The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Standard Club Protocol for Getting Ribbons to Handlers?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinismybrother View Post
    A question for those who oppose the "free" mailing of ribbons - is it better than not having these participants show up to run your events?

If I bring multiple dogs and then feel like it is such an imposition or cost prohibitive for you to mail out a ribbon or two, what is my incentive to come again for future events?

My view is, unless the flight would be full with locals anyway, getting some long distance participation is a financial plus, even with the cost of mailing the few ribbons that may be involved. So it must be the nuisance of mailing.

And yes - I have been the test secretary and mailed out ribbons to those who weren't around to pick them up. And the club still made money or not - the cost of mailing was not the big swing on that.

Or my incentive to then consider judging for you in the future?

Just trying to understand.
    don't worry much about it. I can't imagine it has ever cost us an entry or a judge. Might argue it gets them to come back the next test to pick it up.
    Last edited by badbullgator; 06-13-2013 at 02:32 PM.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Rhenee Fadling View Post
    Elkhorn Valley HRC, Norfolk NE. Secretary/Treasurer 4 years, 4 tests, also our club works well as a team to finalize paperwork.

I've also been the receipient of a mailed ribbon and thank you note for attending a test, can't say how much the club's appreciation of my and my dog's participation in their club ment to me.
    Just wondering if it was a secretaries point of view.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

I can't imagine anyone getting upset because you didnt mail their ribbon to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhenee Fadling View Post
    Elkhorn Valley HRC, Norfolk NE. Secretary/Treasurer 4 years, 4 tests, also our club works well as a team to finalize paperwork.

I've also been the receipient of a mailed ribbon and thank you note for attending a test, can't say how much the club's appreciation of my and my dog's participation in their club ment to me.
    But mailing a ribbon is not the cost of doing business, for a test or trial. The cost of doing business is having the ribbon available to hand out upon completion of the test. Mailing a ribbon is an extra cost, extra time involved for the secretary. The secretary has enough going on trying to get the AKC report completed, making sure the books are complete and properly filled out. making sure that Entry Express is updated with the results and anything else I may be forgetting.

Now with that being said. I do not necessarily agree with charging for ribbons, however, the argument always seems to be the "long distance traveler" as the one who leaves early. If that is the case, then they know it up front, and should be more than happy to provide a self addressed stamped envelope to accommodate the club.

I think people forget that all of these clubs, and events are VOLUNTEER based. Why would we expect any volunteer to go above and beyond just because someone else wants to leave early for a long drive home. That secretary most likely has to go to work on Monday morning, just like you do, which is most likely the reason why someone with a long drive left in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinismybrother View Post
    A question for those who oppose the "free" mailing of ribbons - is it better than not having these participants show up to run your events?

If I bring multiple dogs and then feel like it is such an imposition or cost prohibitive for you to mail out a ribbon or two, what is my incentive to come again for future events?

My view is, unless the flight would be full with locals anyway, getting some long distance participation is a financial plus, even with the cost of mailing the few ribbons that may be involved. So it must be the nuisance of mailing.

And yes - I have been the test secretary and mailed out ribbons to those who weren't around to pick them up. And the club still made money or not - the cost of mailing was not the big swing on that.

Or my incentive to then consider judging for you in the future?

Just trying to understand.
    My point of view, with 20 + years as FT Sec...I really don't care if you come, or don't come. Your incentive for coming is obvious. Have fun running your dog on the volunteer labor of others. Make handling fee, if you are a pro.
    Get titles, so if/when you breed the dog, you make more money.

Most clubs are non profit. Entry fees are strictly to cover expenses. That's it. You are not paying the club for anything else.
    You are not a guest in a restaurant. You are a user of free labor.

It takes more than 5 minutes to mail several ribbons. With that said, I might do it, if someone asks me nicely. I'm sure not doing it for someone that expects me to be their servant.
    Because they are too lazy to make prior arrangements.
    if that is a bad attitude, so be it. Fire me. "Hire" someone else..No doubt, there are zillions of people, just itching to do the job.

My point of view is...those that enter the event should be kissing the behind of those that do all the volunteer work to put that event on. Not....the other way around. As you seem to think.
    With that said, any Sec can do what suits them. There is no standard.

Hope that helps.
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."

Quote Originally Posted by cakaiser View Post
    My point of view, with 20 + years as FT Sec...I really don't care if you come, or don't come. Your incentive for coming is obvious. Have fun running your dog on the volunteer labor of others. Make handling fee, if you are a pro.

Most clubs are non profit. Entry fees are strictly to cover expenses. That's it. You are not paying the club for anything else.

It takes more than 5 minutes to mail several ribbons. With that said, I might do it, if someone asks me nicely. I'm sure not doing it for someone that expects me to be their servant.
    if that is a bad attitude, so be it. Fire me. "Hire" someone else..No doubt, there are zillions of people, just itching to do the job.

My point of view is...those that enter the event should be kissing the behind of those that do all the volunteer work to put that event on. Not....the other way around. As you seem to think.

Hope that helps.

Good post...............
    Tom Dorroh

Hope that helps.
    my feelings exactly. The older I get and the more times I put in the work the less I care about elitist attitudes like Kevin's brother. Stay the home please.
    Corey Burke

My point of view, with 20 + years as FT Sec...I really don't care if you come, or don't come. Your incentive for coming is obvious. Most clubs are non profit. Entry fees are strictly to cover expenses. That's it. You are not paying the club for anything else.

Hope that helps.
    Really?????????
    Over the course of a years time there are hundreads of events across the country that any one indivedual FT or HT secratary has nothing to do with other than enter if they wish and ...."Have fun running their dog .................................................. ............................"

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    Really?????????
    Over the course of a years time there are hundreads of events across the country that any one indivedual FT or HT secratary has nothing to do with other than enter if they wish and ...."Have fun running their dog .................................................. ............................"

john
    LOL. Classic.
    Welcome back, John. Sincerely hope you are feeling better.
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."

my feelings exactly. The older I get and the more times I put in the work the less I care about elitist attitudes like Kevin's brother. Stay the home please.
    wow - my bad I guess - expecting the same courtesy and effort I give to others. Didn't realize what bad form that was.

trying to be the peanut regards
    "Too late smart, too soon old" - Now I finally get it Grandpa

Dennis Long
    HRCH SHDW MTN Aces and Eights Toby MH "Toby"
    HRCH Barton Creek's Winner Take All MH "Rio"
    Ranger 1997 - 2012
    Ragin' Charge of the Light Brigade "Cannon"