The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Semen Collection While on Chemo???

Default Semen Collection While on Chemo???

Anyone have any experience with this? My vet has a call in to the oncologist.. I guess my question is would the sperm be viable? And would it even be worth attempting? Would love to have a "Gander" puppy, just not sure if its feasible at this point...

Thanks everyone,

Richard
    SHOOT EM' IN THE LIPS..........

HRCH Otter Sloughs Bronze Gander

www.ducksloughkennel.com

Romans 8:28

If your vet has to call the oncologist, anyone elses untrained opinion on here, is just conjecture.

Very true, just wanted some opinions be it from experience or otherwise... I thought maybe someone here had done it successfully or otherwise...

Richard
    SHOOT EM' IN THE LIPS..........

HRCH Otter Sloughs Bronze Gander

www.ducksloughkennel.com

Romans 8:28

somewhere between Boca Grande and Nova Scotia

Chemo effects sperm production very quickly. I have had humans do collections up to 3 days after chemo started, but beyond that you will be collecting nonviable sperm. Spermatogenisis takes about 90 days in most mammals. That is the amount of time it takes for the sperm for go from germ cell to mature sperm cell. Because of that there is always mature sperm "in the pipeline" so to speak and epididimal sperm (close to the end of the pipeline) should not see the effects of chemo for a day or two after treatment starts.
    This is based on human sperm, but most mammalian reproduction is similar, but dog ejaculate is different and has three fractions that may complicate things. Get him collected ASAP and as often as you ca before he starts chemo.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Call Lance Armstrong. He has experience.
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him. Gene Hill

You'll have to collect the dog to know for sure, but the vast majority of dogs on chemo have profound effects on spermatogenesis. This is why we recommend freezing semen prior to starting chemo treatment. Probably one of the most common calls I get from the oncology department. It is also possible to flush the remaining semen from the epidydimis after death if a dog dies suddenly, but it needs to be processed pretty fast, ideally within 24 hours. However, if the dog has been down/ill/on chemo that may not be worth trying as its typically much more expensive with lower quality sperm.

As far as whether its worth attempting, it depends on what his semen quality looks like, but my guess is that he's older and has been ill for a while... neither of those typically correlate with good quality semen. With that said, if its the only thing you've got, bank as much as you can, and maybe you'll only get one breeding out of it if the quality is poor, but at least you have it. I've always figured its better than nothing, and hopefully will give you a nice litter later down the line.
    Natalie Fraser, DVM
    Trifecta Labradors

Home to my heart dog, Hudson:
    Am/Can Ch. Marshyhope's Satisfaction, CGC, WC, CDX, RE, JH

Quote Originally Posted by TexGold View Post
    Call Lance Armstrong. He has experience.
    Ahahahahahahahahaha.

The only problem with following his advice is that you'd spend a lifetime trying to de-cheat those pups.