The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Standard Club Protocol for Getting Ribbons to Handlers?

My home clubs - 2 AKC and 1 HRC - don't charge for mailing ribbons. Any HT events I have gone to have been happy to mail them free of charge and I have recieved many that way - whether I left early to get home due to a long drive or just wasn't around at the time of award. Only one (Field Trial) club has asked me to pay for the cost of mailing when I was sick and left early after running my dog in the 4th series. I am likely to not frequent that clubs events again, just saying.

penny pinching regards
    "Too late smart, too soon old" - Now I finally get it Grandpa

Dennis Long
    HRCH SHDW MTN Aces and Eights Toby MH "Toby"
    HRCH Barton Creek's Winner Take All MH "Rio"
    Ranger 1997 - 2012
    Ragin' Charge of the Light Brigade "Cannon"

I'm in the group that thinks if the ribbon isn't important enough to you to make arrangements to get it then it shouldn't fall on the club and an otherwise already overworked secretary to have to run around and get mailing materials and mail them out. If I'm bugging out early at a test with a 6+ hour drive home I leave a priority mailing box already folded, stamped and addressed with the test secretary (not the marshall unless I can't find the secretary) and all he/she has to do is put the ribbon in the box and drop it in a mail box. I've always been thanked for not being a pia and always gotten my ribbon the following week.
    Larry Housman
    GMHR-I Nils Lofgren's Moontears 1995-2010
    GMHR-II Silverbrook Gunar's Yellow Merkin MH 2001-2014
    GMHRCH-IV Silverbrook's Life of Brian MH CC
    NPRC's Basking in the Glow of Good Enough

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Housman View Post
    I'm in the group that thinks if the ribbon isn't important enough to you to make arrangements to get it then it shouldn't fall on the club and an otherwise already overworked secretary to have to run around and get mailing materials and mail them out. If I'm bugging out early at a test with a 6+ hour drive home I leave a priority mailing box already folded, stamped and addressed with the test secretary (not the marshall unless I can't find the secretary) and all he/she has to do is put the ribbon in the box and drop it in a mail box. I've always been thanked for not being a pia and always gotten my ribbon the following week.
    Hey Larry-

You are one of the people I have always looked forward to seeing at a test and the few times we'ved trained together. I don't disagree with what you've said and applaud you for making things easy for the secty, but I stand by feeling as though it's not that big of a deal to take 5 minutes out of your day to mail a ribbon to someone who couldn't wait for whatever reason.

Sorry to see Nils (as is Kate) is gone and hope you get to meet Finn one day. Say Hello to the Missus!!

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you canít take it backÖ"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by helencalif View Post
    John,
    EE does not mail ribbons. The club has the ribbons and duck bands if they give out duck bands at their hunt tests. The club has the ribbons for their field trial. When someone does not stay for the awards to get their ribbon, it used to be my job to mail them the ribbon. That meant the club had to buy large envelopes and I had to keep them in stock, I had to address them and take them to the post office and stand in line to mail them. It simply got out of hand when folks knew they could leave early and that "the club" would get their ribbon to them. When I said somebody else in the club could take over that job, the club voted not to mail ribbons anymore.
    Of course they don't , I was facetiously alluding to the time gone by before EE, when the HT/FT secretary's job was A LOT MORE time consuming than it is now.

First off let me say that I have never not been sent a ribbon if I for some reason did not pick it up. That said I have no problem paying the $ , it's the mechanics of the payment that eludes me.

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, the club that expects me to wait hours for the awards ceremony, or take time out from taking care of up to a truck load of dogs in preperation for a long ride home... so that those in charge of doing the after event paperwork can delete doing what I consider to be a very small part of their job, may not have to worry about sending me anything in the future including a premimum/entry form.

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 06-12-2013 at 07:40 PM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

It has been a while (maybe 3-4 years) but my experience has been that they charge $5 up front. If you don't get a ribbon then you are out $5. I've been perfectly happy to take them up on that a few times when I really needed to get on the road back home for one reason or another. The club probably makes a small profit and nobody forced me to pay it so...who could have a problem with that?
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

If someone gets a ribbon at our test and has to leave, unless other arrangements have been made, the ribbon gets mailed to them along w/ their point slip, if they've "titled" at our clubs test, I send them a congratulations note from our club.

If they've taken the time and their hard earned money to attend, this is the least our club can do, as my former boss used to say "the cost of doing business". That being said, I mail out about 2-4 after our test.
    APR HR Big Air Buster
    APR HR Crown's Pistol Pete
    Crown's King Gordon
    HR Tiger Mtn's Bodacious Blond
    CPR SHR Lone Tree's Who Wrote the Book?
    CPR SHR Lone Tree's Kimblederry Rose

You have enough to deal with after the event as FTS, unless you leave a self addressed envelope Im not sending it. It hardly ever happens with 1st - RJ, its always Jam ribbons that are left.

By the way Charles C. I still have your 2nd place Derby trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhenee Fadling View Post
    If someone gets a ribbon at our test and has to leave, unless other arrangements have been made, the ribbon gets mailed to them along w/ their point slip, if they've "titled" at our clubs test, I send them a congratulations note from our club.

If they've taken the time and their hard earned money to attend, this is the least our club can do, as my former boss used to say "the cost of doing business". That being said, I mail out about 2-4 after our test.
    You are the secretary? Which club?
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    You are the secretary? Which club?

Elkhorn Valley HRC, Norfolk NE. Secretary/Treasurer 4 years, 4 tests, also our club works well as a team to finalize paperwork.

I've also been the receipient of a mailed ribbon and thank you note for attending a test, can't say how much the club's appreciation of my and my dog's participation in their club ment to me.
    APR HR Big Air Buster
    APR HR Crown's Pistol Pete
    Crown's King Gordon
    HR Tiger Mtn's Bodacious Blond
    CPR SHR Lone Tree's Who Wrote the Book?
    CPR SHR Lone Tree's Kimblederry Rose

A question for those who oppose the "free" mailing of ribbons - is it better than not having these participants show up to run your events?

If I bring multiple dogs and then feel like it is such an imposition or cost prohibitive for you to mail out a ribbon or two, what is my incentive to come again for future events?

My view is, unless the flight would be full with locals anyway, getting some long distance participation is a financial plus, even with the cost of mailing the few ribbons that may be involved. So it must be the nuisance of mailing.

And yes - I have been the test secretary and mailed out ribbons to those who weren't around to pick them up. And the club still made money or not - the cost of mailing was not the big swing on that.

Or my incentive to then consider judging for you in the future?

Just trying to understand.
    "Too late smart, too soon old" - Now I finally get it Grandpa

Dennis Long
    HRCH SHDW MTN Aces and Eights Toby MH "Toby"
    HRCH Barton Creek's Winner Take All MH "Rio"
    Ranger 1997 - 2012
    Ragin' Charge of the Light Brigade "Cannon"