The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Running Momma

Default Running Momma

So there have been plenty of threads on here about running a pregnant bitch. But what about running one who is still nursing puppies?

Seems like my girl knew I wasn't going to get her any work while she was carrying, but now that the pups are a week old, she keeps looking at me with these pleading eyes. When I put on a cammo hat, or grab the bag of bumpers to train the other dog, she jumps out of the whelping box and comes running over.

Two days ago I let her have about a 200 yard mark, just to see what she'd do. She nailed it - almost no hunt at all, but she was kind of winded when she came back.

Should I let her work, or not?

485617_210449375770274_923739835_n.jpg

I let mine work but I keep it really short. Your girl is using a lot of calories just being a mom right now. Don't want to stress a momma.
    Jeannie Greenlee

Blazinlakes Legally Blonde CDX JH NAJ RA WC OD (1st Retriever)
    HRCH Smokingold Guns Up CCA WCX CD MH
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokingoldretrievers/home

Your dog's primary "Job" now is to nourish, clean, and raise a litter of pups for 3 weeks and give them the best possible start in life. Let her have her brief maternity leave and if your still in a hurry to get her back in training start weaning around 3-4 weeks old or as soon as teeth erupt and pups are eating well on solids. You can have pups totally weaned at 5 weeks and resume field work at that time after the dam has an opportunity to dry up. Is this your first litter?????
    Last edited by frontier; 06-12-2013 at 01:48 PM.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

It is our first litter.

I'm not in a hurry - hunting season is still several months off, and we're a few months off from the tests we were planning on running. I've got a yellow pup that's 14 weeks, that is about to start getting the basics soon, so I'm occupied.

I just can't stand those pitiful eyes when I go to take the other dog out. She makes me feel like a deadbeat dad for not letting her go.

My recent mom really wanted to do some training right away too so I did some obedience with her in the side yard. She's been training for utility, and that seemed to make her happy just to do a few little exercises. Maybe something short, more mental vs physical?

In a trialer in the forest,down by the river

the answer to most these type questions is found in good old common sense.
    Train for Total Confidence not Total Compliance
    ------------->"Let 'em Roll"<--------------
    4xGMPR HRCH Sauble River "Gator"
    GMPR HRCH HRKs Liberators Outlaw "Rondo" SH
    GMPR VeraGators Smokin' Diablo of G'Force "Smokey"
    ---> Outlaw Upland~Waterfowl Labs <---

I would wait til shes weaned the pups. I wouldnt want those bags swinging while she was full of milk,cant be good for them.
    its hard sometimes when stuff is going ont but its best if she can just concentrate on being mom- the older they get the less she will want to stay with them and so if you let her not be attentive this early-it will be harder for you later on. Theyre only a week old right?
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Quote Originally Posted by Billie View Post
    the older they get the less she will want to stay with them and so if you let her not be attentive this early-it will be harder for you later on. Theyre only a week old right?
    Truth. We're already noticing that she'll get in the box to feed them, but gets out and sleeps on the floor next to the box until they start squeaking for food again.

Yep, they're only 10 days old, but growing like crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Billie View Post
    I would wait til shes weaned the pups. I wouldnt want those bags swinging while she was full of milk,cant be good for them.
    its hard sometimes when stuff is going ont but its best if she can just concentrate on being mom- the older they get the less she will want to stay with them and so if you let her not be attentive this early-it will be harder for you later on. Theyre only a week old right?
    I was really worried about that w/ Kiku (esp since she did NOT read the book on mothering w/ regard to whelping!), but amazingly enough, she improved w/ time on her nurturing skills. She was still standing for them to nurse at 8 wks, even though I had to dry her up starting ~5 wks due to extreme weight loss and she had NO milk by then! I don't mind if mom spends some time away from ~10 days on esp, since what I've found is they are often producing so much milk, the puppies seem to overnurse and get diarrhea. Yuck! I interfere less and less now. I agree w/ you on the boobs swinging. That hurts to watch.

My Girl was into to puppies until about 2.5 weeks, then it was all I could do to lock her in the room with them. She did better if I'd take her out and do something with her, we dealt with the swinging by having her wear a vest, and an Ace bandage wrap. Around 3 wks and the last few days prior to weaning I was putting her on a down stay in the box, to ensure they'd at least get 2 good feedings a day. As soon as they were eating on their own, I surrendered and took Mom duck hunting. When we got back she did go find them, but once they started screaming she was gone. After that she'd check up on them; but the puppies were pretty much my responsibility. Dang-Dead beat Moms
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)