The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change of Handler

Question Change of Handler

Change of Handler - if in an AKC test there are two handlers listed in the event booklet ... and the primary handler runs the 1st series and then is unable to run the next series due to an illness or other unforeseen circumstance can the other handler finish the next series?

.....yes.....
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

ive seen handlers swap simply because a dog ran better blinds for one than the other, and the next series was double blinds. Untill marshals and judges start checking id's no one will ever be any wiser to a swap, regardless of what the rule book says.

I would venture to say anyone can run the dog if for some reason the handler listed cannot run the dog.
    Sometimes I see three handlers listed, but that's another topic.
    Tom Dorroh

Maybe the answer is different to the stake.
    Ht likely can have handler changes ( unless we had am owner handler ht-do we have rules to support that )
    Ft opens could have handler changes but maybe not all handlers could do the amateur or maybe even the qualifying

Love the question
    Dk

Great question for me Too!..for different reasons.
    I can't comment on the rules of US Tests!
    UK Tests however require the nominated handler and dog for that individual test. But my thinking is the test is the ability aptitude and training of the dog , not the handler?
    I train many dogs for different handlers, but the dog does the test? Doesn't it?

I am running two dogs for two different owners in the same test this weekend. I would love the scenario where the two were in a 'run-off' for first place and have the option of 'the owners to run the dogs in that situation'?
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Arent they judging the dog? not the handler?
    Why would it matter

Depends who collects the trophy or what name is on it I expect?
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Changing handlers in an Open can be a headache when a pro handles the dog and then an Amateur handles the dog or vice versa and the dog places. AKC asks if an Amateur handled a placing dog in the Open stake. It is important that the Open marshal notes on the marshal sheet who handled the dog so the F. T. Secretary can list if an Amateur handled the placing dog.

Helen

Quote Originally Posted by birdboy View Post
    ive seen handlers swap simply because a dog ran better blinds for one than the other, and the next series was double blinds. Untill marshals and judges start checking id's no one will ever be any wiser to a swap, regardless of what the rule book says.
    What DOES the rule book say?