The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for feedback - Pow Offspring

Default Looking for feedback - Pow Offspring

Considering breeding my female to FC AFC Hardscabbles Powder my Buns. I realize she brings 50% to the equation. That said, I'm wondering what consistent traits have been thrown by Pow to his puppies...good as well as less desirable. I would appreciate feedback from owners of Pow puppies/dogs. Feel free to PM if appropriate.

Thx.
    Tim

pm tracey hughes who posts here as "hughest"(i think). they just bred a fime mh of theirs to pow for the third time. a good friend and training partner has a female from the repeat that looks nice to date. she jammed derby last month at 14 months.

pm danielle who posts as "runnindawgs". she has done nice breedings with pow.

another training partner bred his female to pow and the pups look nice, all have GO.
    john mccallie

I have one of the puppies described above. "GO" is an understatement!
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

Bubba Joiner on here has a male out of Pow and an Izzy female. He is a nice dog. His littermates have qualifying placements and one was #2 derby dog in Canada a couple of years ago. They seem to do well with amateur trainers.
    "That's a fine dog you got there son. Looks like one of ya'll got the brains and the other one got the driver's license.".

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Shanahan View Post
    Considering breeding my female to FC AFC Hardscabbles Powder my Buns. I realize she brings 50% to the equation. That said, I'm wondering what consistent traits have been thrown by Pow to his puppies...good as well as less desirable. I would appreciate feedback from owners of Pow puppies/dogs. Feel free to PM if appropriate.

Thx.
    Tim
    What is your bitch's breeding?
    David Didier, GA

We've had two litters out of Pow and our MH Abby (Cosmo X Lean mac Bitch). We did lots of research and chose Pow specifically because we thought he would be a good fit to help calm some of Abby's desire. Abby is a typical Cosmo offspring - creeping, whining, more drive than is healthy, kind of dog. It takes lots of maintenance to keep her under control. We chose Pow when he was still QAA. That's how much we liked him and thought it would be a good match for her. The weekend we took Abby over to breed to him, he won something like an 80 dog open to get his FC. He went on to get his AFC and Qualify for nationals before the litter was born. How lucky was that, huh? We have been super happy with the breeding. After breeding Abby to two other sires, we felt like we hit jackpot with Pow and went back to it again. We kept two pups out of the first breeding, a YLM and BLF. They are very different, but both are really talented and were MH at 24 months. Both are qualified for MN this year. They will be 3 this month. There is another pup from that first breeding that was on the derby list last year, and has a couple of placements in Q's so far. The second litter is really just now getting old enough to show something, but folks we have talked to are happy with their progress and think they have a bright future.

We went back and bred Abby to Pow in the spring, but that breeding didn't take. Abby is 8 and we had planned on it being her last litter. I guess mother nature decided she was already done. We were really disappointed. We had some really nice competitive homes lined up.

I do think you need to consider your bitch's breeding when deciding who to breed her to, but as a general rule, yes I would definitely recommend Pow as a stud.
    Last edited by hughest; 06-12-2013 at 06:35 PM.
    Tracy Hughes - Crimson Kennels
    www.crimsonkennels.com

Jessica's Chocolate Cait, MH
    Mosby's Big Jake, MH
    Tubby's Maxximum Trouble, MH
    Double G Cosmo's Dream Girl, MH
    Crimson's Coriander Dream, MH
    Johnson's Redwind, MH
    Crimson's TNT By Design, MH
    Crimson's Black Powder Girl, MH

I have a Pow female, she was a SH at 14 months and ran her 1st Masters at that age also.
    No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a Labrador Retriever makes you rich!

www.akskennels.net

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy View Post
    What is your bitch's breeding?
    David, not what I'd call typical. Certainly not by FT standards. That said, below is a link to her pedigree. Characteristically, she also has quite a bit of go and an above average marker. No whining or barking but her achilles heel is she will creep on occasion, usually on short birds or flier. When it comes to studs, I don't think I need to add anymore gas on the fire than average. Certainly not trying to 'add' GO. Open to thoughts. I'm looking for a stud who is known to throw balanced offspring (desire), above average marking, matures early and decent size offspring 60+ lbs when mature.

http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=14048

Thx for feedback and suggestions.
    Tim

I would call up Charlie Jurney and asks his opinion of a suitable stud. I looked at her pedigree and saw she is out of his stud. He won't lead you in a wrong way.

Balance is hard to assure from a breeding, especially an outcross. You usually get one like the sire or one like the bitch. You can train go to sit still, so I'd just look for the absolute best marking dog I could afford as my sire. With Merlyn x Stella, we actually attempted to line breed on Cosmo & the bitch lines were awesome. Scary I know but these pups should be marking fools - we'll see. The one thing I don't like is vocal, so all things considered I'd try to avoid it, all things equal otherwise.
    David Didier, GA