The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1858666768

Thread: 2013 National Amateur Retriever Championship Coverage

It goes without saying that there were some VERY VERY VERY good dogwork there. (duh) I was absolutely amazed as I watched these old guys and gals dig out these "impossible" birds.
    I've read before that on the weekend it's dog against dog, but at a Nat, it's dogs against the judges. Around series 5 or so, I started to notice applause. Not "golf clapping" but true cheering- horns honking and yelling- coming from the gallery and parking when a dog got through a test. I was very impressed, knowing that this SINCERE cheering was coming from fellow competitors. I think it says alot for the Nat Am Ret Club.
    I don't know what the basis for the 2.5 minute hunt rule was, safety or otherwise. I can definitively say that in the 5th series especially I witnessed several dogs that had little or no hunts (straight out there, straight back) that still came back hot. The day was unseasonably warm and humid, long waits in the holding blinds and BIG HILLS. One dog in particular, I'm confident that had he not been picked up, would have went down before he got all the birds. That's my opinion anyway.

These judges liked to sluice. I think the dogs liked it too.
    Last edited by LESTER LANGLEY; 07-04-2013 at 04:48 AM.

I'm not sure how many people caught it, but as per the tradition, the test dog for the tenth got a surprise. All the birds of the quad were thrown/shot simultaneously, each with bright ribbon streamers attached. What many may not know is that they were PINK ribbon/streamers........for Susie Ritch. Susie is currently fighting cancer an was unable to attend this national. That did NOT however, stop her dog, FC PRIDE from showing up and making mama proud. FINALIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! My hat is off to Pete Hayes for the ribbon color choice. Pretty damn cool in my opinion.
    Last edited by LESTER LANGLEY; 07-04-2013 at 04:49 AM.

Dr Ed's comment "the handlers aren't nearly as disturbed as some of the internet observers are"......... Dead On.

"Clean" is a very relative term.

I'm told that the blind before the double in the 3rd/4th was a first for a Nat? That bird was hard regardless.

They went out with a bang. Only one dog did the tenth series marks without help.
    Last edited by LESTER LANGLEY; 07-04-2013 at 04:40 AM.

I met alot of REALLY cool people. I would encourage anyone who can, to participate in a National if ever given the chance. I co chaired a committee and made it a point to welcome anyone who wanted to help as long as they understood the seriousness of the event. Among others, my committee included serious trialers, breeders, hunt testers, a gun dog trainer, a guy who "just likes to train his dog" 2 people who's dogs ended up qualifying, a woman who doesn't own a retriever, and A hall of famer who judged the last Nat Am. We had it all and they all did a great job. I can't thank them enough.

I had no idea how much the Sponsors bring to the table at these events. I lodged with Dennis Bath during my stay and he tried to help me understand lots of aspects of Nationals and the things that have to come together to make them happen. Without significant commitments from the sponsors, it literally would not be possible to hold an event of this magnitude, at least in the way that we are accustomed to seeing it.

Thank you Lester,

It was a good read. Nice to get a perspective from someone working and observing what was going on.
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Quote Originally Posted by LESTER LANGLEY View Post
    I've waited too long to do this, but here goes. I'm fighting insomnia so I thought I'd share my observations on the Nat Am.This is going to be pretty random and unorganized. Please forgive me. That's how my brain works at 2am. (it's usually worse!) I volunteered to help with the Nat Am 3 yrs ago when I learned that it would be in Mondovi. I spend some time up in that area each summer, and wanted to help the local clubs any way I could, with what I knew would be a huge undertaking. I'd never attended a Nat. Am. In fact, I've only attended one other National and that was the Open a couple years ago where I worked as a steward. While most would think I'm nuts to travel that far to work a field trial, I was very excited to be a part (in a small way) of what I consider The World Series, Super Bowl, etc of the only sport that really interests me. I follow each National very closely online, and to be on "the sidelines" was exciting for me. Frankly, it's probably as close to the Purina mat as I'll ever be!
    In no particular order.....
    Cell/Internet communication in this area is nothing short of terrible. That's part of the reason I like the place so much! I had a very hard time communicating with my committee even through text messages. The fact that Retriever News got ANYTHING out is a huge accomplishment in my opinion. Example- 5th Series. On post 108 of this thread, Dr Ed posted a pic. The only way to get data out was through the wifi in Randys house. Therefore, one reporter stayed on the hilltop and recorded the work in a handwritten notebook. About every 3 or 4 dogs one of the team had to walk from the house to the hilltop to trade notebooks in order to go back inside to get the updates online. I don't remember how many dogs were in the 5th, but that was one HELL of a LOT of hill climbing. The pics do NOT do the terrain justice. For the majority of the week someone was most always camped out in a basement trying to get the updates out. NOBODY WANTS THE INFO TO BE AVAILABLE MORE THAN THE CREW FROM THE NEWS.
    Lester, thanks for your write up and your time at the National. It sounds to me like you had an excellent time.

As one of the folks who was frustrated by the communications delays on the blog, I would like to offer an observation and a potential solution. First the observation... We in this game are not known for being "early adapters" to change. We tend to do things a certain way and that's the way it is. A lot of us, including me, like it that way. (To a certain degree). This issue with cell reception has been a problem forever. This is nothing new. You can look back at the daily reports from 10 years ago from past Nationals and the issues are the same. Hilly terrain and poor cell reception. Those are the best places to hold an event like a National.

Now for the possible solution... It so simple I can't believe it hasn't been done. The clubs (NRC or NARC) could rent a Portable Satellite Internet Unit for the week of the National... The cost is pretty low (relatively speaking) a Sat phone would be an alternative that while less effective than the Internet unit, would still beat what they are currently doing.

I have used Sat phones from some very remote places in Alaska and they work great. No cell service needed.

http://www.textamerica.com/inmarsat-satellite-internet

Just my two cents...

Thanks again Lester.
    Bill Davis

Great idea. I'm as bad as anybody when it comes to wanting to follow the play by play online. I think it's good for the sport that so many people are serious about wanting to follow the the event closely.. It definitely needs a solution, as I don't see internet reception getting better any time soon.