can either have someone else pick it up, see us prior to closing (in the event they were at another stake), or leave a self address stamped envelope with the secretary (or event chair) prior to leaving, and then we would mail them out.

It is my belief that if someone is not willing to wait around to receive the ribbon, then it really is not that important to them. Unfortunately, at the same time, I have had to wait 2 hours to receive my ribbon after a hunt test was over. Needless to say, that was not fun and I wanted to leave, but the ribbon was too important to me so I stayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Miriam Wade View Post
    I've only been a HT Secty once, but did mail any absentee owner's ribbons to them. I submitted the cost in my expense report and was reimbursed by the club.

Going to miss my club's HT this weekend and am seriously bummed.

M
    Isn't your club Shoreline? Their current premium states they require you give the marshal a self addressed envelope and $5.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    My feelings are if the handler doesn't feel it's important enough to stick around for the ribbons, then it's not important enough for me to take my time to buy an envelope, look up his address and address the envelope, go to the post office, find out what the postage is and pay for it. It'd be different if they left a stamped self addressed envelope.

The event secretary has enough to do without becoming contestant's personal servant because he didn't want to pick up a ribbon.
    Thank you, Howard! Very well said. One of the clubs for whom I am FT and HT Secretary voted to stop mailing ribbons because it got out of hand. The club now states in their premium on EE that ribbons will not be mailed. At the last HT, only one ribbon & duck band was not picked up. They did not get mailed.

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    Perhaps the participant is at another stake ...I think that the club Secretary should send the ribbons .... Or maybe have EE do it

john
    John,
    EE does not mail ribbons. The club has the ribbons and duck bands if they give out duck bands at their hunt tests. The club has the ribbons for their field trial. When someone does not stay for the awards to get their ribbon, it used to be my job to mail them the ribbon. That meant the club had to buy large envelopes and I had to keep them in stock, I had to address them and take them to the post office and stand in line to mail them. It simply got out of hand when folks knew they could leave early and that "the club" would get their ribbon to them. When I said somebody else in the club could take over that job, the club voted not to mail ribbons anymore.
    Last edited by helencalif; 06-12-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    Isn't your club Shoreline? Their current premium states they require you give the marshal a self addressed envelope and $5.
    That wasn't the case when I was secretary. I honestly didn't mind mailing ribbons or anything else associated with the job. I see everyone's point and I've always waited for ribbons, but some folks have a great distance to drive and it's a very small thing to mail a ribbon.

It's like marshalling-treat people the way you want to be treated. I marshalled a test years ago where I had folks with very long drives who worked when I needed them and stayed when I told them to go. As opposed to those who wouldn't lift a finger. This is a a sport where we are dependent upon volunteers and you should take on any job and give 110%. You're either a participant or a spectator and in my opinion everyone should participate.

Hypocritically, I can't attend Shoreline's HT this weekend and it bothers me that I am not putting my money where my mouth is.

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you canít take it backÖ"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)