The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Marking!

Default Marking!

Help! my JH that pinned every mark last year is running real big on marks. We spent late winter and spring working on PB, WW lining & casting and progressed to cold blinds. While I did some marks during the winter-spring likely not enough. Now I need to get him back on track. Last week at training nite a double thrown into tall grass about 40 yds. He proceeded to take a straight line right past the mark and hunted a 5 acre field. Did the same thing on the memory bird. Needed help to get the marks. This has been the case the last month on at least half of his marks.
    What marking drills would get him back on track?

I would start with walking singles...No cover to begin with and then add short then move on to heavy....Are you using birds or bumpers? In heavy cover bumpers are hard to find at times..Don't help the dog...get a chair and get comfortable and let him hunt ...A tired dog will pay closer attention most of the time ...There is a limit on the number of marks you can do before you run out of dog...Keep over heating in mind this time of the year....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

back pile drill and swim by have to work for people i know

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    I would start with walking singles...No cover to begin with and then add short then move on to heavy....Are you using birds or bumpers? In heavy cover bumpers are hard to find at times..Don't help the dog...get a chair and get comfortable and let him hunt ...A tired dog will pay closer attention most of the time ...There is a limit on the number of marks you can do before you run out of dog...Keep over heating in mind this time of the year....Steve S
    X2. This is very common with dogs that perceive a lot of pressure handling or have just been handled a lot. The best success I have had is to just sit down and let them hunt

Sounds like he is out of balance. Look at your ratio of marks to blinds and drills. It is expected during this phase for marking to go down, time to get him focused again

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Thanks Everyone, all great ideas.