The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Lose Weight?

Default Lose Weight?

I have one that is a little over weight and have cutt the food back, she has been loosing about a pound a week or 2 pounds a month. Its hard to say for sure how much she loses since shes been on meds for awhile.
    Last vet visit she lost a pound in a week.
    I am trying to get her to lose more weight, but wondering if there is a guide line to go go by(how many pounds a month to loose?)
    She is not real fat and you can see some ribs. But I know Its hard to say without seeing her.
    Just wondering if you have one on a diet, how quick should you expect results, a week,month?
    She lost 7 or 8 ponds from her last year check up.
    Just dont want to over do it

Not sure how old she is but my 11yo is on ProPlan Weight Management now. After 3 weeks he has lost 3 pounds. He weighed 77lb and is now down to 74. We are running him every day and letting him swim every day to keep his joints mobile. I also have him on Best in Show Enhanced for Glucosamine etc. Hoping he will loose more. He still is very active. I don't want to over do it either and that is why I am checking in with the vet periodically. He loves food!!!Good luck to you. It is hard when they look at you like they have not eaten!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Thanks,
    She is only 5 years young, but gained the weight when she had a litter a couple or three years ago. I havnt been training much in past year due to injuries with dogs and work.
    I Feed Purina one (Not Pro Plan26/16) Wished I new how much weight lose in a time frame would be healthy.

It is hard to tell without looking at the dog but if you can see some ribs you are either at or below ideal body conditioning. Why the push to lose weight?

She seems kinda wide to me.
    I dont know if the litter of pups spread her rib cage out or what.
    I have to to to her back to vet next week and will ask him.

Generally, a dog that looses 1-2% of body weight per week will loose fat without sacrificing muscle mass. If they loose weight faster than that, they are probably loosing muscle as well. So, for a 75lb dog, that's a maximum of 1.5 lbs per week.

I've been weighing Hudson weekly since we started back in work. He had gotten quite fat... I lost my dog food measuring cup and thought I could "eye ball" it, until I looked at him one day and went, dang, you're as big as a house!!! Anyway, long story short, he's been on a diet for about 4 weeks and has gone from 84# to 79#. I'd like him to get down closer to 74, especially in the warmer months. I noticed that he "yo yo'd" the first 2 weeks, and since then has been steadily loosing about 1.5# per week. There are some calculators online that you can use for calorie content for weight loss, but I think they overestimate calorie needs quite a bit. I just kept cutting back his food by 10-15% until he started loosing, and now I'm weighing him weekly to make sure he's not loosing to quickly.
    Natalie Fraser, DVM
    Trifecta Labradors

Home to my heart dog, Hudson:
    Am/Can Ch. Marshyhope's Satisfaction, CGC, WC, CDX, RE, JH

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    She seems kinda wide to me.
    I dont know if the litter of pups spread her rib cage out or what.
    I have to to to her back to vet next week and will ask him.
    Check out this link. It's pretty much the standard.
    http://purinaveterinarydiets.com/res.../dog_chart.pdf

The way things have been going with sickness and injuries have been getting them wieghed often.
    Been playinig with snakes past couple days.
    I can see ribs if she turns.
    Thanks for the replies,

My BLF was (still is) on a diet. She is small framed and was weighing @ 68 lbs. I would say over the last month she has lost 6-7 lbs. Feeding her PPP sport, 1 cup i n morning 1 cup at night. Unfortunately I dont have the time to run her as much as I would like (tomorrow, 3 mile hike and bumper throws in the lake). She looks good now but would like to see her down another pound or two.